The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

There is a cave, were the dragon actually "spawns" it's a bit north of him, has some lightning keese in it, setup there wait til morning, use updraft too float up a bit, aim arrow at what part you want, wait for "shiny" too start falling, then wait till morning over and over and over, there is a bit of downtime when he spawns but it's pretty fast, most of the parts will land on the upper terrace this way also.

Yeah that is where I set up once I had a few rain storms take my fire out and annoyed me- you can do trees if your precise with placement- and have an easy shot. If you do evening (I think) - he is literally spawning as you fade in - you can shoot "where he is going to be" and it will hit - because his model is "there" even though its "fading in" visually - you can just shoot at nothing and it will work- you just cannot really choose what "part" you want...so if you are farming a certain part, scale, horn claw- take the extra moment to fly up, wait for fully visual spawn and get what you need- if you are farming money, shoot arrow and sit and sleep asap over and over.

Siliconemelons

Noticed my game was wanting to patch, thought it was a DLC!

But nope, just a patch to fix the dead guardian with item diarrhea and the sword trial world re spawns EVERYTHING upon teleportation bug.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Anyone have a run-down of the content in the new DLC? From what I've seen seen doing a cursory google search, it looks pretty thin, aside from gimmicky shit, like the motorcycle and some shrines, is there significant new story/gameplay content?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone have a run-down of the content in the new DLC? From what I've seen seen doing a cursory google search, it looks pretty thin, aside from gimmicky shit, like the motorcycle and some shrines, is there significant new story/gameplay content?
5th Divine Beast I think? Looks like there's some story.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sadly, it doesn't add any new story.... while the korok beast is cool its useless, Nintendo really needs too work on actual story elements instead of just re-hashing the same story over and over..(specially with BotW's last DLC,while some of the story elements are a nice touch they are just that, nothing new..)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
This game is amazing! I am 2-3 hours in and I have avoided reading/watching anything about it. Right now i am hunting for meat to make try and figure out the old man's recipe, probably spent an hour on it and I love it. I do have one question for you guys, should I get the DLC now or wait until I finish the released version. Please quote me or Oblio Oblio so I see your response because Like I mentioned I am trying to avoid spoilers, thanks!

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Same, I turned in my Best Buy points and got a switch for like $40...loving Zelda so far..cant believe how big it is!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Therage

Vyemm Raider
This game is amazing! I am 2-3 hours in and I have avoided reading/watching anything about it. Right now i am hunting for meat to make try and figure out the old man's recipe, probably spent an hour on it and I love it. I do have one question for you guys, should I get the DLC now or wait until I finish the released version. Please quote me or Oblio Oblio so I see your response because Like I mentioned I am trying to avoid spoilers, thanks!

I personally pre-ordered the dlc. If you don' think the game is hard enough yet. The first one adds hard mode. It can't get seriously rough but loving it so far. The other thing it comes with can be pretty difficult, I don't want to spoil anything though so that dlc is good as you can access most of it by mid game. As far as the newest dlc I haven't had time to play it yet. But I think you get both for $20.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Oblio Oblio i would wait on the dlc. You will have plenty of game to keep you occupied right now. The DLC isn’t anything worth the price tag. Loved the main game.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Thanks guys, I will wait on the DLC and check back in about a month or two when I have beaten the game, assuming I maintain my current glacial pace.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Thanks guys, I will wait on the DLC and check back in about a month or two when I have beaten the game, assuming I maintain my current glacial pace.

I spent around 100 hours to get all the shrines but didn't do all the other side quests and everything else. I spent about 30 hours of that on three hearts. If you're a completionist see you back here in a year or two, especially if you don't look anything up.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah this game....

I cannot describe my feelings for it. My family thinks I hate it because I am constantly cursing at it for it's weird tedium from design decisions, yet if I'm not careful, the sun will hit me in the eyes through my window, letting me know 12 hours has just passed by.... again.

The weapon decay is definitely the biggest offender for sure. But I am not a fan of the rain causing you to fall off mountains. Or the mounts being as dumb as they are. This one could be all me but I captured a horse and steering it is somewhat of a misnomer, as I pushed my stick to the left, and the horse "might" go that way or he might not or he may go plunging off that cliff because fuck you.

But despite the tedium I just listed, I have well north of 30 hours (can't find a time played timer) and I am just now getting to the first beast in Zora land and have completed 25 shrines and finally found the zorok seed guy to expand my inventory at a stable.

• 1Like

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Yeah this game....

I cannot describe my feelings for it. My family thinks I hate it because I am constantly cursing at it for it's weird tedium from design decisions, yet if I'm not careful, the sun will hit me in the eyes through my window, letting me know 12 hours has just passed by.... again.

The weapon decay is definitely the biggest offender for sure. But I am not a fan of the rain causing you to fall off mountains. Or the mounts being as dumb as they are. This one could be all me but I captured a horse and steering it is somewhat of a misnomer, as I pushed my stick to the left, and the horse "might" go that way or he might not or he may go plunging off that cliff because fuck you.

But despite the tedium I just listed, I have well north of 30 hours (can't find a time played timer) and I am just now getting to the first beast in Zora land and have completed 25 shrines and finally found the zorok seed guy to expand my inventory at a stable.

Those were most of things that bugged me as well. Extra five minutes here and an extra 15 minutes there.

There is an option to see how long you played from the console itself. Can't remember what specific system menu it is on but it told me 50 hrs+ for Mario and 100 hrs+ for this.

Raign

Golden Squire
Yeah this game....

The weapon decay does not bother me that much given pretty much every creature in the game drops new ones, but the rain all but totally preventing climbing is just pure and simple time sink tedium which the game absolutely did not need. I pretty much only use horsed between stables where I can put them on auto-pilot on the roads, most of the time I just find it easier to climb and para-glide everywhere.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The weapon decay does not bother me that much given pretty much every creature in the game drops new ones, but the rain all but totally preventing climbing is just pure and simple time sink tedium which the game absolutely did not need. I pretty much only use horsed between stables where I can put them on auto-pilot on the roads, most of the time I just find it easier to climb and para-glide everywhere.

I am really starting to see this. There is a stretch from late plateau to just past the first villiage where you get attacked a ton by non weapon weilding beasts. But at this point I have my stock of good weapons but usually just fight the battle with stuff that dropped. I still kind of wish that you could craft basic weapons yourself though. And yeah I never use a mount because when I do I ride for a few minutes until I see a rock formations that looks interesting so I get off and start climbing. An hour and three shrines later, I'm two sections over and I can't call it.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been playing this all week. I'm aware I'll ruffle a few feathers in saying this but, graphics aside, I think this is superior to Horizon. Not sure why they're so frequently compared here, though - HZD is narrative-oriented, whereas Zelda's a sandbox, though I guess they're both games Ubisoft wishes it could make, they're both excellent and they came out roughly at the same time.

I think I get the rationale underlying the disposable weapon mechanic - this is an open world, and open-world games almost necessariy suffer after you fail to resist the urge to seek the most powerful shit from the outset and thus trivialize the rest of the game - and it contributes to my favorite thing about the game, which is just how improvised some encounters can be, but I hope they do something else next time. Weapon degradation is an annoyance in any game; the fact that in this game they cn straight up break - and break into nothingness - is a little too much.

And yeah, the rain is an unnecessary annoyance, the story isn't great, the korok collection is ludicrous, the sidequests are awful and the inventory can be hell.

And yet...this is one of my favorite games ever, and I'm not even much of a Zelda fan (LttP is a GoaT for me, but I think Ocarina is the most overrated game ever, I hated Majora and didn't bother with any Gamecube or Wii Zeldas) and I don't generally like open-world games.

I think it comes down to two or three things for me. First, I LOVE the shrines. None of them thus far have been difficult to figure out, but there's something about the interplay of the in-game physics and the abilities the game gives you, and watching that interplay unfold, that's extremely gratifying. Two, and marginally related to one, I love how the game imposes virtually zero restrictions on both what you do and how you do it. Skyrim and its ilk accomplish the first, but you're restricted to holding R2 (or whatever) for the second. Finally - and I readily accept the possibility that I just suck, but it makes no difference - I love that the game isn't easy. I'm 40 hours in and I'm still working out how to handle those fucking lynels.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's generally considered superior to HZD in the wider gaming community, FoH is just a bit of a bubble in the HZD vs BotW debate.

I find them to be very different games honestly, but I find BotW to be way more memorable and enjoyable even though comparing them is pretty difficult.

• 1Solidarity