So Los Angeles sucks

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you're into museums/art there's theGetty VillaandGetty Center.
Do Disneyland during the week.
Is there anything else in particular you're looking to do? Or types of activities you enjoy? Things you don't have where you're from?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Not really sure. My wife wants to do one of those TMZ bus tours and see the Hollywood sign. How is the Zoo? We love zoos.

What are some good places to eat? Right now we are splitting our trip into two phases. First few days we will be north of LA. Then the last few days we are changing hotels to the Anaheim area so we can hit Disney.

And for the record, Disney is awesome even as adults. They go all out on their rides and shows. It's an absolute blast. But you get super sick of screaming kids and fatties in scooters. I'll grant you that one. We've never been to Land before but we love going to Disneyworld in Florida. I know Land is a lot smaller but we can knock off some other things to do as well.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
LA Zoo is so so. The San Diego Zoo is world class. Would be about an hour drive south from Anaheim if that is worth it to you.

Vinen

God is dead
Not really sure. My wife wants to do one of those TMZ bus tours and see the Hollywood sign. How is the Zoo? We love zoos.

What are some good places to eat? Right now we are splitting our trip into two phases. First few days we will be north of LA. Then the last few days we are changing hotels to the Anaheim area so we can hit Disney.

And for the record, Disney is awesome even as adults. They go all out on their rides and shows. It's an absolute blast. But you get super sick of screaming kids and fatties in scooters. I'll grant you that one. We've never been to Land before but we love going to Disneyworld in Florida. I know Land is a lot smaller but we can knock off some other things to do as well.
Adults at Disney without kids = Full blown Jared.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
You have this strange obsession with Disney and pedophiles. Perhaps you should look inward and start asking yourself some tough questions.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord

There are a TON of great restaurants in Los Angeles, mainly because of our cultural diversity. I would use Yelp (it's big on the west coast, dunno why not so much on the EC) if you need help choosing a restaurant based on your personal tastes. Tons of sushi restaurants, but most are owned by Korean wannabes, you will want to stay closer to Little Tokyo or downtown LA for the real stuff.

If you are a foodie, then these are the restaurants I would recommend:

Providence - personally my favorite.
Melisse - good date place.
Ink - trendy, usually good for star (famous people) gazing
Animal - really interesting menu
Chi Spacca - crazy good for meats like steak and lamb
Ostera Mozza - probably over-hyped, but it's decent for Italian food.
Angelini Osteria - this is where you want to go if you want authentic Italian food. Another star-gazing restaurant.
Urasawa - once-in-a-lifetime sushi experience.
Sugarfish - this is a chain, but still better than 99% of the sushi places you would find outside of NY, San Fran, and LA. The LA is kind of pedestrian but I put it here because if you are visiting it's a safe bet.
Nobu - go to the one in Malibu, awesome views, once again you are likely to see someone famous.

If you want to visit a zoo, the San Diego one is the one you want to visit, that or the Wild Animal Park (also in San Diego). This is about a 3 hour drive from Los Angeles. I personally wouldn't visit the LA Zoo unless you don't come from a big city and haven't visited a decent sized zoo before.

Griffith Park is a cool place to hang out and picnic, plus it has the observatory.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Sugarfish is terrible and I cannot understand why people out here like it when there are 1000 other better places. And, Urasawa is probably going to run you north of a grand for 2 people to eat. My recommendation would be Shunji which is still semi expensive but also really fucking good, especially the specials.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
That doesn't even get into the various latin (ie. non-mexican), korean, regular japanese, persian, etc. food that is available out here. I just went to Raffi's in Glendale for the first time, never cared for Persian food before but that shit was amazing.

And yeah, Urasawa is $500 a person minimum as some of the sashimi they put gold flakes on it and shit. It is a once in a lifetime experience but it's also whack for that type of money. I've been going to Wa for 13 years now, 2 of Nobu's original chef's at Matsuhisa, but you can find similar places to that all over. Good sushi is easy to come by here, great on the other hand takes effort. Hide on Sawtelle is another great spot, cash only and the ambiance is terrible. The fish is amazing though.

Edit: Also if you're going to recommend high-end touristy places here and not say Mastros then you should just shoot yourself. I'm at the Beverly Hills one once a week getting Tomahawks for work with clients, it is somewhat of a joke on how much it is but by god it's amazing.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
what would a non-mexican latin signature dish you might get there be? i've had cuban and puerto rican and it's not especially distinct.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Maybe I should add that neither my wife or myself are really into seafood ;-) We love us some steak though.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
what would a non-mexican latin signature dish you might get there be? i've had cuban and puerto rican and it's not especially distinct.
Peruvian is my favorite. Their ceviche dishes are more like sashimi due to the large Japanese population that lives in Peru. They also use chimichurri with their steaks which is the greatest steak sauce ever invented.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
that does sound good. GIS for peruvian ceviche

i6VzLia.jpg

the incan empire will rise again!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Like Brando, my favorite is probably Peruvian. The aforementioned ceviche and lomo saltado are $$$.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Saltado de Pollo is the absolute bomb. Also, if you want to go full on Meat Sweats, check out M Grill in Koreatown. It's the best churrascaria in town, in my opinion.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
See that just gets me thinking about all the hole in the wall places around the city that are a mish-mash of different cultures all mixed together and are awesome. One of my kids had a soccer tourney in La Habra a couple of weeks ago, we ended up at a Shabu Shabu restaurant where we were the only white/latin people in the joint with everybody else some type of Asian and yet the place was bumping mid 90's west coast rap on the speakers and the food was amazing. Never had a choice in broths before, made such a difference getting a salted miso over the typical beef bone.

LA definitely doesn't suck, you just have to work a little to find what you like.

Edit: Here's the yelp on the Shabu place we were atYelp - Ichi Ichi Fusion Shabu Tempura - Japanese - 18184 Colima Rd - Rowland Heights, CA - Reviews - Photos

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Well, the whole Rowland Heights area is now Chinatown 2.0, so tons of good Asian places out there like that shabu shabu place you found.

Probably the best Chinese food is Sam Woo's, not that big a secret, tons of locations now, but quick decent meals at affordable prices. Cash only of course. Don't be dissuade by the chickens, pigs, and ducks hanging near the front window! I personally go to the one in Van Nuys.

Speaking of Peruvian food, I would recommend Picca. It's kind of Peruvian/Japanese fusion, the food is good and the atmosphere is really fun.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm a big fan of Peruvian as well. And speaking of sushi, there's a place not too far from me that is peruvian/japanese fusion, with 3? full time sushi chefs(?). It's just a little hole in the wall, but pretty awesome.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sushi Zo is awesome for sushi, probably my favorite, if you can stand the cold and careless customer service, something that doesn't bother me at all, I am not there to make friends. Nobu is crap IMO, just some place for people to look at each other rather than enjoy awesome food.

Mastro's is definitely the best steak in the city, but there are a lot of more trendy steak places with the same crowds as Nobu which might be of more interest to a lot of people.

One thing LA has lots of is trendy hipster places like Animal, for instance, which try to bring something different to the table, definitely try to check some of those out.