The Edenville Dam in Midland, MI (world HQ of DOW Chemical) collapses forcing thousands to evacuate

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Any update on the chemical ponds and their contents? Floods suck but they happen and there's a pretty standard cleanup process but not when there's nasty shit in the water.

My wife's last semester of undergrad was canceled when her school town flooded. Corona closing schools and postponing graduations has been giving her flashbacks. She talks about people waterskiing behind pickups and stuff but there's no way I'd do that downstream of a chemical plant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Any update on the chemical ponds and their contents? Floods suck but they happen and there's a pretty standard cleanup process but not when there's nasty shit in the water.

My wife's last semester of undergrad was canceled when her school town flooded. Corona closing schools and postponing graduations has been giving her flashbacks. She talks about people waterskiing behind pickups and stuff but there's no way I'd do that downstream of a chemical plant.

theres no way I’d do that anywhere. Sewers back up into flooded areas. 🤢

DOW is saying that no chemicals were released just their containment ponds...and they’ve been pretty silent about what things could have been found in those ponds so far, only that it doesn’t pose a threat to people or the environment. Which probably means we will find out otherwise once the EPA is in full clean up mode of the area.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
theres no way I’d do that anywhere. Sewers back up into flooded areas. 🤢

DOW is saying that no chemicals were released just their containment ponds...and they’ve been pretty silent about what things could have been found in those ponds so far, only that it doesn’t pose a threat to people or the environment. Which probably means we will find out otherwise once the EPA is in full clean up mode of the area.
Dow Chemical is likely lying their ass off. they may not dump chemicals on the regular, but they probably do enough on the irregular to have tainted every bit of groundwater for miles.
take that from a guy who lives in a state where chemical dumping is a rite of passage.

• 3Truth!
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What am I looking at? The other side of the dam reservoir that is now empty?

And serious Tarrant Tarrant chin up bro. Hope that 2021 is significantly less, "Shit on Tarrant Year."

Yeah that's a boat dock formerly on Wixom Lake (the name of the reservoir)

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Sattalite images of Wixom lake, before and after. As you can see, it was a pretty massive lake. 85 miles of shoreline.
685C192C-7479-4CE8-804E-6C16DECFA089.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 2WTF

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Jesus, now we have a wildfire 95 miles to the north that’s is now causing the town of Grayling to be evacuated.

• 2WTF
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And Grayling WOULD have largely evacuated south to the Midland/Bay City/Saginaw tricities if that whole area wasn't fucked. Wow.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Are the major cities ultra-fucked or are they safe for now?

I am totally in the dark about how your lake-system works, are there feeder rivers that supply lakes which then filter down-stream and get bigger and bigger til they hit the greats?

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The Trump curse is really ramping up, wow.

• 4Like
  • 1Seriously?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Nature is healing itself garble garble garble

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It seems that they finally agreed to sell the dams to a public consortium that was gearing up to perform the necessary fixes, but not fast enough.

But Four Lakes Task Force, the group looking to buy the dam, applied in 2019 for $1.6 million in grant money for the Edenville Dam. The request would have taken all of the available grant money in the aquatic habitat and dam management grant programs that year and was one of 42 competitive applications submitted.
"Based on the criteria/priorities of the grant and the different fund sources, the Edenville dam pre-proposal ... did not compete well enough to make it through the first stage," Kosloski said in an email.

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
thank you

and the picture is normally where 4 feet of water would have been in Wixom Lake. The lake had a max depth of 40ft and that section is dry now as well the lake had 84 miles of shoreline. The whole lake is gone.
I've got some reservations call a 4 foot deep body of water a lake. Around here we call that a mosquito pit. People even dig their irrigation ponds deeper than that.

We need a new word for that type of structure.

I'm only picking that nit. The rest of it still sucks.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've got some reservations call a 4 foot deep body of water a lake. Around here we call that a mosquito pit. People even dig their irrigation ponds deeper than that.

We need a new word for that type of structure.

I'm only picking that nit. The rest of it still sucks.

juat that area was 4ftdeep, it was by the shore. Wixom topped out at 40ft and had over 80miles of coast line. It wasn’t small by any means.

• 1Like