The Astronomy Thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Its the attitude shown by Chael in those posts which I find almost nauseating, its like the most important aspect about Katie is that she is a female in a STEM field. Its lame.
Thats what the SJWs dont get. The people shitting on this story are doing it not because this Katie person is a woman but because she is being praised due to being a woman and not her actual merit.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Which is valid, but most of that criticism is being leveled at Katie (largely in form of personal attacks) and not the media, which doesn’t help the side being critical of typical media idiocy in terms of reporting science.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So when are you totally not sexist at all autists going to start crying about Elon Musk because he doesn't write very much production code lately?

• 1Salty
  • 1Ice Burn
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So when are you totally not sexist at all autists going to start crying about Elon Musk because he doesn't write very much production code lately?
Your avatar is exactly how i picture you when i read your posts.

Which is valid, but most of that criticism is being leveled at Katie (largely in form of personal attacks) and not the media, which doesn’t help the side being critical of typical media idiocy in terms of reporting science.
And it will happen this way every time the media is allowed to get away with it by people they use to drive a narrative. If Katie immediately came out and said "eat shit fake news journalists, I matter because I am smart, not because i have a cunt" then the autist would have nothing to rage about. However, this hasnt happened and thus Katie and others like her will continue to get shit on together with fake news media and the melvins of the world.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Nuke the SLS.

SLS is actually decently far along. The problem is the longer it takes to launch the more missions Falcon and Falcon Heavy will have done in its stead....at a fraction of the cost.

That might serve a greater purpose though, it could start congressional action to look at why the SLS and all the fucking ULA porkwagon contracts cost many multiples of similar spacex contracts for the same weight and missions at a fraction of the cost.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
So umm, are we still talking space stuff or a really weird and amazing party from 1983 (or current day Japan)?

My college astronomy prof was supposed to be on the Challenger but got bumped for the chick. He had a buncha Shuttle tiles he let us play with. We heated them up with a MAP gas torch to glowing orange and you could pick them up with your bare hands. They were basically some hot rodded glass matrix that they managed to expand a 100x its original volume. A 12" x 12" x 4" block barely moved the needle on a gram scale. Pretty cool shit.

Joe Ciotti. Great teacher,

ciotti.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My college astronomy prof was supposed to be on the Challenger but got bumped for the chick. He had a buncha Shuttle tiles he let us play with. We heated them up with a MAP gas torch to glowing orange and you could pick them up with your bare hands. They were basically some hot rodded glass matrix that they managed to expand a 100x its original volume. A 12" x 12" x 4" block barely moved the needle on a gram scale. Pretty cool shit.

Joe Ciotti. Great teacher,

ciotti.jpg
Material science/solid state chem is by far one of the coolest things. Nothing makes one feel like a God like manipulating matter does.

• 1Truth!

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
SLS is actually decently far along. The problem is the longer it takes to launch the more missions Falcon and Falcon Heavy will have done in its stead....at a fraction of the cost.

That might serve a greater purpose though, it could start congressional action to look at why the SLS and all the fucking ULA porkwagon contracts cost many multiples of similar spacex contracts for the same weight and missions at a fraction of the cost.
e0zQ7RP_d.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know these tweets are nearly 18 hours old, which in internet terms is essentially prehistoric, but they still feel at least a little relevant to me. Call me old fashioned.

(1/7) So apparently some (I hope very few) people online are using the fact that I am the primary developer of the eht-imaging software library (https://github.com/achael/eht-imaging …) to launch awful and sexist attacks on my colleague and friend Katie Bouman. Stop.

(2/7) Our papers used three independent imaging software libraries (including one developed by my friend @sparse_k). While I wrote much of the code for one of these pipelines, Katie was a huge contributor to the software; it would have never worked without her contributions and

(3/7) the work of many others who wrote code, debugged, and figured out how to use the code on challenging EHT data. With a few others, Katie also developed the imaging framework that rigorously tested all three codes and shaped the entire paper (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ab0e85 …);

(4/7) as a result, this is probably the most vetted image in the history of radio interferometry. I'm thrilled Katie is getting recognition for her work and that she's inspiring people as an example of women's leadership in STEM. I'm also thrilled she's pointing

(5/7) out that this was a team effort including contributions from many junior scientists, including many women junior scientists (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213326021042929&set=a.10211451091290857&type=3&theater …). Together, we all make each other's work better; the number of commits doesn't tell the full story of who was indispensable.

(6/7) So while I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years, if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life. Otherwise, stick around -- I hope to start tweeting

(7/7) more about black holes and other subjects I am passionate about -- including space, being a gay astronomer, Ursula K. Le Guin, architecture, and musicals. Thanks for following me, and let me know if you have any questions about the EHT!
😀
📡
🕳️

khorum khorum on suicide watch

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

SLS is never going to do anything useful because it's going to get delayed until it is shit canned. I think i have an avatar bet with someone saying so. Maybe LachiusTZ LachiusTZ ?

I agree with your point about it being the kind of egregious fuckery that will motivate congress to stop treating nasa as an expensive jobs program.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh I dunno about STOPPING it, but they'd definitely be forced to look into it. No way ULA or Boeing or Lockheed will let that shit dry up man. They've mastered this game since the 50's and everyone congressperson's great-grandchild is set up for life so long as their contracts stay good.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
People on this board have said a lot worse about Elon Musk. How come you weren't there to defend him? Because you're the sexist.

Maybe if he changes his gender and does some infantile poses?

Whatcha doing Elon? IDK :emoji_person_with_pouting_face: thinking about unfuckable extrasolar beta orbiters. HHEHE

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Fucking "gay astronomer" lol whatever.

I have friends who work in the machine shop for university of hawaii astronomy. one of the world leaders in building big telescopes. I have dealt with the a bunch of the actual astronomers working in the dept and up on Mauna Kea. I highly doubt there are any gays ones. every single one I met has been a really fucking weird asexual hardcore autist. Literally had to explain to more than one of them how 'when I do work for you, you have to give me this stuff called money, no not the metal kind, the paper ones.' Those fuckers are not actually living on this planet, they are only thinking about shit up in the sky.

• 2Worf
  • 1Dislike