The Edenville Dam in Midland, MI (world HQ of DOW Chemical) collapses forcing thousands to evacuate

Downhammer

Trakanon Raider
83d 23h 6m
Any update on the chemical ponds and their contents? Floods suck but they happen and there's a pretty standard cleanup process but not when there's nasty shit in the water.

My wife's last semester of undergrad was canceled when her school town flooded. Corona closing schools and postponing graduations has been giving her flashbacks. She talks about people waterskiing behind pickups and stuff but there's no way I'd do that downstream of a chemical plant.

• 1Like
Reactions: Chukzombi

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
33d 3h 57m
Any update on the chemical ponds and their contents? Floods suck but they happen and there's a pretty standard cleanup process but not when there's nasty shit in the water.

My wife's last semester of undergrad was canceled when her school town flooded. Corona closing schools and postponing graduations has been giving her flashbacks. She talks about people waterskiing behind pickups and stuff but there's no way I'd do that downstream of a chemical plant.

theres no way I’d do that anywhere. Sewers back up into flooded areas. 🤢

DOW is saying that no chemicals were released just their containment ponds...and they’ve been pretty silent about what things could have been found in those ponds so far, only that it doesn’t pose a threat to people or the environment. Which probably means we will find out otherwise once the EPA is in full clean up mode of the area.

Chukzombi

Silver Earl of the Realm
272d 15h 37m
theres no way I’d do that anywhere. Sewers back up into flooded areas. 🤢

DOW is saying that no chemicals were released just their containment ponds...and they’ve been pretty silent about what things could have been found in those ponds so far, only that it doesn’t pose a threat to people or the environment. Which probably means we will find out otherwise once the EPA is in full clean up mode of the area.
Dow Chemical is likely lying their ass off. they may not dump chemicals on the regular, but they probably do enough on the irregular to have tainted every bit of groundwater for miles.
take that from a guy who lives in a state where chemical dumping is a rite of passage.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
33d 3h 57m
Sattalite images of Wixom lake, before and after. As you can see, it was a pretty massive lake. 85 miles of shoreline.
685C192C-7479-4CE8-804E-6C16DECFA089.jpeg

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Bronze Donator>
40d 15h 33m
And Grayling WOULD have largely evacuated south to the Midland/Bay City/Saginaw tricities if that whole area wasn't fucked. Wow.

• 1Like
Reactions: chthonic-anemos

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Are the major cities ultra-fucked or are they safe for now?

I am totally in the dark about how your lake-system works, are there feeder rivers that supply lakes which then filter down-stream and get bigger and bigger til they hit the greats?

• 1Like
Reactions: chthonic-anemos

AladainAF

Hard truths cut both ways
<Gold Donor>
69d 21h 6m
It seems that they finally agreed to sell the dams to a public consortium that was gearing up to perform the necessary fixes, but not fast enough.

But Four Lakes Task Force, the group looking to buy the dam, applied in 2019 for $1.6 million in grant money for the Edenville Dam. The request would have taken all of the available grant money in the aquatic habitat and dam management grant programs that year and was one of 42 competitive applications submitted.
"Based on the criteria/priorities of the grant and the different fund sources, the Edenville dam pre-proposal ... did not compete well enough to make it through the first stage," Kosloski said in an email.

iannis

Musty Nester
96d 13h 41m
thank you

and the picture is normally where 4 feet of water would have been in Wixom Lake. The lake had a max depth of 40ft and that section is dry now as well the lake had 84 miles of shoreline. The whole lake is gone.
I've got some reservations call a 4 foot deep body of water a lake. Around here we call that a mosquito pit. People even dig their irrigation ponds deeper than that.

We need a new word for that type of structure.

I'm only picking that nit. The rest of it still sucks.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
33d 3h 57m
I've got some reservations call a 4 foot deep body of water a lake. Around here we call that a mosquito pit. People even dig their irrigation ponds deeper than that.

We need a new word for that type of structure.

I'm only picking that nit. The rest of it still sucks.

juat that area was 4ftdeep, it was by the shore. Wixom topped out at 40ft and had over 80miles of coast line. It wasn’t small by any means.

• 1Like
Reactions: iannis