The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Oldbased

> Than U
1592341820936.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Have they figured out how they are going to generate enough power for any of that? The logical thing to do is build a small nuclear reactor, Im no engineer but I dont see how solar panels support human activity let alone rocket fuel manufacturing on Mars. Not even taking into considering the abysmal power generation at Mars' orbit, theres the fact the planet is covered in planet wide dust storms like clock work.
main reactor.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That's why he resigned to everyone's surprise a week away from SpaceX's launch.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I was going "what what?" before I found out what it was referring to. Although I hadn't seen it referred to as a "black neutron star" until BBC.

The current theorists are all about it being a light black hole, by the way. Explaining a neutron star of that mass is far more difficult than a smaller black hole.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I just go ahead and ask- did she get the job because she is a woman or because she is the best qualified? This is where identity politics leads us. Either way, NASA is now confirmed racist and homophobic for not selecting a black/hispanic/transgender/fluidgender/nonbinary/homosexual.

Also, what is it with government people and their lapel pins? Is it like a Twatter blue check mark?

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I just go ahead and ask- did she get the job because she is a woman or because she is the best qualified?
Industrial Engineering degree and a BA one as well. Nearly 30 years of NASA climbing the various levels. And she was doing the same job, but just for the non-NASA crew sector before. So, she was probably one of the top candidates in the agency. Being a woman may have clinched the nom, who knows, but she's not some random woman promoted there just because.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Industrial Engineering degree and a BA one as well. Nearly 30 years of NASA climbing the various levels. And she was doing the same job, but just for the non-NASA crew sector before. So, she was probably one of the top candidates in the agency. Being a woman may have clinched the nom, who knows, but she's not some random woman promoted there just because.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that she's not qualified. I think she has several degrees. My point was that because these decisions always involve irrelevant factors such as gender, race, etc. that my first reaction is to question whether they were the most qualified.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that she's not qualified. I think she has several degrees. My point was that because these decisions always involve irrelevant factors such as gender, race, etc. that my first reaction is to question whether they were the most qualified.
At these levels, the qualification is mainly being able to attend six meetings in a row without falling asleep, and making a snap decision based on half-baked guesses.

Then, if you are right more than 50% of the time, you get promoted up.

(just kidding)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There's a comet currently visible in the northern hemisphere at dawn, here it is from the ISS.

1593885077950.png

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Of course, goverment flushing money down the drain in stupid projects is nothing new either

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users