The Division

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Cause making you watch 5 seconds afore you can skip the add is not annoying enough too start with. i find myself watching less and less youtube anything at all.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, so far out of all the other next gen games I have seen and heard about, this one has me the most excited by far. Cannot wait to play this.
seriously, this game looks good enough to almost make me want to buy a next gen console. thank god the studio came to their senses though and are making it for PC as well.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No, that's not it. I have the same issues constantly with a 250mb connection, Youtube sucks dick now.
That will depend on your provider. Some ISP have good connectivity with some networks, some have shit. It doesn't matter what YOUR connectivity to YOUR ISP is, it matters what the ISP has.

In the old days (read 1999), data flowed where it could and where there was capacity. That's no longer true: data flows where your ISP pays (or, depending, where the other guy's ISP pays). Here, for instance, people can switch ISPs, keep the same landline connected to the same DSLAM, and have their Youtube speed go from stuttering at 360p to lightning fast buffering at 1080p. One ISP has decided that the network necessary to connect to Google's infra was asking too much, and doesn't pay; the others have caved in and pay.

Elaborating: At home, I've got basic cable, with about 15Mbit/s. I watch 1080p or "native" videos no problem. At work, I have 100Mbits/s but I'm borderline with Youtube at anything beyond 480p. Reason? My home network is a consumer network, access to Youtube was important. My work ISP is an academic/research ISP; youtubers aren't their priority.
(oh, and I got lucky with Valve's network; my laptop upgrades Steam stuff at 5 or 6 Mbyte/s at work, but caps just below 2Mbyte at home).

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure 480p shouldnt be a trouble for a 50mbit connection.
As I said: what's important is less your connection than the connection your ISP has with whatever network it uses to reach the nearest Youtube datacenter. If that connection is overloaded, it doesn't matter how big yours is.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
As I said: what's important is less your connection than the connection your ISP has with whatever network it uses to reach the nearest Youtube datacenter. If that connection is overloaded, it doesn't matter how big yours is.
Then explain why their HD ads play with no issues every fucking time then afterwards it's Bufferfest 2013.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
youtube now has all the episodes of "the life and times of tim" available. so, they're all right in my book.
smile.png

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Then explain why their HD ads play with no issues every fucking time then afterwards it's Bufferfest 2013.
Dunno for you. Me, I never get HD ads at work. Ever. It's always 320p pixelated shit.

Anyway, remember that streaming accounts for 53% of ALL internet traffic, with Youtube representing about 19% on its own. That means that at least 20% of all bandwidth your ISP for all its customers uses will go thru ONE network link. If the ISP has paid enough to its upstream network provider, all goes well. If he hasn't, well, it's going to choke.

If you subscribe to the "Internet as a series of tubes" metaphor, you may have a 1 feet-wide pipe at home, but the 3-feet wide pipe at the bottom of the county's cistern is still going to have problems delivering water to 100k people when they all go to piss during a Superbowl break.

Column_sl

shitlord
Id be interested how they are doing the lighting differently in Frostbite versus what everyone else is doing in there engines.

Just to break it down, the way your machine sees everything is through constantly doing math. That is the reason lighting has always been a bitch because it is really resource heavy.
In the past they just baked lighting into the enviroments to fake it, but now they try to simulate it across the board. No one has really gotten that correct without throttling your FPS way down.

Its why people automatically disable shadows if they can.

Frostbite is claiming they have licked the lighting problems of the past. If that is true then our games will get way better for the future.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Id be interested how they are doing the lighting differently in Frostbite versus what everyone else is doing in there engines.

Just to break it down, the way your machine sees everything is through constantly doing math. That is the reason lighting has always been a bitch because it is really resource heavy.
In the past they just baked lighting into the enviroments to fake it, but now they try to simulate it across the board. No one has really gotten that correct without throttling your FPS way down.

Its why people automatically disable shadows if they can.

Frostbite is claiming they have licked the lighting problems of the past. If that is true then our games will get way better for the future.
the lighting/shading for the division looks a thousand times better than anything i've seen console wise before. i was just watching a demo of dying light and it was an eyesore when compared to what frostbite is able to produce.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
the lighting/shading for the division looks a thousand times better than anything i've seen console wise before. i was just watching a demo of dying light and it was an eyesore when compared to what frostbite is able to produce.
Scene could have been pre-rendered, though. No way to know until you're seeing it played before your eyes.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Even playable demos have been massively bullshitted up. Look at the horrible Aliens game Gearbox shat out, which looked and played awful across all consoles and PC -- noticeably worse than playable demos in the past.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Camera 1:Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Camera 2:Preload Entire YouTube Videos By Disabling Dash Playback

edit:Youtube center. I can't actually vouch for the add-on. I don't use it. Youtube works fine for me.
^^ This. It works, mostly. 360 res will fill up in a few seconds, 720p is either really fast or really slow. Sometimes it disables 1080p. Still better than buffering in tiny chunks. Sometimes reloading the page will get 720p to load faster. Youtube sucks ass for this bullshit.

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
I think this game looks great, but seriously the third person over the shoulder viewpoint is dead, right? right?!