The Fast Food Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, so I'm doing keto now, and will be on the road for a long time next Monday. Any tips for keto eating on the go?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Fresca is so damn good. Like damn. Can't even stand most diet, but Fresca is different.
This. Black cherry citrus Fresca is like goddamn crack for me. Next up is water with Crystal Light Wild Strawberry mixed in, oh my god. This shit was amazing back when they had the flavor for soda stream so I could carbonate that shit. I was off soda for a couple years thanks to that, but they don't make it anymore. Now it's Fresca.

The peach Fresca is tasty as well.

I've been hooked on diet Squirt the last 6 months or so. So refreshing.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hey, so I'm doing keto now, and will be on the road for a long time next Monday. Any tips for keto eating on the go?

Burgers with no buns, grilled chicken. Be extremely careful anywhere you go, especially fast food. Most items have sugar in every single item on the menu, do your research and try to stick to mom/pop locations. Even places like Applebees, Chili's, Friday's, Etc. have sugar in everything.

Try to stick to places that have fajita's, cheesesteaks (no bun), burgers (no bun), and some salad places that actually have sugar free dressings (Ranch can even be sketchy sometimes).

If you're going for a cheat day Popeye's spicy chicken strips do not have sugar.

• 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
04744CDA-5B02-4242-AD8A-69A07B49FA7E.gif

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have done this recently. Most satisfying thing I could get was grilled chicken nuggets from chik fil a or the gargantuan sandwich, no bun, from Jimmy John's. Can cut out the tomatoes to drop carbs even more but as a lettuce wrap its like 8g? Not bad.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I scoped out a lot of jerky and most of it had a surprising amount of sugar in it. Just Googled Slim Jim nutrition, tho, and I see that it's barely got any. Hell yeah, thank brosephius.
Duke's sausage jerky, no sugar and tons of flavor.

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Call me a dork. But seems hard to imagine the mayo sauce and extra bun that the 1/4lb and big mac would come out to the same calories

Screenshot_20180612-162645_McDonald's.jpg

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Call me a dork. But seems hard to imagine the mayo sauce and extra bun that the 1/4lb and big mac would come out to the same calories

View attachment 168114

Big Mac beef patties are significantly smaller than quarter pounder patties. Google says they're 1/10 of a pound, which is surprisingly small to me. The Grand Mac and Mac Jr. use 1/6 pound patties, for comparison.

Looks like less cheese on the Big Mac, too. I guess the Big Mac is just a rip-off? May as well and Mac sauce to a quarter pounder.

Sludig

I missed the slices of cheese difference, that alone is probably a big hunk of it. (1/4 lb before cooking usually ends up looking no bigger than the normal patties to my mouth.)

Amazingly think I'll pass on the BOGO artisan/1/4pounder. (Physical and online coupon seems to be cheese 1/4 only, no deluxe option) Doing just the bacon mcdouble as mentioned by someone before which is tasty w/ +mayo and a ever so good spicy chicken for my cheat day this week.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My go to burger from McD's was a little know menu item called the Daily Double. It's a McDouble topped with lettuce, tomato, slivered onions, and mayo. I much prefer lettuce + tomato over pickles on a burger, so it appealed to me a lot more than the McDouble / Bacon McDouble. Just sucks that it's like $2.59 versus the $1.99 for the Bacon McDouble.

I guess it might have been cheaper to do a Bacon McDouble add lettuce+tomato+mayo? IDK. Probably will never find out now that I've gone carbless.

Sludig

Don't eat too much sausage/bacon on that keto diet, causes cancer.

Actually was curious why bothering doing keto at this moment? I am actually debating trying to get the wife on it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There's lots of evidence that shows keto diet helps fight cancer. The pain from my tumors dramatically lessened within days of starting the diet, went from 8 of my pain pills a day down to 2.

I could stand to lose some weight too, somehow I've stayed at ~215lbs all through treatment. I'm 6'0" for reference. So I'm not real fat, but a lot of my clothes from my college days don't fit me anymore, and it would be nice to be able to wear my old wardrobe again. :)

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Depending on where you are on the road I can tell you that Whataburger has a "no bun" option, which can also be a "lettuce bun" where they use two big pieces of lettuce.

I used to help a friend secret shop Whataburger back in the day, astounding number of options. But one I picked up which I still use to this day is "No Bun Oil". That way they don't put it on that "butter oil" roller before toasting it. Drops a not insignificant amount of fat from the burger, and the bun comes out fluffier.

And to necro page one of this bitch... Cane's is the Alpha chicken strip joint, although I've started cheating on Cane's with Slim Chicken's.

• 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Man I have been trying to diet a bit and figured I would cut out carbs for June but goddamn do I want a fucking solid burger.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Mainly because aspartame has started tasting kind of bitter to me. But also paranoia because I've read a lot about how aspartame could potentially cause health problems. I do realize most of the hard science that supports that is from several decades ago, and nothing modern has confirmed it, tho.

What hard science?

Aspartame is one of the most studied substances ever.

The Truth about Aspartame

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What hard science?

Aspartame is one of the most studied substances ever.

The Truth about Aspartame

Like I said, the science that says it's toxic is 40 years old. That science is the reason the article you linked exists. Modern science says it's safe, as I also ready said.

And the main reason I don't like it is because it has started tasting bitter to me.