Terraria

Caliane

That's what I did. You really need a decent sized arena for Queen Bee on master (can just be a single platform about a screen wide, with space above and below).

Once I got to Plantera I just made it about 4 times the size. You really need a massive one for Plantera master mode because phase 2 has a TON of those little claw dealies. I don't remember how many expert had, but master it's really a fight against those and not Plantera itself. Once you kill them all it's a cake fight.

It used to be you could awaken Queen Bee and port back to your base to fight. But now she enrages outside the jungle.
its my understanding master doesnt add any new mechanics or anything, just raw hp, and possibly damage buff.

yeah, actually died to bee twice... first time was accidentally summoning her with starfury. and I tried teleporting out. enraged, and no potions or anything, although arena, she still just wrecked me.

second try was in her lair, jungle armor, diamond staff. (jester arrow/demonbow, starfury/blade of grass as well.) 50%ish iirc. pretty far from a kill from how on the ropes I was.

I suppose pyros is right all 3 are pretty much the same. none of the gear they drop is pure upgrades, so is largely prep I suppose. same jungle armor for bee, skel, eater/brain, as noted.
same diamond staff. A few specific things. crimson rain is pretty godly. worm scarf. dungeon has some ok magic.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that's my disappointment with master mode. More hp isn't adding challenge, just tedium.

Game devs who rely on bullet sponges are lazy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Moonlord on Master Mode disables your regen station (campfire/heart lantern/honey pool), so it does add quite a bit of challenge to the fight, especially if you're doing it with pre-moonlord stuff.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Last patch seems it can corrupt worlds, make backups(in general make backups every now and then when playing long games, at least I do).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played since 2012. There wasn't even rope when I last played and I am only remember the eyeball boss.

God damn this learning curve is rough but fun. Playing solo right now but setting up my AWS server tomorrow.

I loaded thorium and calamity and the major qol mods. Going to be a ride.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I haven't played since 2012. There wasn't even rope when I last played and I am only remember the eyeball boss.

God damn this learning curve is rough but fun. Playing solo right now but setting up my AWS server tomorrow.

I loaded thorium and calamity and the major qol mods. Going to be a ride.
If you have thorium and calamity then you need magic storage mod otherwise you will kill yourself from inventory management. And there is also a thorium+calamity compatibility mod.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I never used magic storage and did okay. I'd say you definitely need recipe browser though. Otherwise you'll either be trying to wiki everything and missing half the items, or just drowning in what to do.

• 1Like

Caliane

made an arena. died. killed queen bee. died. swapped to bee gun from diamond staff, and..
then realized I could shield charge into her charge, and negate any damage, easier then dodging it entirely.
got a couple kills after that. default bee gun not great, hive pack was needed. her armor does buff up like crazy as she drops below 200. even when using the diamond staff, one of those first deaths was sub 60 life, and just couldn't finish her off.

and slime staff drop right after, as I went to set up for skeltron again.

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
What is the status on the mods? I remember there being one that would let you turn your Normal world into expert with an item. Was wondering if there was a Master.

Rime

<Donor>
Answered my own question.

No, Calamity and all of the other mods have not been updated for 1.4 and they probably will not be for several more months.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So what do I need to do to make crafting easy? I have magic inventory and recipe browser. But I find myself rummaging through shit constantly... How do I do it?

Caliane

you can rename chests. I just place a bunch of chests, and place item in them, by type.
potion mats in one, potions in another(or possilby in the piggybank for easy remote access)
weapons in one, ore in one, gems in one, etc.

all crafting stations basically right on top of each other, and those key chests of "materials", on shelves above them, or below.
terraria.jpg

fairy early example. will probably get reorganized at some point.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
So what do I need to do to make crafting easy? I have magic inventory and recipe browser. But I find myself rummaging through shit constantly... How do I do it?
Magic inventory has a Crafting Table block

Rime

<Donor>
As much as I wanted to go into Master mode, I am going to wait until magic inventory and recipe list are fully updated. Playing with the vanilla crafting/chest system is... painful.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I haven't found it to be much of an issue but I check what I want to craft on the wiki and the rest I kinda don't care about. I drop all my potion mats in one chest, all my metal and normal mats in another and it's been enough, once in a while I have to grab some shit from another chest but since I know what I'm crafting to begin with it's not a big issue. Not sure what you're trying to do, just checking all you can craft and see if there's anything good?

As for my progress, slowly creeping up to the start of hardmode. Killed every boss besides Wall of Flesh, cleaned up the corruption on my ice biome, will probably bomb the shit out of the jungle surrounding to isolate it at some point today, farmed the one underworld item I needed(imp staff, big improvement over hornet staff for summoning) as well as the usual pickaxe/hamaxe, farmed a bunch of the dungeon but not yet cleared it. Think I'll clear the dungeon, get a 2nd summoning table hopefully in there(otherwise I'll have to go grab one in another world), explore the underground desert shit I've been putting off, reorganize my town so it's not some mud hut with annex rooms slapped on it as I ran out of space and shit, make a dungeon defender event arena so I can get the sentries weapons out of these and make a glowing mushroom farm/truffle house and then I'll be done. Garden is looking good now besides deathweed and I got most of the items I wanted from prehardmode.

Caliane

where Im at too. got the engi from dungeon. need cobalt shield. went to hell, got hellstone/forge, started bridge. I need to prep the world for hardmode now, quarantine ice, desert, corruption.

my ice biome is pretty fucked. it spawned with corruption overwriting half of it, and its perfectly lined up for the V to take out the rest.

Have to decide what im going to try wall with. probably jungleset/bee gun, with hivepack/nades... necro/molten fury is an option. as well as molten set for raw defense, and just any ranged weapon. thinking jungle, and swapping to molten set for hardmode start.

Might spam fishing quests to clear inventory space with pda>cellphone. gps, rek, goblin tech, mirror is 4spaces atm... get the fish finder, and >pda>cellphone it down to 1.

do need all those tables too.. ammo box, bewitching..

Caliane

I guess brain drop was buffed. its obviously way better then worm scarf now.
1/6 chance to dodge a hit, is clearly better then 17% damage reduc on master. so many 1 hit kill options, dodging them is far stronger.
then on top of that, on a dodge +20% crit chance.. which should have a pretty solid uptime with the random trash that hits you.

Caliane

also, I tried whips and was not very impressed. But looking at the wiki, and noting some reddit posts, I think I was underestimating them.

Whip range, is inverse with its attack speed. slower attacks=longer range. to the point, reforging will actually make whips longer or shorter.

Whips can have the same modifiers as swords, including Legendary. However, speed bonuses gained from modifiers shorten the range of whips. Therefore, a slower speed increases the range, meaning that the best modifier for range is Sluggish [1] and the best modifier for damage is Ruthless. A Bulky whip will have slightly less range than a Sluggish one (about 1 block width), but will deal 5% more damage. Because range has a more significant effect on a whip's performance than damage or attack speed, a speed-decreasing modifier is usually preferred. (A Legendary modifier still boasts the highest attack speed, but harshly penalizes range, and many whips are able to boost their own attack speed anyways.)

Whips one of the only pre-hardmode wall piercing weapons.
And, whips enable secondary effects on hit. They buff the damage summons do to the target directly. and often secondary effects.

A little baffling is adding the finch staff. ok great, another early game summoning item... it spawns in living trees.. so, you may not actually have one in your world.. and ends up being just as rare as the slime staff then..