The Expendables 3 (2014)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jesse Ventura coming in with a conspiracy theory in the government is what me and my bros came up for a plot for expendables 4 over the weekend.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was thinking they could take connery out of his retirement home then add brosnan and dalton for an english twist to the franchise.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ha. That'd be awesome. That really needs to be the next step. Throw in Daniel Craig and make it about the expendables vs MI6 secret agents

spronk

FPS noob
finally got around to seeing the screener, glad I did since I can skip the free screening at theaters tomorrow - not really worth the trip. Last 30 minutes of the movie was great, first 90 minutes is not good. Way, way, way too many new characters making it all a hot pile of random garbage characters each with their own 2 minute scenes. Mel Gibson was a cheesy, dumb, bland bad guy. Not really a big surprise that Stallone wrote the story and script. Looks like it was mostly filmed in Bulgaria, sets and cinematography were nice but special effects were terrible (may be screener but I doubt it).

2 > 1 > 3. hope Stallone hires a real writer for 4 and doesn't try to cram in every friend of his into a single movie.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
PG-13 alone nearly ruined it, but Bandaras, Arnold, and the last 20 minute segment of the movie saved it from being downright awful. Definitely save your money.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, this movie bombed. I'm shocked...

rrr_img_73823.jpg
rrr_img_73824.jpg
rrr_img_73825.jpg

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The PG-13, bad early reviews, followed by bad official reviews killed this for me. Will wait for cable.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't agree with the entire concept of these films. Stallone can do hardcore shit, and I think he should. Die Hard is how you do action comedy. This stuff is buddy cop level shit.

I do think that the piracy hurt them, but mostly via word of mouth. The film wasn't that good, that information got out, and it diminished sales.

Szlia

Not really a big surprise that Stallone wrote the story and script.[...] hope Stallone hires a real writer for 4 [...].
He should hire an academy award nominee for best original scenario of a movie that won the Oscar for best film...

That said the movie was not as fun than the second and there is an alarming density of people who can't act (the front runner in that category being Ford, Schwarzenegger and Rousey - in their defense I am not sure Stallone is the best at getting great performances out of actors!). It has the courtesy of being a very compact and straight forward scenario With 5 big blocks, 4 of which are action scenes, but I did not care much for the young guns (I am here for the old guns!) so 2 out of 5 blocks are a bit underwhelming. Banderas was entertaining and Gibson unsurprisingly out-acted everyone even without much to work with. I still left somewhat satisfied and would rate it above the first one (because the dictator stuff was unbearable and the pacing was sluggish).

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I love that the embrace the "Its a mindless action flick wit ha horrible story lets just throw stars at it and have crazy action".

But people are only going to pay to see that so many times. I cant wait to see this movie, but I cant wait to get it on DVD and spend a hungover saturday afternoon jamming out to this with friends. Not spending 30 bucks to see it in a theater.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PG-13, poor casting decisions, and a story that writes out the whole reason anyone goes to see these movies for at least a third of the two hour runtime ruined it. I'm sure they will try to 'fix' the PG-13 with a bunch of CGI blood that looks fucking retarded when the blu-ray comes around, but it still won't make the movie any better. There was already way too much obvious CGI in the theatrical cut.

It's too bad, because with a hard R, practical special effects, and someone to remind Stallone of the reason why people watch this series it could have been the best of the bunch. Also, Ronda Rousey needs to get acting lessons stat if she intends to keep making movies, because her non-action scenes were just painful to watch. She makes Gina Carano look like Meryl Streep by comparison.

Szlia

I defense of Ronda Rousey (who can obviously defend herself!), Gina Carano had Steven Soderbergh to direct her acting!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I personally loved Banderas character at the end, he fucking killed it lol.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
cynthia rothrock, jesse ventura and carl weathers needs to get in on this action.
I can't help you with Jesse Ventura or Carl Weathers, but...Mercenaries (2014) - IMDb

Not great, but not as terrible as it could have been. Kristanna Loken is so much fucking hotter than all those other chicks though, I'm surprised they wanted to be in the same movie with her.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user