The Fast Food Thread

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well that's great but I got food poisoning last year for the first time in my life and thought I was going to die

Oddly I've only gotten food poisoning once in my life - guess what city I was visiting at the time?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

On wings: I actually get the best results doing them Alton Brown's steam + oven method. Tried frying a bunch of times at home and never was as happy as with his method - it's more work, but....

Alton Brown's Buffalo Wing Recipe

• 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Slow smoked wings are immensely different flavor and texture than fried wings. They're the snobby wing-eater's wing IE super good but you usually can't get 50 for 20 bucks.

• 2Quality Calories
  • 1Supertaster

Crone

I'm with @BrutulTM, I've never had food poisoning in my life. Of those that got it, how did you know it was the food? Sounds like some subjective bull shit diagnosis.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Supertaster

Vaclav

I'm with @BrutulTM, I've never had food poisoning in my life. Of those that got it, how did you know it was the food? Sounds like some subjective bull shit diagnosis.

In my case, we were in Boston for a wedding, 4 of us (us + her side in-laws did the trip together) at the same place the day after the wedding before we left time - and all but me got violently ill that night and it hit me the next day.

• 1Supertaster

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ate chicken winge, went home to watch a movie. Towards end I started getting knife stabby feelings in stomach and started cold sweats. Started becoming delirious. Said to my wife "I'm not feeling good" and as I finished the sentence I projectile vomited. I then projectile vomited and had mass diarrhea for two days straight (often at same time), while unable to stand for more than 20s and became dehydrated.

People tried to tell me it was the flu but there was no way. My body hated those wings.

• 1Supertaster
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Maybe the movie was just really really terrible so your body rejected it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Quality Calories

Crone

Interesting. I've taken a shit and then had to puke right after. Happened 2 nights ago actually, where I woke up cuz my stomach didn't feel so hot, took a shit, and then while shitting I started to do the dry heave thing, and then I finished, and turned around and hurled. This is pretty common for me as in a few times a year, but it's always singular events. Went back to bed and I'm fine in the morning.

Maybe my stomach is like the Russia of stomach, and it rules with an Iron Fist, so I just purge that shit out quick and don't take 24 hours to purge like a pleb?

• 1Supertaster

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Everyone gets food poisoning, there is just a large amount of symptoms and severity. I was a product of free range parenting so my immune system has always done a good job of getting rid of shit it knows is bad.

• 2Supertaster
  • 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Besides, sauce, what's the difference between what you consider quality wings and subpar wings? Serious question, I'm genuinely curious, because I've eaten wings all over and I can't say I've ever really noticed much difference in the actual chicken. Maybe I've just never had truly good, high-quality chicken wings.

Most of the time it's going to be the cooking method. As mentioned, smoking wings is by far the best but it does add to the time and price. Rub the wings with a spice blend, smoke them for six hours or so, and finish them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp up the outside. They'll be delicious without any sauce, but who would do such a sacrilegious thing?

But meat quality can make a difference. They don't do any of the above method, but the wings at Quaker Steak & Lube are absolutely a cut above your run-of-the-mill wings. And it definitely affects the taste positively. I feel they use much larger, meatier wings.

• 1Supertaster
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well that's great but I got food poisoning last year for the first time in my life and thought I was going to die

A decade ago I got the worst food poisoning I ever had off enchiladas (or maybe the side salad I'm always suspect of uncooked veggies) but either way, I could eat mexican food for about a year, one of my favorite categories too.

• 1Supertaster

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I used food wishes baked crispy wings at a pool party. I did honey Sriracha and Frank's, ppl ate em up, thought it was good, thought it was amazing once they learned they were baked.

• 1Supertaster

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider

My most recent food poisoning event felt like I had a gigantic lump in my stomach all day to the point of being uncomfortable. I couldn't lay down or basically sit without pain. Next thing I know, I was on the verge of finally being able to sleep when it hit me, ran to the bathroom and vomitted what felt/seemed like many gallons of crap out of me.

The problem with all of this is the place that gave me food poisoning... Qdoba... My weekly lunch-spot has now officially been ruined. This occurred about a year ago (story is in this very thread), and I've had Qdoba since but could never have more than a few bites without feeling sick. I think the blessing in disguise is I feel that Chipotle is better overall (mainly the meats) as I've now made that my new weekly burrito fix. Aside from the possible(eventual) case of E. Coli or whatever it'll give me, I'll enjoy it while I can.

• 1Supertaster

Crone

Of everyone describing their stuff, I've had it all aside from it lasting 24 hours. I never once thought, dang, must of eaten something bad, or had it ruin my like for a food place. I agree, that we all process and handle food differently, so maybe I've had food poisoning and didn't even know it and just thought it was some bad shits.

• 1Supertaster

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
one time i had food poisoning so bad i had vertigo... literally couldn't walk, could barely crawl, just slept near the toilet for two days, whole foods sushi, never again.

• 1Supertaster

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well that's a useless fucking confirmation then, isn't it? The entire question was whether they do 2 for $10 on the stuffed crust. I said myself that my local grocery store does 2 for $10 on regular rising crust. That's nothing special.

Yes the stuffed crust ones are included in the 2 for $10 which isn't bad since they are normally priced at like 8.99 or some shit. I always buy them when they are on sale though.

Vaclav

Of everyone describing their stuff, I've had it all aside from it lasting 24 hours. I never once thought, dang, must of eaten something bad, or had it ruin my like for a food place. I agree, that we all process and handle food differently, so maybe I've had food poisoning and didn't even know it and just thought it was some bad shits.

I've never heard of food poisoning not being under 24-48h range. In my experience it's pretty uncommon too (1 case in 40 yrs for me). I'd put my money on you lucking out.

There's stomach upset from a bad meal (either due to allergies/other health issue) or minor bad prep. But food poisoning is crippling for quite a while.

I've got some other GI health issues, which are awful, but they're distinctly different from food poisoning.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yes the stuffed crust ones are included in the 2 for $10 which isn't bad since they are normally priced at like 8.99 or some shit. I always buy them when they are on sale though.

Provide photographic proof and I'm moving to where the hell Publix is located.