Spring 2017 Anime Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Kado was a huge step from previous episodes. Major plot shift with the conclusion of last week and the entirety of this week. But it was still a good episode.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Attack on titans S2 could have been made into 3 episodes. We're left pretty much where it started!

• 1Like

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
5/10 on season 2 of AoT for me.

- Padded to shit.
- Barely anything happened.
- Historia is such a fucking stupid name.

I don't follow the manga at all. Is this going to be like Game of Thrones where each book = 1 season? How many books are there in the manga?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
5/10 on season 2 of AoT for me.

- Padded to shit.
- Barely anything happened.
- Historia is such a fucking stupid name.

I don't follow the manga at all. Is this going to be like Game of Thrones where each book = 1 season? How many books are there in the manga?
roughly, most anime and manga share a 1:1 ratio of episode to chapter, in effect most eps just use the manga as a rough storyboard. Latest AOT manga is 94, so there's your anime/manga math.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
You are going to hate S3 haha. S4 is a mindfuck though.

I read some of the more recent manga chapters just cause I was curious about some stuff. How long until --

We get to see the outside world and that whole arc?

• 1Like

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I read some of the more recent manga chapters just cause I was curious about some stuff. How long until --

this feels like the HxH reboot arc just drags on forever and never gets to the good stuff.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

There's 2 arcs before outside world. Will probably just be one season but could be two...
The next arc has no titans and is all about Christa and Levi's backstories and the Royal Family/Coordinate power, lots of action against Military Police with anti human ODM gear.

The arc after that is retaking the wall, the basement and fighting Beast/Armoured/Collossal Titans at Shinganshima.

Then it's the current arc outside the wall, huge mindfuck but they already showed something with Ymir's flask back.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's 2 arcs before outside world. Will probably just be one season but could be two...
The next arc has no titans and is all about Christa and Levi's backstories and the Royal Family/Coordinate power, lots of action against Military Police with anti human ODM gear.

The arc after that is retaking the wall, the basement and fighting Beast/Armoured/Collossal Titans at Shinganshima.

Then it's the current arc outside the wall, huge mindfuck but they already showed something with Ymir's flask back.
I would think the next season is going to be a mix of Christa/Levi, but get into the Basesment / Beast titan.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Attack on Titan is a good enough show, but I really don't want to wait all that much longer. Would one of you mind spoiling all of the "good" plot points that happened after this part from the anime in a DM? I want to know as much as possible. Even linking me a website with a spoiler would help. Thanks.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Attack on Titan is a good enough show, but I really don't want to wait all that much longer. Would one of you mind spoiling all of the "good" plot points that happened after this part from the anime in a DM? I want to know as much as possible. Even linking me a website with a spoiler would help. Thanks.
Just read the Manga? It's really good! Full spoilers below.

Military Police want Erin and try to suppress the scouts. Military Police have Levi's scumbag uncle Kenny in charge, they used to be criminals but Akermans have special powers somehow so they got recruited. Military Police have secret ODM gear with pistols instead of swords, so there's a battle to hide Erin and escape but the scouts kinda get owned.

In parallel we learn that Christa/Historia is the illegitimate child of a noble family. However that family are the real royal family (Reiss) and the public one (Fritz) is a fake. The scouts plot to reveal this and depose Reiss, Fritz and put Christa on the throne so they can approve the plan to retake the wall.

Erin and Christa are captured by Levi's uncle and Christa's father King Rod Reiss. Turns out that Erin's father stole the Royal Titan power from Christa's sister by eating her in his Attack Titan form (they were shifters too). Reiss has a syringe which turns someone into a titan and wants Christa to become one and eat Erin to get his powers. Royal Titan can mindwipe people and control titans but only if you are female and with royal blood - so Erin can't use the powers. In flashback we see that after the wall fell Erin's father injected him and had Erin eat him to get the titan powers - Erin can't remember.

Christa refuses to turn, Scouts show up and save them and defeat Kenny Akerman, so Reiss injects himself, turns into a mindless 100m titan and has to be killed before he accidentally demolishes the wall. Christa is crowed Queen and the public finally take the scouts side.

Scouts go to retake Shinganshima and all goes perfectly until they are ambushed by Beast, Collossal and Armoured Titans. Erwin sacrifices the entire scout corps to give Levi an opening to kill the Beast Titan. Hange's squad use rocket launchers (like old Chinese style ones) to try and give Mikasa an opening kill the Armoured Titan but are incinerated by the Collossal Titan. Armin is incinerated by the Collossal Titan to give Erin an opening to kill it.

The outcome is that Beast and Armoured are dismembered but escape on the Mule Titan which you think is just an aberrant normal titan with Beast Titans luggage on it, but is really another shifter. Beast Titan is revealed to be Zeke, Erin's half brother. Collossal Titan is captured.

Hange and Sasha are badly injured. Mikasa, Connie, Jean, Levi and Erin live. Everyone else is dead other than one random unnamed scout who brings Erwin's body. They have one syringe from the previous arc which can be used to save one person and they have Armin and Erwin on the edge of death, they end up going with Armin since Levi thinks that Erwin has suffered enough. Armin has to eat Berthold to get his powers and not be a mindless titan. Scouts now only has 9 members and Christa ruling as Queen, they go and visit the ocean as they are on an island.

Oh. The cellar contains books on world history and a photograph of Erin's father in Victorian clothing with a different wife and toddler Zeke. We get a flashback mini arc explaining everything, there's ALOT of info so ill leave it here for now.

Current arc follows Zeke and Reiner as Jews (Elodians) living in alternate reality 30s germany (Marley) with machine guns, zeppelins and armoured trains at war with Ottoman Empire (Middle Eastern Union). It's awesome, they drop titans out of aircraft in battle. Ymir is dead, someone ate her to get her powers, she was the Jaw Titan but a shitty version of it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
The last segment of the latest King's Avatar was absolutely perfect with where they put the intro song in.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Think it's time to rewatch full metal alchemist brotherhood or gungrave to tide me over. Don't say anything badass I wanna watch new so I'll hit the oldies.

• 1Like

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Think it's time to rewatch full metal alchemist brotherhood or gungrave to tide me over. Don't say anything badass I wanna watch new so I'll hit the oldies.
Black Lagoon is good also. I don't know what it is but I watch it like once a year.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Latest Danmachi Gaiden seriously makes me want S2 of the real deal. Fucking ay!

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the summary, I appreciate it.
No problem, I love the story so it's nice reliving it. It's actually been helpful watching the anime as it puts certain character's actions in a new light.

I left out the current arc which has a lot of answers so here it is:
In the past the leader of the Elodians, Queen Ymir, did a deal with the devil to get the titan power. She used this power to conquer, she passed on her powers to her 7 followers so there are only 8 intelligent titans (Royal, Attack, Female, Armoured, Collossal, Beast, Jaw, Mule), the rest are mindless. At some point a country called Marley defeated the Elodians by somehow turning some of the titan shifters against them, half stayed and half fled to Paradis Island. This is probably not wholly true and is likely Marley propaganda.

Marley enslaved the ones who stayed and it's reminisent of 30s ghettos complete with Elodians having special armbands. These Elodians are ashamed of their people being the only in the world who can turn into monsters so let themselves be oppressed. The Marley use these brainwashed Elodian children to take the titan powers and win their wars. The Elodians who fled built the walls and had their memories wiped by the Royal Titan - the only shifter they had left. The enslaved Elodians hate these island Elodians because they abandoned them and could turn the walls back into 1000s of titans and destroy the world.

Erin's dad is part of a rebel movement and marries a women related to the royal family, their child is Zeke who they raise to be a rebel leader. He turns them in to Marley, so they are taken to Paradis island and injected to turn them into mindless titans to use against the islanders - all those random titans outside the walls are just Elodian rebels and criminals etc. Zeke is saved by one of the titan shifters who is secretly a rebel, shifters only live for 7 years after injection and his time is up, so he gives his Attack Titan power to Erin's dad. Zeke's mother is not saved and is actually the titan who killed Erin's mother, this is why Erin can use the Royal Titan's powers when he touched her in the last anime episode - she has royal blood. Erin's dad infiltrates the walls and eventually steals the Royal Titan power.

6 shifters (Annie, Bertholt, Reiner, guy Ymir ate, Zeke and Zeke's mount) are sent to get the Attack Titan power back and potentially the Royal Titan power and take the island, mainly they want to take the island because of it's oil reserves though. This is the original story told in the anime.

There is then a timeskip to about a year before Zeke's 7 year term as Beast Titan is over. Zeke and Adult Reiner are looking for their successors and the story is told from their point of view. Ymir has already been killed and her power passed on to someone else who uses it much better. Marley has a shitty military because they have relied on titans, but technology has progressed to the point where anti armour shells can potentially kill the Armoured Titan. They just about defeat the Middle East Union in a war with 1930s technology but the future isn't looking good with their conventional military so far behind. They have sent lots of ships to the island over the timeskip years but none come back. Reiner is having doubts about limiting his cousin to 7 years of life and has PTSD from when Mikasa fucked him up in the Shinganshima battle, Zeke has PTSD from when Levi fucked him up in the same battle.

It isn't clear yet if we will continue following the antagonists, but the story is making it very sympathetic for them. I don't know if they are going to invade the island again but I'm hoping that is island invades Marley as even though the scouts were destroyed, they still have the Military Police and the anti human ODM gear.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I may have the numbers wrong, writing from memory. There's a picture of the titan shifters at the end of the anime end credits though. The wiki does say 9 not 8.

• 1Like