Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I liked it. Villain was pretty impressive and gyllenhaal is good in the role. Some general silliness around the edges but it was a good superhero story imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed this last night - but honestly one thing bothered me

"The feeling of them using Mysterio just like The Mandarin and not getting a true Mysterio in the end and like Mandarin the potential of him showing up is nil - I like how he was portrayed in a sense but id have liked the real Mysterio with Multi-verse concept"

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The beginning had me like, "Oh no, is this going to be the worst?" but pace continued right along and inserted enough good that I basically forgot the bad.

MJ's character got worse. I defended her character before saying she was fine but just not MJ (e tu Flash), but as she develops she to me becomes less likable. Sure she hits the awkward notes and has the awkward interests, but she doesn't exude the awkward charm that RL awkward girls do - that translates to cardboard acting and unbelievable performances. Her interests are also offputting, and not offputting in a cool counter-culture way, but more like there is no reason for him to have an interest in her way.

Did anybody else think the friend shined in this?

Does Namor even have a fanbase?

There are two end credit scenes, if you haven't read it already. I tell you now so you know it's worth sitting because sometimes there's a wait with a big nothing to show for it.

First end credit
Holy multiverse Batman. Same actors?!? I had thought who could possibly take the mantle and the answer is don't!?
Second end
I may have missed something. I saw him get up and round the corner. As he rounds he calls people to action. I look down for just long enough to miss what's in the room that he rounds the corner to. Person in front me exclaims and I look up, but scene ends before I can process anything. I asked an usher what it was but he gave me a nonanswer. Was there a big reveal in that room/hanger?

spronk

FPS noob
uh what Conefed Conefed ? That wasn't anything like the first end credit I saw, not sure what you saw. will detail in spoilers

saw this today in dolby, 8.5/10. The first 40 minutes is GREAT and feels very much like a phase 2 MCU movie. The villain reveal in the middle I didn't love, in fact I kinda hated it. But the last act is pretty good and I came around, Spider-man feels VERY authentic by the end and hits every spidey note I can think of. There is a 10 minute middle sequence that felt like it was transplated from Into the spider verse (animated) and its AWESOME. Some really great action set pieces in this movie.

Totally, totally worth a watch for any spidey or MCU fan, even any rando will enjoy the movie. The humor is paced very well, a tad bit below GOTG or Thor 3 but more often than IW/Endgame for sure.

There is a mid credits scene that is 10000% worth sticking around for, maybe the best mid credits scene in any MCU movie, and a post credits scene thats pretty standard but worth a watch.

ending/midcredits
The mid credits scene has (dead) Mysterio releasing a video "for his home universe" (fake) that blames all the shenanigans on Spider-man and reveals he is Peter Parker. It also has JK Simmons back as Jonah Jameson which is AWESOME. There was nothing about multiverses?

That was the one thing that kinda bummed me about the movie, I was all hyped in the middle for multiverse being real and Thanos ripping holes between them and cool stuff in the future but it turns out Mysterio is just an angry nerd.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
ending/midcredits
The mid credits scene has (dead) Mysterio releasing a video "for his home universe" (fake) that blames all the shenanigans on Spider-man and reveals he is Peter Parker. It also has JK Simmons back as Jonah Jameson which is AWESOME. There was nothing about multiverses?

That was the one thing that kinda bummed me about the movie, I was all hyped in the middle for multiverse being real and Thanos ripping holes between them and cool stuff in the future but it turns out Mysterio is just an angry nerd.
Same actor playing same character. Either the two are linked, which they aren't or it's multiverse. What if dude that plays Wolverine shows up as Wolverine. Same thing.

• 1Seriously?

Fadaar

That guy
Same actor playing same character. Either the two are linked, which they aren't or it's multiverse. What if dude that plays Wolverine shows up as Wolverine. Same thing.

Pretty sure they brought back JK Simmons because he's fucking awesome

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
Yeah I'm pretty sure his return didn't mark any kind of multiverse. Sorry man.

• 1Salty

spronk

FPS noob
the bigger wtf is
So if Nick Fury was a Skrull how did he understand Happy's "secret msg" to him?

There were a lot of internal nods that the story is kinda stupid

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
CM has had a push for like 3 years now and was basically established.

marvel was pushing captain marvel hard for several years, but no one actually LIKED any of the stuff she was showing up in. i'm one of the only people i know that liked carol danvers and even i know her only real contribution to the world of comics is giving rogue her powers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Isn't this due for a reboot, yet? It seems like every time I turn around, Sperder-Man is being rebooted.

Word on the street is that Jonah Hill is going to be the next Peter Parker.

• 2Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Isn't this due for a reboot, yet? It seems like every time I turn around, Sperder-Man is being rebooted.

This guy is too perfect to get a reboot

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

peter porker, amirite?!

i know fat jokes are low blows.

also, i know he's lost a bunch of weight so it's not even that funny.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Enjoyed this.

Early on in the movie I was really kinda getting annoyed that somehow Sam Jackson was managing to over-act Nick Fury (...I know, right!?) and/or was just kinda phoning it in. That ended up being explained away by the end credits scene. I did notice when he said 'Mysterio is from your Earth' rather than 'our Earth', but missed that Hill in the opening scene called him Nick, not Fury. That mid-credits scene, fuck, they went there. I doubt Mephisto will be showing up to undo the forthcoming mess.

The Mysterio stuff was fantastic, among the best sequences I've ever seen in comic movies and I feel really did spirit of the character justice. Didn't find the kids stuff very annoying, though Zendaya's awkwardness came across a bit rough to me in a few scenes. Pretty happy with Peter and MJ finally becoming Peter and MJ.

• 1Solidarity

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Does Namor even have a fanbase?

Did the Guardians of the Galaxy have a fanbase pre-movie? The MCU is kinda famous for launching with all the (formally) trash-tier stuff like Iron Man, etc.., because all the stuff with an actual fanbase (at the time) like X-Men or Spiderman had been contracted out for moneys.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I loved it. And the anagram for EDITH made me laugh.
Also, when Peter brings up Captain Marvel... Nick (the Skull) says let's not mention her? Hmm...
They really handled Mysterio's origin story well, and really tied it into the universe during the 'bad guy' reveal. Also, the CGI is amazing. This was a damn entertaining movie.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Also, when Peter brings up Captain Marvel... Nick (the Skull) says let's not mention her? Hmm...

He said something along the lines of "do not invoke her name" which stood way out to me as a super odd line until the post credit scene. Then it became more odd as to why the skrull would say something like that, but I guess we will find out in CM2