Tenet (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This just really gets my goat when people say "UGH love" and treat it like people writing poems to each other, as if they are SO beyond "the cheese" and then don't hear any of the arguments the movie makes about it NOT being that. Well, sophisticates, don't think about rock songs and holding hands: while it's not a precise analogy, its much more like quantum entanglement where two particles even separated across vast distances are affected by state changes: Which such a connection, the "aliens", who aren't able to pinpoint specific moments in space-time, need 3D humans' assistance to find such a moment to make sure that the future unfolds in a certain way. We know they get this help because linear causality gets fucked at higher dimensions because 4D time isn't linear and now my head hurts. It's really an elegant physics construct that lots of people overlook because they can't get past the word "love" and its 201X and love is for children blah blah blah.

Yes, "love" is an emotional state that has a physical effect, and yes, they speculate its a connection to a higher dimension, and all kinds of things that scientists trying to make a convincing argument facing the end of humanity in a distant galaxy far from Earth might do. To sharpen the quantum entanglement analogy, love is like an entanglement with an internal shadow copy of a particle that keeps getting updated from reality, and that can get thrown off, and not get good updates, or get bad updates, or get no updates at all, and this is how relationships end or people carry torches for old flames for decades, etc. In this movie,however, it ties Cooper to that bedroom and gives him the ability to send the message, as well as explains the "ghost" she sees in there her whole life, and really touches on the connection between a father and a daughter.

Given all the thought that went into this movie, which was started out as a script that his brother wrote, and the effort that was spent engaging Kip Thorn, etc. and all of the amazing concepts Nolan has brought to the big screen, I think that Tenet is going to be amazing.
Alright, alright

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This just really gets my goat when people say "UGH love" and treat it like people writing poems to each other, as if they are SO beyond "the cheese" and then don't hear any of the arguments the movie makes about it NOT being that. Well, sophisticates, don't think about rock songs and holding hands: while it's not a precise analogy, its much more like quantum entanglement where two particles even separated across vast distances are affected by state changes: Without such an intimate connection, the "aliens", who aren't able to pinpoint specific moments in space-time, need 3D humans' assistance to find such a moment to make sure that the future unfolds in a certain way. We know they get this help because linear causality gets fucked at higher dimensions because 4D time isn't linear and now my head hurts. It's really an elegant physics construct that lots of people overlook because they can't get past the word "love" and its 201X and love is for children blah blah blah.

Yes, "love" is an emotional state that has a physical effect, and yes, Cooper and Brand speculate its a connection to a higher dimension, and all kinds of things that scientists trying to make a convincing argument facing the end of humanity in a distant galaxy far from Earth might do. To sharpen the quantum entanglement analogy, love is like an entanglement with an internal shadow copy of a particle that keeps getting updated from reality, and that can get thrown off, and not get good updates, or get bad updates, or get no updates at all, and this is how relationships end or people carry torches for old flames for decades, etc. In this movie, however, it ties Cooper to that bedroom and gives him the ability to send the message, as well as explains the "ghost" she sees in there her whole life, and really touches on the connection between a father and a daughter.

Given all the thought that went into this movie, which was started out as a script that his brother wrote, and the effort that was spent engaging Kip Thorn, etc. and all of the amazing concepts Nolan has brought to the big screen, I think that Tenet is going to be amazing.

Yeah the original script just worked a lot better for me than the love factor.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Man, I remember watching Interstellar on the best screen here in town, it was crazy. That scene when it shows Jupiter and the little space ship just flies by the bottom part of it and reflects a little sunlight. And the whole "no time for caution" scene. Just truly amazing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
It's weird, Jonathan Nolan is apparently the Satan-du-jour for his writing on Westworld, but virtually every problem with Interstellar the movie was due to Christopher Nolan deviating from Interstellar the script.

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's weird, Jonathan Nolan is apparently the Satan-du-jour for his writing on Westworld, but virtually every problem with Interstellar the movie was due to Christopher Nolan deviating from Interstellar the script.
Just to be clear, when people talk about Jonathan Nolan's script for Interstellar and what was made into the movie for Interstellar, those are two entirely different things. Jonathan wrote the script for Steven Spielberg but it was an almost entirely different plot, with many completely different characters but a lot of similar themes. Here is an article that details the differences:
Interstellar: 15 Huge Differences From the Steven Spielberg-Developed Script to Christopher Nolan’s Movie
here is a link to the original script:
Jonathan Nolan's Original Script for Interstellar

Christopher, when he decided to make Interstellar as one of his projects, worked together with his brother and they reworked that original script into the version you see in the movie. Christopher didn't deviate from the script; they rewrote it into what you see on the screen, which to my mind is a superior movie to one about Chinese robots and multiple blackholes and fractal lifeforms.

When I watched the movie at first, I was expecting to see a version of Jonathan's script; I think Christopher's is actually a far more powerful and subtle statement about the human condition. Jonathan's could be molded in a SCI-FI EPIC but since this is only ever going to be a one-shot, I think Christopher Nolan's is much better cinegraphically and Jonathan's works really well (could only work in its current form?) on the page, and would make a great novel.

Sorry for the derail, back to the Tenet (the same forward and backward, amirite?) show.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
From that link:

But what the original screenplay loses in the emotional connection between father and daughter, it explores much more fully in the relationship that develops between Cooper and Brand. Their bond grows over the adventure and by the end you actually care that they be together. After the escape from the ice planet and all hope seems to be lost, Brand and Cooper actually have sex in zero gravity — a scene where they pull off each others clothes and have sex while floating/spinning inside the ship cabin.

I think that father/daughter relationship is my favorite part of the movie.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm definitely going to watch it, but I feel like I'm not going to be satisfied with whatever explanation is given for how time would flow backwards for certain areas/things and not others.

My 1st thought was the butterfly effect. It will be within their vision or "sphere of influence"?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ungh. All I got to say is that I hope Nolan can succeed in making this something more awesome than an incoherent pretentious mess with stellar cinematography.

Since he did well with Memento and stuff I have some hope.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm definitely going to watch it, but I feel like I'm not going to be satisfied with whatever explanation is given for how time would flow backwards for certain areas/things and not others.
Yeah, I'm sure there will definitely be some facepalm dumb shit when it comes to that. But the movie will look amazing and likely be very engaging so will for sure be worth a watch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My only problem with Interstellar was Anne Hathaway's delivery and the timing of the love vomit dialog. Very over acted but sloppy at the same time, not sure why that was the take they ended up using. Same with alright, alright, alright's pronunciation of "luuuve". Those lines just weren't worded properly, either. Whoever said it previously in this thread got it just about right. To the effect of "love is the driving force that entangles us, past, present, and future" - instead they went with "transcends time" when they had used "tiiiime" enough already. I also, probably, would have accepted it more if the black dude delivered it. Then again, it might have broken his character's credibility even if he was the most scientifically accurate/real of the bunch.

I had no issue with Mann, though his violence was a bit on the edge. Him spending no time with his daughter at the end was fine for me, too. Movie was long enough already. He was a "great grandfather" at that point and all but forgotten by what other family he'd left behind. The old woman wasn't his daughter to me. That was the sacrifice he made to save the fuckin world.

Seeing it before and after having a daughter is two completely different experiences. The Muuuurph scene the first time is just kinda, "Eh." After my kid was born though, it really fucked me up in a way I wasn't at all expecting.

That said, this movie looks cool, but the concept is probably going to boil down to something pretty simple like all of his movies. He goes forward in time until points that need to be reversed in order to fix or prevent whatever. And I bet somewhere along the lines the entanglement starts with him being dead more than once. What they do with it and where they go probably won't even be the point, more the visuals, audio, and conceptual. Make the hamster in your brain run on the wheel for a bit while your senses are overwhelmed.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Seeing it before and after having a daughter is two completely different experiences. The Muuuurph scene the first time is just kinda, "Eh." After my kid was born though, it really fucked me up in a way I wasn't at all expecting.

For sure. I wonder if there are those of us who get the “love” part who have children and those who don’t? No disrespect to any group watching the movie. I love my daughter more than anything I could ever have believed and any movie with a daddy/daughter issue gets me, but this movie destroyed me. The scene where she’s grown up and he sees her grown up the first tine broke me down, and when she asks if her dad left her there to die just destroyed me, knowing that any good father would literally blow up the planet to save their daughter.

On a side note, I hear about fathers who are their kids like once every two weeks, or like once a month. Blows my mind. Fucking pricks.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i cant take Pattinson seriously.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I absolutely love spy movies. I just don't know why you gotta muddle it up with weird time travel shit. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a very underrated one.

• 3Like