Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I feel that with every new sale, they are undermining an important pillar of this MMO, which is an interesting Economy, based on delving, looting and salvaging materials from the Universe. All the rest ties into this: exploration, transportation, manufacturing and the dangers that come with these, both PvE and PvP.

No matter how often they keep saying that "this item/ship/land-claim can also be earned in-game, current sales are just needed for the development', I feel that once the game release, 90% of the " from rags to riches" part is done for and the player population will already entirely consist of "haves". As opposed to the few "have-not newbies" that still haven't heard of this game and are lured in by some big advertising campaign at release.

Maybe not, maybe the lure of yet another, cooler ship will be enough still to get the Economy rolling but they should seriously stop saturating the Economy with all this high end stuff already.

Lol, you sound like you believe they're actually planning on releasing a game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I laughed out loud once I clicked the link and saw people are paying $50 for that. I mean, at least sell people nice looking land and not some desert shit hole..

Hey now. There could be a massive earthquake and the land suddenly becomes ocean front property. That shit would have value then.............

This game is slowly becoming the greatest con since Jesus died for our sins.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel that with every new sale, they are undermining an important pillar of this MMO, which is an interesting Economy, based on delving, looting and salvaging materials from the Universe. All the rest ties into this: exploration, transportation, manufacturing and the dangers that come with these, both PvE and PvP.

No matter how often they keep saying that "this item/ship/land-claim can also be earned in-game, current sales are just needed for the development', I feel that once the game release, 90% of the " from rags to riches" part is done for and the player population will already entirely consist of "haves". As opposed to the few "have-not newbies" that still haven't heard of this game and are lured in by some big advertising campaign at release.

Maybe not, maybe the lure of yet another, cooler ship will be enough still to get the Economy rolling but they should seriously stop saturating the Economy with all this high end stuff already.
Well, mark me down as a penniless-pilot who will show up on release and if the game is worth playing, go to riches.

I'm afraid that when I finally play the game I'll alt-f4 and uninstall after taking 30 minutes to talk to my cockpit and undock.

• 1Worf

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone at the company even addressed any of the negative perception that is gaining momentum around the web? Or are they too clouded in fan bois shielding to even notice? I mean do they have idea how boring their videos have looked so far even?

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone at the company even addressed any of the negative perception that is gaining momentum around the web? Or are they too clouded in fan bois shielding to even notice? I mean do they have idea how boring their videos have looked so far even?
I haven't seen a single bit of self-introspective awareness toward the idea that maybe a realistic space simulation isn't a game people will actually want to play.

It all seems like delusional people paying $5000+ for virtual ships in a game that they've deluded themselves into thinking is more than a game, so of course having to take virtual shits is emergent gameplay.

• 2Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

I, for one, look forward to the N-64 Superman portion but with realistic cranial blood clots and mandatory pee-breaks every 2 laps! Which button manually breathes?

• 1Worf

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I see someone going to jail over this in a few years. You heard it here first :-D

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Christ Roberts mentioned it during a citizencon in 2015, something along the lines of not wanting to give these people (Derek Smart mainly) any attention, since that would just feed them.

The whole thing is reminding me of late-stage EQ, even though most hardcore people knew the game had went down the shitter, they would rarely state so, because you don't shit on a product you've heavily invested in.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Anyone have an idea how much a person would have spent if they had bought one of everything available since KS launch?

Just curious if it exceeds 25k? more?

Molten Core Raider
According to the list of ships here which includes all the different variants you'd be shelling out $23,195. List looks fairly up to date so that total is probably accurate but it doesn't factor in all the extras that are also available for purchase. Items to decorate your hangar (posters, fishtanks, lamps, golf carts to ride around in) and ship components (weapons, shields, power plants, etc) are purchasable with United Earth Credits (UEC). Anything you purchase with UEC will carry over into the live game but the only way to get UEC is with micro transactions, it's not earnable in game yet.

• 2Barf

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
We need to get someone to hack their mailing & customer lists. If you sold it to multi-level marketing and mumbai-your-computer-is-infected-sweat shops for 15% of all money bilked and you would be Kim Dot Com rich in a couple weeks.

• 1Worf

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam

S.C.A.M. = Star Citizen And More.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Doesn't change the other counts, those all depend on what's in the GLA, i.e. if there is some escape clause or if CiG actually bought out the license from Crytek like Erin Roberts claimed back in 2014 (which they have sort of backed off saying recently).

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This project better fail and fail hard

If it succeeds it'll usher in a new era of shitty video game business practices

• 2Solidarity