Skyrim

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Blackreach, definitely Blackreach. That place blew my mind first time I found it, since I was good at avoiding spoilers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Is there any point in grabbing the special edition to replace a graphically modded PC version?

I've heard that it's barely better than the vanilla game, and worse if you've already modded with high res textures and such. It's a free download for me, but obviously I'll steer clear if there aren't any benefits to be found.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
At this moment I'd say stick with old Skyrim. With mods it still looks better than the minor additions that came with SSE. In a year? Depends on how the SSE mod scene has caught up.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The only reason to play the new version is because its way more stable, but that's almost irrelevant without large modifications.

But it is way more stable. Hope they do to Fallout 4 whatever they've done to Skyrim to make it run so rock solid.

Caliane

its probably just all your mods are broken, so the base game is way more stable. haha.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Nah they did make some stability improvements. I have a separate install for older version of Skyrim with Enderal mod, and then I have this install that's completely clean.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Did they recompile for 64bit so we don't have a retarded 4GB memory limit?
Yes, it should be running a similar updated engine to what Fallout 4 has.

Quote from r/skyrimmods:
PC users will also benefit from the improved memory availability compared to the base game. With the massive size of mods available on PC, many PC users are running up against a 4 GB VRAM limit due to a bug in dx9. With the upgrade to dx11, this bug will no longer affect them. In addition, the 64bit executable will be able to use an unlimited amount of RAM. While very few PC users run out of RAM currently, some do manage it and this will improve their performance and stability. It's not known whether the memory bug that SKSE/crash fixes addresses is fixed in the SSE. It's reported that this is fixed in FO4, so it's probable that it's fixed in SSE as well, but it's not a guarantee.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Did they recompile for 64bit so we don't have a retarded 4GB memory limit?

Yeah, the memory thing is fixed by moving to 64 bit. They kept the old Skyrim scripting system instead of using the F4 system (and having to rewrite all of Skyrim's scripts) so that part is still just as finicky as ever.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
The biggest 'hidden' graphical improvement I've noticed from just a few short minutes in game is that OUTDOOR SHADOWS DON'T TICK EVERY 6 SECONDS!! I always thought this was ridiculously de-immersing and never found a fix for it (one of you will probably link something that changes it) but now the base game has continually slowly moving sunlight shadows. Frankly I'm surprised it's not in that brodual video!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
(one of you will probably link something that changes it)

Smooth sun-shadow transitions
fSunShadowUpdateTime sets the speed of sun-shadow transitions in seconds. It is recommended to be adjusted to minimize the transitions. The value here increases the speed of the transition from one second to a quarter second. fSunUpdateThreshold sets the time between sun-shadow transitions. A value of 0.05 is equal to 1 second, so a value of 1 equals 20 seconds. Increasing this also increases the distance the shadows will move during the transition. It is recommended to be adjusted to minimize the transitions. The tweak here increases the time between transitions from 10 to 30 seconds, causing the transition to move the shadows three times as far.

fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.25
fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5

There were settings in one of the INI files to smooth it out a bit but never actually fix it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
In my original play through I went 2 handed which I loved. Trying to mix it up now and go dual wield with a bit of magic. The dual wielding seems super awkward. Is it just me? Not loving it.

Also made a pure caster but spells not scaling suck. I didn't see scaling mentioned in the two mods linked does either of them scale the spells?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
In my original play through I went 2 handed which I loved. Trying to mix it up now and go dual wield with a bit of magic. The dual wielding seems super awkward. Is it just me? Not loving it.

Also made a pure caster but spells not scaling suck. I didn't see scaling mentioned in the two mods linked does either of them scale the spells?
There's a mod that adds % scaling to spells. It's very simple and makes spell casting not tedious.

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

The Ordinator mod does rework magic damage with a whole slew of perk changes.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Blackreach, definitely Blackreach. That place blew my mind first time I found it, since I was good at avoiding spoilers.

Same here. Hell it still blows me away. I think I spent 30 hours down there and still didn't see everything.

• 1Like