Titan has been cancelled.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
See, if you want to do a player driven city, you abuse the shit out of concepts like retainers/companions/etc as a key mechanic. The character you play kills dragons and loots treasure chests. The companion/retainer tab has all the crafting/etc professions, so you just click a couple of things and let them do that stuff while you go out and do adventurer stuff. You can even have them remotely (MAGIC!) put shit in the AH, or if you go the silly way and don't have one, you have it rent pre-determined locations within a city for x hours and put the wares up that way.

The problem for the hipsters is that it was done that way in SWTOR and not EQ, thus it has never been tried before and everyone just wants a WoW clone with zero innovation(nevermind the fact that copying a 15 year old game doesn't exactly scream being innovative).

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't want to be limited to dungeon crawls or killing dragons - sometimes I just want to do something sedate while I do homework or watch TV. One of my friends did this with EVE while he watched an hour or two of his shows every night...he'd fly out to a hisec asteroid in an indy and a single laser, then go watch The Walking Dead. He'd go back and empty his indy at every commercial break.

I don't want to have to do crafting where I have to literally be active and counter events like in EQ2 (even though I did that a lot). That just led to people using bots because being forced to play crafting whack-a-mole fucking sucks. I'd prefer being able to start 'jobs' and let them complete over time like in EVE.

I see stuff like crafting or harvesting as things you can do without having to be "plugged in". People know what I'm talking about, I don't want to spend all of my time poopsocking on some spawn or running through zones like a freight train. If I can tab out and do something else for 15m or take unannounced breaks then come back and craft/harvest, then fantastic. Over the years I've had to sacrifice so much in terms of time...from epic grinds and zone clears all the way to insane raid schedules and wanting to stab my own eyes out after wiping yet again on Razorwhore...that to be honest I'd love alternative gameplay within an MMO that isn't added as an afterthought and gives me something to do while watching TV or in between loads of laundry. And sometimes I just don't feel like herding cats or dealing with retards. And I don't want to see another MMO built around a raiding endgame, though that's just me.

As far as guards go, if you want world based PVP that isn't a battlegrounds or arena, make what players build (farms, mills, walls, gates, whorehouses, taverns etc) destroyable over time somewhat like structures in EVE. Fuck having to "guard" your town/keep/city, but when a large enough force shows up and rolls the NPC guards then congrats, you can basically have Southshore 2.0. Except in this instance you have something tangible to lose, or if you are attacking, something tangible to gain.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
GW2 did that, and it was stupid.
Yea.

"Don't defend this spot! The retaking event has a champion with loot!"
/em watches as players keep on slaughtering attackers

The EQN version of it sounds a bit better because it is slower to change, and more unpredictable. But the unpredictability means that "guard job" is not a good idea.
See, if you want to do a player driven city, you abuse the shit out of concepts like retainers/companions/etc as a key mechanic. The character you play kills dragons and loots treasure chests. The companion/retainer tab has all the crafting/etc professions, so you just click a couple of things and let them do that stuff while you go out and do adventurer stuff. You can even have them remotely (MAGIC!) put shit in the AH, or if you go the silly way and don't have one, you have it rent pre-determined locations within a city for x hours and put the wares up that way.

The problem for the hipsters is that it was done that way in SWTOR and not EQ, thus it has never been tried before and everyone just wants a WoW clone with zero innovation(nevermind the fact that copying a 15 year old game doesn't exactly scream being innovative).
And never mind that the Garrison in WoW is exactly what you describe. Including the remote control.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea.

"Don't defend this spot! The retaking event has a champion with loot!"
/em watches as players keep on slaughtering attackers

The EQN version of it sounds a bit better because it is slower to change, and more unpredictable. But the unpredictability means that "guard job" is not a good idea.

And never mind that the Garrison in WoW is exactly what you describe. Including the remote control.
GW2 event never had loot, not worth talking about at least, in fact there was no loot in that game, only grindable shit purchasable with tokens or crafted in the most unfunny way someone could have conceived. Remember those that say "craft with rare drops from mobs"? Yeah, it sucks.
Also champions were farmed on "trains", for no loot really, but you could get gold and that purchased your way to greatness in GW2.

Lovely game, with the worst itemization of all times and no group roles that made it bland and uninspiring.

EQN has 2 problems: given that that they said "no healers" (no trinity?) and because of that I suppose the combat they want is GW2esque "done right", the first issue is that they have no such combat system done and the second is that it doesn't really exist except in the mind of someone that cannot even describe it to you properly, except saying "it'll be fun" when probably it won't be.
Everything that is not combat in an MMO is fundamentally of no importance, MMOs live and die by their combat system (but not only that), meaning it's a ncessary condition for the survival of the game. After that comes accessibility, end game, etc.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There are healing abilities in EQN. They showed a Cleric at SOE live this year.

Vitality

HUSTLE
There are healing abilities in EQN. They showed a Cleric at SOE live this year.
Yeah, it's there, they aren't really pushing the "Healing" archetype though. Seem to be going for a more Support/Utility role with this stuff.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
What Vitality said. They seemed very adamantly against the "healer" role, which I love and want in the games I play. I'm waiting to try the game of course, no point in commenting half done stuff.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
What Vitality said. They seemed very adamantly against the "healer" role, which I love and want in the games I play. I'm waiting to try the game of course, no point in commenting half done stuff.
I've always played a healer, too. Not because there is something I like about 'healing' itself. I did it in EQ because (aside from CC as an enchanter) it was the role that gave me the most control over any given encounter. I love adapting to battlefield conditions, and pulling a group back from the brink.

There is nothing about filling up people's HP bars that I find rewarding. What I enjoy is the reactive gameplay that being a healer brings. I suspect this is also true for most others. In EQN there may be possibilities that mean this reactive gameplay comes in different forms. If so, I don't really care if 'pure healers' go the way of the dinosaur. Imagine a type of gameplay that requires you to manipulate the destructable terrain to mitigate incoming damage, for example.

We shall see.

Vitality

HUSTLE
We shall see.
Healing in EQN, if it were reactive, would be like playing Duck hunt for the NES. With all the nerd little rogues and warriors jumping sky high all over the place, that poor little cleric trying to "FPS Target" dudes for greater heals, Call of Duty Modern Space Simulator.

I'll be fine if they make the cleric a rehash of WAR's warrior priest/disciple of kaine with on hit health return and pbae dumb stuff.

iannis

Musty Nester
There have been multiple iterations of the healing role. If by "no healers" they mean "no dedicated CH clerics" then good. If by "no healers" they mean "no dedicated support roles" then bad.

They probably mean that everyone will be responsible. Which translates into exactly no one being responsible in EVERY social interaction which tries it. Not just computer games.

Hopefully they bear in mind that their playerbase will be comprised of humans. Grognards, sure, but technically still humans.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Healing in EQN, if it were reactive, would be like playing Duck hunt for the NES. With all the nerd little rogues and warriors jumping sky high all over the place, that poor little cleric trying to "FPS Target" dudes for greater heals, Call of Duty Modern Space Simulator.
The only way I'll play a healer in that combat system is if there is a blinking pbAOE heal class. As it stands, though, the Cleric looks like it functions similarly to the Disciple from Vanguard. Certainly not a bad thing, I'm just bored of the 'my melee attack also heals my buddies for some totally uncontrollable value!'.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Like healing in Wildstar?
biggrin.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There have been multiple iterations of the healing role. If by "no healers" they mean "no dedicated CH clerics" then good.
I agree, but ya know what I've realized? There was really no better feeling in any older MMORPG I played than watching your tank's HP dwindle, then willing your cast bar to tick to zero before he took fatal damage. He gets to a sliver of HP, then BLAMMO a nice big heal hits and you saved the day (and were mega mana efficient!). Those little moments of personal drama are what make a gameplay session feel rewarding.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The only way I'll play a healer in that combat system is if there is a blinking pbAOE heal class. As it stands, though, the Cleric looks like it functions similarly to the Disciple from Vanguard. Certainly not a bad thing, I'm just bored of the 'my melee attack also heals my buddies for some totally uncontrollable value!'.
Battle specced Cleric in VG used to be super OP... One shot hammer smash with Invulns and stuff.

To this date, the most fun I've had on any healer in any game was the DoK in WAR. So I'll be golden if I can replicate that in EQ:N

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree, but ya know what I've realized? There was really no better feeling in any older MMORPG I played than watching your tank's HP dwindle, then willing your cast bar to tick to zero before he took fatal damage. He gets to a sliver of HP, then BLAMMO a nice big heal hits and you saved the day (and were mega mana efficient!). Those little moments of personal drama are what make a gameplay session feel rewarding.
I let more than one tank join the Purple Club.

iannis

Musty Nester
Many a group were wiped because I was cybering with the cleric recruits. It was a right of passage to have to group with the pervy hobbit.

It was practical too. It weeded out the ragequitters. Which was the point. We'd take people on a good run first, and then take them on an intentionally fucked up run.

You had to make your own fun in that game. Every now and then one of our fucked up runs would turn into a good run on accident.

AND WE HAILED THAT RECRUIT AS A GOD.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

I'll be fine if they make the cleric a rehash of WAR's warrior priest/disciple of kaine with on hit health return and pbae dumb stuff.
How do you react to something when it's all a haze of partical effects.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Many a group were wiped because I was cybering with the cleric recruits. It was a right of passage to have to group with the pervy hobbit.

It was practical too. It weeded out the ragequitters. Which was the point. We'd take people on a good run first, and then take them on an intentionally fucked up run.

You had to make your own fun in that game. Every now and then one of our fucked up runs would turn into a good run on accident.

AND WE HAILED THAT RECRUIT AS A GOD.
God damn it's crazy to think how serious people were about guilds in EQ. Maybe it was because of how many people it took to keep the machine running but god damn. So much shady shit could go on and 75% of the guild would never know. Also cliques within cliques within cliques. I wonder if the guys that have started playin mmos in the last 5 or 6 years have ever been through any of that. Haven't really been into that shit in a long time myself.