Terraria

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I guess brain drop was buffed. its obviously way better then worm scarf now.
1/6 chance to dodge a hit, is clearly better then 17% damage reduc on master. so many 1 hit kill options, dodging them is far stronger.
then on top of that, on a dodge +20% crit chance.. which should have a pretty solid uptime with the random trash that hits you.
It's good yeah but on the flipside, evasion can still fuck you in the ass if it doesn't proc/procs on shit you don't care about, while worm is a guaranteed nice mitigation. Considering they're super early bosses though you can just make a different world and collect whichever you like, or both which might be very well worth it since defense is pretty big on master mode.

As for whips the big thing is the damage they boost summon by, as weapons themselves they're fairly shit, and they're clunky, they don't autoswing without the titan gloves(or whichever glove it is that autoswing), their range is pretty bad and slowing attack speed for more range is only viable for summoning damage since you do less DPS for reach, and generally speaking they just don't hit very hard. They add flat damage to summons though, so once you start getting your summon limit up, you get massive damage increases.

Finch staff is more common than slime because you can just roll another world and explore to find living trees. You kinda want to regardless because you want a garden gnome to buff luck anyway(although you can find a gnome in any living tree while the finch staff still need to be rolled). Finch is pretty much garbage anyway, it's just there because, pure summoner challenge shit fucking sucks until you kill queen bee regardless. Unless you luck out heavily on blood moon, but killing the mobs you fish with a finch staff will basically take the entire blood moon(I was kill ~3-4 of them per moon with standard weapons)

Caliane

but that you may need to roll worlds to even get started with summoner is kindof bs.
blood moon frog. didnt get that one, not sure how strong it is. but yeah, the enemies for it, are pretty tough. can be cheesed a bit. make a room out of jump range to fish from, put lava down. easy kill on the ground one. demon eye one is tougher. can be cheesed with whip and summons through walls though. or take the chance fighting it with more direct weapons. depending on how pure you want your summon run.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Hoooooboy Moon Lord is on another level. I'm basically "done" in our expert world aside from him, but actually beating him is looking grim outside building some kind of weird box/platform to stand in and just throwing 10,000 grenades out of it or something for an hour.

Difficulty curve in hardmode is really wonky. The first mechanical boss is probably the hardest thing you have to do, and everything is just easier and easier from then on out. Plantera takes a bit of prep work to make a suitable place to fight in, but the fight itself is really not a big deal provided you've made at least titanium armor. Golem was an absolute joke and the beetle armor from him is pretty hilariously OP, but still kind of not enough to fight Moon Lord "fairly".

Vampire Knives are the best weapon in the game and it's not particularly close (I'm sure some post moon lord weapons far outclass them in damage, but they are still unique). I'm not sure why anyone would chose corruption over crimson given how insane they and irreplaceable they are.

Caliane

they did change some stuff yeah. iirc moon lord the box strat was nerfed hard. so, I understand the ufo, or super long bridge is best now.
not being able to farm fishing crates to bypass early hardmode armors.
I heard stormbow was nerfed too. which totally wrecked most of the bosses with holy arrows.

plantera should be fairly easy still with the proper square arena. easily made with bombs.

I think on my expert run, I swapped from ranged, to melee armor for the armor, and using solar eruption to kill moonlord. and had actually used the box, nurse/dryad strat. so, im not sure how master is going to go.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea his big kamehameha beam penetrates terrain now so the boxes are not really an option, either is going for mega defense/regen and trying to facetank really.

Only real way to do I think is an map-length skybridge or minecraft track unfortunately. You could maybe still try and make a safety box and use the teleport grapple to dodge the big beam attack, but seems pretty high risk.

Caliane

It's good yeah but on the flipside, evasion can still fuck you in the ass if it doesn't proc/procs on shit you don't care about, while worm is a guaranteed nice mitigation. Considering they're super early bosses though you can just make a different world and collect whichever you like, or both which might be very well worth it since defense is pretty big on master mode.

As for whips the big thing is the damage they boost summon by, as weapons themselves they're fairly shit, and they're clunky, they don't autoswing without the titan gloves(or whichever glove it is that autoswing), their range is pretty bad and slowing attack speed for more range is only viable for summoning damage since you do less DPS for reach, and generally speaking they just don't hit very hard. They add flat damage to summons though, so once you start getting your summon limit up, you get massive damage increases.

Finch staff is more common than slime because you can just roll another world and explore to find living trees. You kinda want to regardless because you want a garden gnome to buff luck anyway(although you can find a gnome in any living tree while the finch staff still need to be rolled). Finch is pretty much garbage anyway, it's just there because, pure summoner challenge shit fucking sucks until you kill queen bee regardless. Unless you luck out heavily on blood moon, but killing the mobs you fish with a finch staff will basically take the entire blood moon(I was kill ~3-4 of them per moon with standard weapons)
did you actually get the vampire frog? I was just checking a vid on someone doing summoner.

frog looks like shit. it doesnt do contact damage, so has to run/fly up, land. stop, then attack. to attack. it was spending all its time moving around doing no damage. the guy playing, swapped it out for finch vs EoW and was a million times better. the finch would fly through and hit all the segments in a line. same with old mans army.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
did you actually get the vampire frog? I was just checking a vid on someone doing summoner.

frog looks like shit. it doesnt do contact damage, so has to run/fly up, land. stop, then attack. to attack. it was spending all its time moving around doing no damage. the guy playing, swapped it out for finch vs EoW and was a million times better. the finch would fly through and hit all the segments in a line. same with old mans army.
Yeah I did it's shit, it's better than finch on some things I think, but it's worse than any other option and finch might be better on a bunch of stuff too I only checked it out for a minute since I already had killed Queen Bee at that point. It's also absurdly annoying to farm with a pure summoner, but unless you're doing a challenge run or whatever you can just play with a good yoyo or gun until you get good summoner weapons anyway. Hornet is when it starts getting good and Imps are an upgrade over that but even still they can be annoying as fuck(closed spaces like some parts of dungeon or underground, they'll just fly in the ceiling and not shoot anything cause they don't have line of sight, or they'll stay behind you but your back is against a wall so they don't shoot, feels like shit when it's like that).

Early hardmode looks kinda scuffed too, spiders are nice for some things, but not for twins which is the boss I'd want first to get the twins summon which is actually good. The new sword stuff might be good though I'll see when I get there, spent the evening just finishing the dungeon(found a 2nd summon table so that's nice), exploring the stupidly large desert underground biome to find the good stuff(tracked like a dozen of chests and got the mining speed accessory and the ocean teleport and that's all I wanted), and then built a new bigger house instead of the shithole I was living in, which took a while. Just need to go clear Plantera's arena and bomb all around the jungle for added corruption resistance and then I'll do the wall.

Caliane

the old mans army stuff is apparently "summoning". I have no idea how any of that stuff is.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
the old mans army stuff is apparently "summoning". I have no idea how any of that stuff is.
It's Sentries, a different category of summoning. There's some other pieces too like the Queen Spider staff and the Frost Hydra staff, but not a single pre hard mode piece other than the defender stuff. They have a different summon limit count that only the defender armor stuff increases too. That makes them kinda competing with traditional summons and sentries have to be replaced constantly so it's a bit weird.

They can be really nice on boss fights where you don't move around too much though, add a lot of damage and you get one for basically free. You can also go heavy on them, the ballista set is actually really nice cause it has high armor and life regen baked in, on top of the sentry bonuses and ballista is a solid "summon", you just need to constantly replace them and they don't do that well in closed spaces

I need to dig an arena for that shit too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've got up to Queen Bee and died so far. Now I am getting my ass kicked in the dungeon. I got killed by the illusionist as he spawned in just a really awful spot for me. Not sure how to damage him really as I had him at low health but I was just hitting his ice shards? Having a great time though!

I lucked out and got a starfury sword in the ice biome somewhere. That weapon carried me hard.

I've got to say that with all of these mods. Terraria has a lot of the MMO features I'd always wanted. Abilities are given to you by the items you equip and such.

Got an alchemy table and going to start getting into potions and farming next.

Caliane

the dark caster? or some mod npc? illustionist isnt a thing?
if dark caster yeah, they port around. can fire through walls, at a point, when almost none of your stuff can.
you can destroy their water bolts with attacks. pick, sword, whatever.

Tight spaces in the dungeon can be rough. The magic missile, which you can get in the dungeon, will curve around paths. bee gun will auto home in as well. both very good dungeon weapons. yoyo. other weapons that do pierce walls are very good.

if you are running a weak build, and not just using best weapon at the time.. go down to hell first. get your hellstone forge/hellstone. makea molten pick. that will let you mine dungeon brick, and make dungeon a hell of alot easier. as you can then make shortcuts as needed, or outright dig OUT of the dungeon for rest stations. (highly advisable, to prep for hardmode dungeon.)

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of QoL mods? I love this game, but would definitely like to make it less time consuming. I'm pretty sick of alt+tab continuously to look at the wiki.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of QoL mods? I love this game, but would definitely like to make it less time consuming. I'm pretty sick of alt+tab continuously to look at the wiki.

Same! Haven't tried the big new update yet. I've got 104 hours or so in Terraria from ages ago and I never even knew the game had mods, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Could never get into this until recently. Half my playtime right now is spent redoing or adding on to my house to make it look better or be more efficient but I am quickly running out of ideas and things to build for it. I've done a basic garden area, a glowing mushroom farm and a jungle stuff farm. Already made a hellevator for vertical travel and been contemplating building a continuous mine track that spans the whole east to west, is there anything else useful I could build?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
An arena. Or multiple arenas, really. You could probably use a decently long skybridge as your first arena.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That Old Man's Army shit was harder than expected. Mostly the stupid flyers and also the boss hitting me with stuff I couldn't even tell was damaging me. After a couple of tries though I figured out a better strat and it went really easy, but I guess master mods don't help with this shit, flyers kill the crystal in like 10hits. Now have a stupid ballista "summon". Does pretty big chunks of damage though so not gonna complain.

My pre hardmode preparations are close to done, gonna craft a bunch of potions in advance so I don't have to do it later, make an ocean house and farm spot to get pirate maps(the master mode only mount looks OP as fuck and you can get it right at the start of hard mode after getting a decent weapon) and then on to hard mode it is.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
the dark caster? or some mod npc? illustionist isnt a thing?
if dark caster yeah, they port around. can fire through walls, at a point, when almost none of your stuff can.
you can destroy their water bolts with attacks. pick, sword, whatever.

Tight spaces in the dungeon can be rough. The magic missile, which you can get in the dungeon, will curve around paths. bee gun will auto home in as well. both very good dungeon weapons. yoyo. other weapons that do pierce walls are very good.

if you are running a weak build, and not just using best weapon at the time.. go down to hell first. get your hellstone forge/hellstone. makea molten pick. that will let you mine dungeon brick, and make dungeon a hell of alot easier. as you can then make shortcuts as needed, or outright dig OUT of the dungeon for rest stations. (highly advisable, to prep for hardmode dungeon.)

Illusionist is a Thorium Mod mini-boss. I got a Carnage Sword with exploding homing blood from monsters that wrecks stuff for now. I need better ranged options.

I got my dedicated server set up in an AWS EC2 Linux box. Steam Command Line sure made that fucking easy. Will be going through a small world on normal or expert all the way through to the end in a week or so with them. Should be fun.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Am I correct in assuming if I use this TModLoader from the steam store, it is not Terraria 1.4?

P.S. There any "best" texture pack?

Rime

<Donor>
TMod and almost all of the mods for Terraria are still using the 1.3.x infrastructure. It will be several weeks to a few months before they are updated.

'Essential' mods for me would be Magic Storage and Recipe Browser.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Calamity Mod (this is pretty much a massive expansion for the game, with bosses that used to be the hardest in the game), Sushi's Mod ('Loot' tokens drop, you can craft a specific number of them to make loot, instead of farming enemies endlessly for a .5% drop), and Fargo's Mutant mod (adds an NPC that sells boss summoning items after you have defeated the boss in question).

There are also an arseload of mods that do specific things... many to make the Summoner class more fleshed out/better, some that add their own classes (Bard, Alchemist, Rogue, etc), all sorts. I never really messed with texture packs, though.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Do the Magic Storage and Recipe Browser mods work with 1.4? If so, guess I just gotta figure out how to install without using the TMod loader.