The Animal Activism Crazy Thread

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
How come they charge so fucking much for shark any time I look at the seafood menu here in California then? That's one of the few fish I don't really mind eating.

I agree, that's one of the few bleeding-heart animal lover things I support. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen (as is killing the rhino for its horn, just sharks are more plentiful so far). If nothing else, they should require them to bring all that shark meat back and give it away for free. I'm sure there are plenty of poor people that would eat it if you grilled that shit up right there off the boat. Hell, I know I would.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I assume that picture is what happens when you put the prong collar on your dog and then swing him around by the leash like you're doing a hammer throw?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah it's basically impossible for a dog to do that to himself unless he goes absolutely nuts while you have the collar on him. Pinch collars are quite safe unless you fuckin hammer throw your dog while he's wearing it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that's just willful fucking animal abuse. If you have to actually do that to a dog to train him, you are not only bad at it you are criminally bad at it.

I don't like those collars, but for big willful dogs I can see how they'd be a safe, viable tool.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
there's nothing wrong with prong collars, they're just miss-used 99% of the time, you don't pull on the leash/collar ever, you're not even supposed to direct the dog with the leash, the only reason a leash is attached to a dog is b/c it's usually the law in all states and to give a quick correction or "snap".

the problem is usually, when untrained owners (yes owners not dogs) think that their strong (insert breed that would scare you off the lawn) dog can be controlled with a prong collar by pulling back (which doesn't work and defeats the purpose of the prong collar entirely) on the leash... usually when the dog is already in mid attack or on it's hind legs.

and with the sharks, like i said b4, they're not gonna bring the sharks back to shore b/c it would use up fuel/time and they probably even have to pay processing fees or whatever

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have an English Bulldog and when he decides he doesn't want to move, good luck getting him to do so by employing any type of collar/leash. He'd rather choke to death than give in and let you move him. Halfway through his walk if he decides he doesn't want to move, he'll sit his ass down and either expect you to carry him or wait for a treat bribe. Tug on his choke chain or yank the leash and he digs the fuck in like it was a WW I trench.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use one of those prong collars so I was a little upset and got sucked into the debate on facebook. I was called barbaric, an idiot, I had low IQ, I should be shot (thanks FB), or worse I should wear one all day. I pointed out that this will never happen unless A) You tie a dog to a tree with this one, or B) Your dog tries to attack someone and is not taking no for an answer.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a prong collar for training, which is what we do. We have a Corgi/JR Terrier so it is a ball of energy, and it's extremely friendly. We had to take it to obedience school, which is where this collar was recommended. The gist of it is if the dog does something undesirable you do a quick snap and repeat as necessary until the command is completed - then you treat the dog. Our dog isn't the most behaved dog in the world, but the collar has worked wonders.

It also gets excited when we take it out because it knows it's walk and treat time. My dogs neck doesn't look like that.

People are idiots.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's the same thing as spanking and kids. Used in moderation, correctly, it works. But you have assholes beating their kids into a bloody pulp and now spanking is evil /shrug People are dumb, don't sweat it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's not even the same thing really, a lot of laziness and neglect and ignorance has to go into creating that kind of wound. what most people do not realize is that prong collars are not sharp or pointed, they're actually rounded, which is better than flattened (b/c flattened could dig into skin easily). i'm pretty sure the only way to do that type of damage to yourself is to wrap one around your leg and hang from it for hours before the prongs break skin.

the only way for this to happen to a dog is if it was chained to a tree (like noodle said) with a prong collar and constantly ran out and chocked itself a few hundred times, finally breaking skin. (or on it's hind legs or whatever)

hell most ppl walk their dogs with a leash attached to the collar, a collar isn't for walking, it's for identification, you need either use a leed(lead) (the slipnot) or attached the leash to a prong collar.

and then of course most ppl aren't even trained to walk a dog, you can tell right away when the dog is in front of the owner, and then the owner just instinctively pulls on the leash, like they do with a horse to "reign him in".

if they leave the prong collar on the dog 24/7 and do the horse pulling, then yea that could also lead to that picture.

it's really bad owners, from both sides, ppl who do this to their dog are horrible and the idiots who are against pronged collars are obviously idiots and don't know the first thing about training/walking their dogs properly. it's like the first thing you're introduced to in obedience school (which is really to train owners and not the dog, dogs are easily trained, owners are not), they obviously haven't had any decent schooling/training about their dogs and probably carry around their 5lb shitty dogs like a human ornament.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You are really limited in the ways that you can effectively communicate with an animal and if you take the possibility of causing them mild pain or discomfort off the table then it gets even more difficult to get them to do things. A dog is extremely intelligent and you have a lot more options with them then you would with, say, a cow. Let's face it, cows are dumb. About the only tools you have to work with are their natural fear of humans, their herd instinct, and if that's not working, mild pain such as an electric prod. PETA will tell you how cruel an electric prod is, but I have been shocked with them many times and I wouldn't describe it as painful. It makes you jump, but it's more startling than painful. I do think people overuse them, not because of the pain but because it upsets the cattle and makes them harder to handle, but properly applied they can definitely be the most effective and human method of getting a cow who has decided not to go with the program to change her mind. It should never be the first option, but it does have it's place in many situations IMO.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
it's not even the same thing really, a lot of laziness and neglect and ignorance has to go into creating that kind of wound. what most people do not realize is that prong collars are not sharp or pointed, they're actually rounded, which is better than flattened (b/c flattened could dig into skin easily). i'm pretty sure the only way to do that type of damage to yourself is to wrap one around your leg and hang from it for hours before the prongs break skin.

the only way for this to happen to a dog is if it was chained to a tree (like noodle said) with a prong collar and constantly ran out and chocked itself a few hundred times, finally breaking skin. (or on it's hind legs or whatever)

hell most ppl walk their dogs with a leash attached to the collar, a collar isn't for walking, it's for identification, you need either use a leed(lead) (the slipnot) or attached the leash to a prong collar.

and then of course most ppl aren't even trained to walk a dog, you can tell right away when the dog is in front of the owner, and then the owner just instinctively pulls on the leash, like they do with a horse to "reign him in".

if they leave the prong collar on the dog 24/7 and do the horse pulling, then yea that could also lead to that picture.

it's really bad owners, from both sides, ppl who do this to their dog are horrible and the idiots who are against pronged collars are obviously idiots and don't know the first thing about training/walking their dogs properly. it's like the first thing you're introduced to in obedience school (which is really to train owners and not the dog, dogs are easily trained, owners are not), they obviously haven't had any decent schooling/training about their dogs and probably carry around their 5lb shitty dogs like a human ornament.
Glad someone agrees.

Like I said.. it's a tool, that when used properly, creates amazing results. We almost always use the prong collar when walking out dog and she's really good about it. She stays right by our side and if she loses attention or wanders too far forward we give a little snap and she comes back. When we first started training her it was definitely a bit more force behind the snap, but now even a light snap and she knows. Sometimes we'll take her for a walk without it and she's one of the most behaved dogs on the street.

People are such bleeding heart faggots about animals. I'm not treating my dog cruelly, she needs boundaries and I think she enjoys that.

If anything I'm a big pussy about my dog. It's spoiled with treats, more toys than most babies, multiple beds throughout the house, a fenced in yard, and she even uses the guest bedrooms tempur-pedic bed as her night time bed. She lives the goddamn life of a queen.

Really struck a nerve with people calling me all sorts of names and telling me I should die on facebook. I bet those are animal hoarders anyways.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
quit putting plague chains on your dogs you pussy, if I see you put one of those death machines on another dog I'm going to wrap a chihuahua sized on your dick and yank until you love me

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
+1 for plague chains

Edit: Gotta spread it around more
frown.png

if you need prong collars it's because you haven't dominated your dog, and you're too lazy to do it.

thats animal abuse plain and simple.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah, that's just willful fucking animal abuse. If you have to actually do that to a dog to train him, you are not only bad at it you are criminally bad at it.

I don't like those collars, but for big willful dogs I can see how they'd be a safe, viable tool.
I use that collar on my dog (65-70 lb black lab who hunts) from time to time. I used to hate them but I put it on ONE time and saw how safe they were. If you have tried everything to prevent your dog from pulling they are an angelic miracle from heaven. Seriously one little pull, the dog feels the prongs and they nope the fuck out of ever pulling again. He never exhibits any pain/whining/discomfort if I put it on him. Granted I rarely put it on him anymore now because, *gasp*, he's learned not to pull because of it, but still.

I lol at idiots who think they're cruel/harmful. Ditto for shock collars. I baby the shit out of my dog and I'm the most over protective owner ever and believe they're fine. If a dog every gets hurt by one of them, just like 99.99% of dog issues, it was the owners fault. In this case for yanking the hell out of it or fucking hanging the dog by it. Those things are not meant to be pulled on by the human. You're supposed to put it on the dog and let the thing do it's job with little to no effort on your end. Just hang on and the dog will figure it out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In the dog world if two dogs are dogging and one decides to act the fool, the other will give it a quick non skin breaking bite, which basically means "that was stupid dont do that a gain" this is known as a correction. A quick snap of a leed or leash will do the same. Sometimes you rescue a dog who is immune to the quick snap cuz of sucky owner, or super hyper dog or really thick neck. This is where you can use a prong collar, it acts as a row of teeth snapping the dog out of a bad habbit. Again you have to snap the leed, leash, or prong collar, you cant tug pull on it, you have to give the dog a quick "WTF!"

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The dachshund my wife and I adopted while living in Houston was found on a feeder road with one of those choke chains wrapped around his neck twice. It was so tight they had to cut it off of him. Now if you need a choke chain for a dog who weighs less than 15 pounds and whose legs are less than 3 inches long then you should probably have your ass kicked.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The dachshund my wife and I adopted while living in Houston was found on a feeder road with one of those choke chains wrapped around his neck twice. It was so tight they had to cut it off of him. Now if you need a choke chain for a dog who weighs less than 15 pounds and whose legs are less than 3 inches long then you should probably have your ass kicked.
And you missed the post describing how and why these collars work along with the posts describing when they should be used. My dogs only 30 pounds and half corgi so it has tiny legs too.

I love how the news is going batshit insane over this cheerleader hunting game in Africa, makes me happy in the pants.