The Wolverine

Gecko_sl

shitlord
That trailer did nothing for me. This movie really should have moved more into a Blade direction and taken an R rating and went completely in the spirit of Wolverine. I guess if they can screw up the Chris Claremont Dark Phoenix saga, then it's not a leap for them to dumb down Wolverine goes to Japan.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Yeah, until they make an R rated Wolverine movie it's destined to be shit I'm afraid. And there's only 2 chances of that: Slim and None.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but Wolverine just isn't right until he's going ginsu on a whole group of dudes in the midst of a blinding rage, not just lamely stabbing them. When he's done it should be like someone threw the dudes into a giant blender, set the blender on puree and forgot to secure the top correctly. A woodchipper could only DREAM of the damage Logan can do. Like, if another good guy came upon the scene of what happened, they should just about become physically ill.

There is one potentially interesting angle to this movie though (although I'm not holding my breath that they actually do it):

Without his healing power, or a limited healing power, they could show him going through some martial arts training in Japan to compensate for his lack of healing. IIRC, in the comics Logan is an expert in just about every martial art there is, in addition to his mutant abilities. In the movies this is totally not the case. He just kind of slashes at people and stabs at them with no evident artistry at all. So lame.

Really though, I have no hope for any Wolverine property until 2 things happen:

1. Marvel Studios gets the rights back. Good fucking luck on that one.

2. They get a different actor to play him. Jackman is a great actor and does rage well, but physically he's just too tall to play him. Logan is a hairy fireplug of a guy, not 6'3".

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Until then you'll just have to settle for Wolverine using his claws to chop up fire escape ladder.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It doesn't have to be rated R to be good. At all. Which is a good thing because it will never be rater R as long as he's considered a top tier property. R rated movies do not make as much money.

They barely care about violence when it comes to ratings. And it's not like Wolverine needs to swear and have full frontal nudity. These movies are shit because they are shit, the PG-13 rating has fuckall to do with it. If they suddenly added more graphic violence it wouldn't suddenly be a good movie, it would be a shitty movie with blood spraying. Put the right people behind the camera and writing the screenplay and the movie will be better. Slapping an R rating on it won't suddenly take the flying roof motorcycle ninjas out of the movie. It wouldn't suddenly make Gambit stop being a faggot who can fly by spinning a staff.

Give the property back to Marvel and you will get a badass PG-13 Wolverine movie with plenty of violence. Because they will put the right people on the project.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It doesn't have to be rated R to be good. At all. Which is a good thing because it will never be rater R as long as he's considered a top tier property. R rated movies do not make as much money.
That's not entirely true. Hangover, Hangover 2, Ted, and the Matrix movies all made significant money. I think if anything this Wolverine should have been rated R and if they ever make Deadpool that almost has to be rated R.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks dumb. I couldn't care less of seeing the same struggle wolverine goes through in every movie he's in. It's like, fuck dude, get over it.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Deadpool is funny as shit on paper, I don't think his humor or 4th wall breaking will translate to the big screen. Not to mention the mouth-breathers probably wouldn't get the joke.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Deadpool is funny as shit on paper, I don't think his humor or 4th wall breaking will translate to the big screen.Not to mention the mouth-breathers probably wouldn't get the joke.
Pretty sure they're going to be theonlyones to get the joke.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's not entirely true. Hangover, Hangover 2, Ted, and the Matrix movies all made significant money.
Who said they don't make "significant" money. I said PG-13's make MORE money. Because they make more money. It's not a matter of opinion.

And again, it's not that I wouldn't love a well made R rated Wolverine. It's that you people are focusing on the mostly meaningless part of "well made R rated". Here's a hint, the R rated part is not the big thing they are fucking up.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure they're going to be theonlyones to get the joke.
Yeah I thought about that after I wrote it, however, I bet there are a significant number of sheeple who don't read comics because well reading is hard when your mommy diagnosed you with ADHD.

Goatface

pg-13 really sucks when you see what you can do on tv and get a tv-14 (Walking Dead). pretty sure that some Justified and Sons of Anarchy episodes would get NC-17 on the big screen. the whole seemingly arbitrary system need to be scrapped.

Ryan Reynolds said recently they have a great script for Deadpool, but the studio doesn't want to do a R movie.

He was a good actor for the role, but then he'd have to move and the CGI turned him in to a retarded lemur with rubber bones...
totally agree. hated him as Sabertooth.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Don't get pissed at the studios because a movie is rated PG-13. Get pissed at the authoritarian council of holier-than-thou assholes that has the studio's nuts in a vice, and has theater owners believing they're the only thing that can protect children from deviant art.

Watch this:This Film is Not Yet Rated. It's a real eye opener.

Goatface

didn't really like that movie, that whole little part about movies making people violent annoyed me.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I'm assuming this will never happen due to financial concerns, but I would love to see a PG-13 version for theatrical release and have a hard R version for the blue ray (yes I know it's blu but that's not even a goddam word and fuck them, I won't say it). Release both the PG-13 and the R version on one blue ray or even separately if they wanted. I'd even pay an extra five bucks or so for the privilege. They could film the movie knowing this is what they are gonna do and do a few extra takes with less swearing, remove all the CGI blood and remove a few scenes of decapitation and whatnot, but give us all what we want.

However, as usual, I agree with Pam, it's not the rating that sinks them, it's the fact they keep getting shitty people to make shitty versions of these movies. Which has always perplexed me. I mean, for fuck's sake, you have DECADES of good wolvie stories. If you're not smart enough to make one, just RIP ONE OFF. That's what you're paying the licensing rights for anyway. Douches. That said, I'll see most of you opening day.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm assuming this will never happen due to financial concerns, but I would love to see a PG-13 version for theatrical release and have a hard R version for the blue ray (yes I know it's blu but that's not even a goddam word and fuck them, I won't say it). Release both the PG-13 and the R version on one blue ray or even separately if they wanted. I'd even pay an extra five bucks or so for the privilege. They could film the movie knowing this is what they are gonna do and do a few extra takes with less swearing, remove all the CGI blood and remove a few scenes of decapitation and whatnot, but give us all what we want.
There's only a few movies where i'd be interested in seeing that sort of thing... i would LOVE to see an R rated version of the star wars prequel trilogies... but let's be honest... it wouldn't make them any better movies. wolverine does not need to be R. that's not waht makes wolverine awesome. sure, if you make the movie R you can be more visceral, you can have him cleave a person into 12 pieces, you can make him walk out of a room with so much blood and gore that would make Dexter queasy... that is a very real and valid part of who wolverine is. but at the end of the day, you can do all that off screen and still have the same effect.... which would be to show the brutality and feral rage of logan... the great wolverine comics aren't about gore. they're about overcoming his own deficiencies. he's a character where for all intents and purposes he should be a villian. his skills, his attitude, his behaviors... he should be enemy #1. except somewhere deep down he wants to go against all that and be good.

you don't need an R rating to show that. you need a good writer. unfortunately at the moment that's not at fox. after the butchering of wolverine: Origins (though the game was pretty awesome), i've got NO hopes for this.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't get pissed at the studios because a movie is rated PG-13. Get pissed at the authoritarian council of holier-than-thou assholes that has the studio's nuts in a vice, and has theater owners believing they're the only thing that can protect children from deviant art.

Watch this:This Film is Not Yet Rated.It's a real eye opener.
indeed.and this movie is from 2006.so maybe the situation could have changed (for the best or for the worst).
if the 1st movie from a series is rated R,then the followers should be R.you have the AVP for exmaple,any alien or predator movies is R so you cannot transform those 2 franchises into PG-13 LOL

but Grimmlokk is right,you don't need to put a movie R rated just to be good.you just need good writers,producers and director,imo.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe one could point to Blade as a rated R superhero movie that did well. Those movies only made like $150 million apiece, but at that time, those were Marvel's first financially successful movies.