Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Cybsled

This is pretty interesting. It seems like more and more studies are finding pretty tangible links between our micro-biomes and our overall health or mental status. The autism link is intriguing and it also makes me wonder if based on this, there might be further studies to determine what drives the micro-biome in these impacted individuals. Does the mother lack the proper biome? Does the biome change with age and that impacts things? Is it changes in diet/etc? Super fascinating stuff.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
This is pretty interesting. It seems like more and more studies are finding pretty tangible links between our micro-biomes and our overall health or mental status. The autism link is intriguing and it also makes me wonder if based on this, there might be further studies to determine what drives the micro-biome in these impacted individuals. Does the mother lack the proper biome? Does the biome change with age and that impacts things? Is it changes in diet/etc? Super fascinating stuff.

Good read.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Since autism is heavily genetic in origin, the gut biome link is probably the expression trigger.

I'm also pretty sure that someone is going to say that vaccines kill your good gut bacteria, and so cause autism, because it's always about vaccines.

• 4Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Since autism is heavily genetic in origin, the gut biome link is probably the expression trigger.

I'm also pretty sure that someone is going to say that vaccines kill your good gut bacteria, and so cause autism, because it's always about vaccines.
What if it is a vaccine against a specific gut bacteria that induces the expression or repression of genes that lead to autism?!

• 1Worf
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Autism pisses me off, even more than cancer. I don't really know any autists (except you fuckers of course) but there's something about a syndrome that seems to have become an epidemic in my lifetime that makes me want to eradicate it.

Here's to hoping the link with the gut biome is relevant enough to provide some answers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well it is an epidemic. The CDC states 1 out of 68 kids born are diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and it's just getting worse as time goes on. And it is worse in boys than girls. 1 in 42 boys versus 1 in 189 girls are diagnosed.

Capture.JPG

• 2Like

Cybsled

Although it is important to keep in mind that the way and means by which they diagnose the condition has changed since the early days. It becomes hard to determine if rates have actually gone up, or we're just detecting it more/have increased the range at which someone will be diagnosed as autistic.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Or what if "autism" has just become a catch-all term that's being over used so much that it doesn't mean anything anymore? Maybe it's been co-opted by shitty parents that are disappointed they didn't raise perfect little Stepford children and lazy doctors that want to keep their smoking hot pharmaceutical rep happy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I always thought the difference in autism rates between genders might be due to different behavioral expectations for girls than for boys. Girls can get away with being "weird" more easily in the modern day.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Or what if "autism" has just become a catch-all term that's being over used so much that it doesn't mean anything anymore? Maybe it's been co-opted by shitty parents that are disappointed they didn't raise perfect little Stepford children and lazy doctors that want to keep their smoking hot pharmaceutical rep happy.
Part of me wants to believe that medical researchers and doctors would have the kind of data to show a tripling of rates of autistic behavior in a couple decades that isn't explained by changing definitions and classification, but with the pathetic state of any social science that's politically involved, who knows.

• 2Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
When they lumped ADHD and bipolar disorder into autism....I think that's wrong. I do hope they redefine this shit. It's so convoluted.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
seems to me to be a general misinterpretation of standard chemistry, biology and physics. it's been quite conclusively shown that consciousness is an after-the-fact rationalization of pre-determined responses to stimuli put in a social context. some people don't like it and, like this guy, try to rebel against the fact that we are all robots engineered for social savvy. he doesn't approach the subject of false memories, self-deception and social rationalization because they easily undermine his argument. him trying to liken a single-cell eukaryote to the synapses in the nervous system is another example of not understanding the underlying chemical mechanics of the situation. he asks if life derived from pi resonance in important carbohydrates, which it did just as much as from other electron interactions.

Speech about movement, and how our entire brain developed to facilitate prediction required for complex movement. Every movement you do is effectively run through a simulation of "how it should go" a split second before you actually do it, and its the 'noise' between how it actually goes and how we think it will play out that allows us to hone our reactions to stimuli (And its why locomotion for animals is so fluid).

Going off what you said here, consciousness may just be a product of us being able to alter that simulation/predictive ability in far more abstract ways. We can effectively simulate things we're not just about to do, in order to prepare ourselves to build new reactions. But in the moment, as you said, nothing you do has a conscious control. The belief that we do is a lie to keep us from freaking out (The hemisphere brain tests they did are mind boggling on this.)

But its the ability to simulate and essentially "prepare" to learn new reactions/stimuli without randomly discovering it through trial and error which might define consciousness. Or we're like a plane that flies only with auto-pilot. We believe our conscious minds are pilots, but we're not, we never actually fly the plane...What we can do though is alter the auto-pilot so it can fly the plane in various ways, the more complex the change, the more difficult it is to alter the 'code'. (Which is essentially what practice is.)

Anyway, not sure how precise all the above is, but its an interesting set of theories as to why we have a 'conscious' mind if its not in control from moment to moment.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Proving, yet again that we dont know shit.
Major downside to this.
The freaks that believe in hollow earth theory are going to go full blown deep over this.

This will undoubtedly start another major tech boom as we try to harvest the water.

Mysterious freshwater reservoir found hidden beneath the ocean

Scientists have found a gigantic freshwater aquifer hidden deep below the ocean.

The surprising discovery, from a new survey of the sub-seafloor off the northeast U.S. coast by researchers from Columbia University, appears to to be the largest formation of this type anywhere in the world — stretching from Massachusetts to New Jersey and extending continuously out about 50 miles to the edge of the continental shelf.

Researchers said that if it was discovered on the surface it would create a lake covering some 15,000 square miles.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Algorithm trained on a corpus of academic papers in material science discovers the periodic table, predicts future discoveries and implies existence of unknown materials.

Seems the algorithm finds the unseen/unknown knowledge within the connections made by scientists as they build upon existing knowledge. Very neat.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Algorithm trained on a corpus of academic papers in material science discovers the periodic table, predicts future discoveries and implies existence of unknown materials.

Seems the algorithm finds the unseen/unknown knowledge within the connections made by scientists as they build upon existing knowledge. Very neat.

Someone should ask it if Communism is a viable form of governance and if the people who run big tech should be in prison for trying to force it on the world.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user