The RPG Thread

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
What do you miss by not talking to party members? I definitely haven't been doing it, but I'm only 8 hours in. Can probably start over and get to the same point twice as quickly if necessary.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Optional side quest are updated/learned by talkin to whoever is following you at the time - Alisha or Rose or whoever - you can start up a convo and they will have options that tell you whats going on - Likewise its good to rest at Inn's periodically since they also give you some things every now and then. My thing is i want
Alisha in my party and not Rose, im also curious on the blue Valkryie shit in the game as well and how to obtain the mythril

According to this ive missed 2 mystic artes

Tales of Zestiria Sub Events Guide - Walkthrough to Complete All Storylines | SegmentNext

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Optional side quest are updated/learned by talkin to whoever is following you at the time - Alisha or Rose or whoever - you can start up a convo and they will have options that tell you whats going on - Likewise its good to rest at Inn's periodically since they also give you some things every now and then. My thing is i want
Alisha in my party and not Rose, im also curious on the blue Valkryie shit in the game as well and how to obtain the mythril

According to this ive missed 2 mystic artes

Tales of Zestiria Sub Events Guide - Walkthrough to Complete All Storylines | SegmentNext
Hmm, alright. I was encouraged by the response this game got here, but for once my evaluation isn't at all congruent with my RR bros. I don't care for the way equipment is handled, the battle system seems like a step back from Graces and Xillia and I can't stand the way the seraphim system hampers party configuration.

On the plus side, the story does seem better than the rest of the newer tales games. All the same, probably gonna set it aside for the moment and tackle it again when resources exist for a comprehensive single playthrough. I don't care if some of the trophies require two playthroughs.

Might as well play Xillia 2 while it isn't too much of an eyesore. Not a graphics whore but the Xillia games are ugly as shit.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I agree completely about the equipment part. I've played the whole game on Hard and have basically ignored the entire Fuse and ability grid system. Find a set that gives you +20 of all stats and don't upgrade anything unless you can easily get it back. It is overly complicated and self defeating to try and min max that shit during a normal playthrough. No doubt it'll be necessary for some post game stuff and once I open the grade shop hopefully it becomes more manageable.

The story is great though and as the combat opens up and I get better it is feeling great. Management of your party through the quick actions helps a ton. And once you get rolling with the BG usage and armatizing / swapping Seraph the damage and combos really go up.

Everything just seems to open up way more slowly than other Tales games though. The world feels very closed off until pretty far in. Side quests are random and sporadic so there are large pops of 'oh let's go help this guy' in between a largely on rails main quest. Same goes for some of the combat stuff too. Some things are not immediately obvious and unless you run in to a tablet thing to open up that tutorial / explanation you'd never know.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm at the haunted house roughly 8 hours in. Is the game still revving up?
In a way yeah - thats way back there lol - Problem is like others says the equipment is done terribly and its hard to know whats better for your bitches than normal- The companion AI is also pretty bad and in almost every way the game is Inferior than ToV (to me) but its still pretty hard to turn off once i get going. Just make sure youre constantly talkin to your partner to see what else there is to do in other cities and check the maps for stars and chat icons.

The combat is a step back and honestly you can be in Sorey+Lilah form 24/7 and just fire dmg every mob thats not resistant to it.

I didnt play xillia 2 but i like it more than Graces and Xillia one but not sure when a new Tales game will surpass ToV to me.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
In a way yeah - thats way back there lol - Problem is like others says the equipment is done terribly and its hard to know whats better for your bitches than normal- The companion AI is also pretty bad and in almost every way the game is Inferior than ToV (to me) but its still pretty hard to turn off once i get going. Just make sure youre constantly talkin to your partner to see what else there is to do in other cities and check the maps for stars and chat icons.

The combat is a step back and honestly you can be in Sorey+Lilah form 24/7 and just fire dmg every mob thats not resistant to it.

I didnt play xillia 2 but i like it more than Graces and Xillia one but not sure when a new Tales game will surpass ToV to me.
Gah, don't mention ToV
frown.png
. Was a dozen hours into it and loving it, got my first RRoD. Sent it in, booted up ToV when I got it back - RRoD within an hour.

After which I said fuck it and bought a PS3.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'm kinda hoping if Zestiria does well enough we get a Vesperia port to PC; I've yet to play it heh. Semi tempted to find a cheapo used x360 but eh, got enough games as is.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that is the main reason I got this on PC, just hoping it does well and we'll get to see more of these on PC.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Tales is pretty interesting to me. I've played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Xillia 1 and Zestiria. The only two I loved through and through were Abyss and Vesperia (for the dozen hours I got to play it). The others are flawed as hell. The titles and battle system got me more addicted to Graces F than any other Tales, but everything else about it was shit. Xillia had a solid battle system and a better story than Graces, but I hated the lillium orb and (I think the following can be attributed TV weirdness, because nobody else seems to mention it) the graphics were bar none the ugliest I've ever seen on the PS3. I don't even mean just bad - it was straight up hard to look at at times.

edit: as for Symphonia, I just played it too late. Battle system felt dated as fuck.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Symphonia was my first but I played it when it first came out on GameCube so it has a special spot. No idea why I even bought it to be honest. Had never played a similar style game, I was much more in to the traditional RPGs and tied to Squaresoft. Glad I did though.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Tales is pretty interesting to me. I've played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Xillia 1 and Zestiria. The only two I loved through and through were Abyss and Vesperia (for the dozen hours I got to play it).
I still think Abyss has the best battle system of any tales game ever, hands down, no contest. Best characters too.

But I've always liked all of the tales games, going back to tales of destiny, except for tales of legendia. That one was fucked up.

spronk

FPS noob

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The first game is very good, I'll definitely be snagging the second one. I actually ran out of steam about 75% of the way through the first one because I found out it was part of a trilogy. So I guess I'll have to finish off the first game now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Their problem, and I guess it's because it started so long ago, is they should have ran some sort of kickstarter/indiegogo whatever, so people can give them more money than the game. If you look at a recent kickstarter for a japanese visual novel, Muv Luv, they got 1million from asking for 250k. The average amount of money spent per person was like 160$. Now this is considered the best visual novel ever, so that's not quite the same caliber as Kiseki, but still. There's not that many fans for this kind of stuff, but a lot are willing to spend a lot more money if you add random shit like physical copies, vita versions, figurines and so on. The great thing is you don't have to make more than you need or whatever, you just make the amount people bought, so you don't lose money, and you get more money out of the people who really want this stuff.

Like those 5k sales on steam probably would have spent 80-100$ average instead of whatever it's sold at, for a bunch of additional stuff that wouldn't have cost all that much to make.

Hell doesn't even have to be a kickstarter, you can just have your website setup to sell like collection editions and shit, in advance, so people can spend more money if they want to. They have a website selling OST and shit but it's not super obvious, and a lot of people who want this shit want one nice package with all the stuff in it. Make it limited edition, make it preorder only, this way you know how many you need to make. Make a few more to sell after, but yeah.

It seems like a poor way to make these games tbh, or at least to market them. You're not gonna get massive sales on these probably, so you should aim at the few fans that are willing to spend a lot of money to support their hobbies.

I'm just about done with Dragon Quest Heroes, and I'm guessing Disgaea 5 is my next game. For some reason it's $20 cheaper via PSN than retail, so I'll grab it there. Is any of the DLC worth the price (in terms of reducing grinding time in the post-game)? I don't want the season pass, but will grab a few things if they reduce headaches.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I'm just about done with Dragon Quest Heroes, and I'm guessing Disgaea 5 is my next game. For some reason it's $20 cheaper via PSN than retail, so I'll grab it there. Is any of the DLC worth the price (in terms of reducing grinding time in the post-game)? I don't want the season pass, but will grab a few things if they reduce headaches.
A lot of the DLC characters are quite powerful, but as far as mitigating grind, there's really only one or two. Metallia's the obvious one - she!s got an overload that captures all mobs on the map. You'll need to capture tons to boost squads and stats.

Salvator improves the quality of the extracts you...extract from captured monsters.

Zetta, Adell, Valvatorez, Pram, Pretta, Pleinair all seem like really good characters, but they're just that - really good characters. They won't do anything about the grind.

I'm stuck in the post-game item world grind myself. Have 5 characters at 20 million gearless, buffless stats, and it's getting to be too much. I don't wanna level traps forever, so taking a break.

Amazing game, though. 120 hours of utter addiction before it got to be a little too much.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I'll add that in addition to accelerating postgame progressio with her overload, Metallia is simply very good, and early on ridiculously OP. She started out at like level 25 for me and already had omega spells - two tiers above my other casters at that level. By level 50 she had learned tera spells, which is absurd. I think my mage learned them at 250 or 300.

Her World is Metallia's unique also wrecks face.

Caliane

Their problem, and I guess it's because it started so long ago, is they should have ran some sort of kickstarter/indiegogo whatever, so people can give them more money than the game. If you look at a recent kickstarter for a japanese visual novel, Muv Luv, they got 1million from asking for 250k. The average amount of money spent per person was like 160$. Now this is considered the best visual novel ever, so that's not quite the same caliber as Kiseki, but still. There's not that many fans for this kind of stuff, but a lot are willing to spend a lot more money if you add random shit like physical copies, vita versions, figurines and so on. The great thing is you don't have to make more than you need or whatever, you just make the amount people bought, so you don't lose money, and you get more money out of the people who really want this stuff.

Like those 5k sales on steam probably would have spent 80-100$ average instead of whatever it's sold at, for a bunch of additional stuff that wouldn't have cost all that much to make.

Hell doesn't even have to be a kickstarter, you can just have your website setup to sell like collection editions and shit, in advance, so people can spend more money if they want to. They have a website selling OST and shit but it's not super obvious, and a lot of people who want this shit want one nice package with all the stuff in it. Make it limited edition, make it preorder only, this way you know how many you need to make. Make a few more to sell after, but yeah.

It seems like a poor way to make these games tbh, or at least to market them. You're not gonna get massive sales on these probably, so you should aim at the few fans that are willing to spend a lot of money to support their hobbies.
yeah. marketing is the problem.
main stream games journalism hates jrpgs. hipsters love the retro indie games... but actual jrpgs? lol nope.
There should be a huge market for translated games like this. But its going to be word of mouth mostly. A kickstarter would very likely work well, as it would be a platform to go viral on. There are of course a number of examples of this. Recettear. and games like huniepop.

I'll add that in addition to accelerating postgame progressio with her overload, Metallia is simply very good, and early on ridiculously OP. She started out at like level 25 for me and already had omega spells - two tiers above my other casters at that level. By level 50 she had learned tera spells, which is absurd. I think my mage learned them at 250 or 300.

Her World is Metallia's unique also wrecks face.
Thanks for the info. I'll grab Metallia and Salvatore to speed up some post game grinding!