Warcraft III: Reforged

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Warcraft III: Reforged Multiplayer is Compatible With Original Warcraft III Multiplayer, More Details - Niche Gamer

Now, we’ve learned the remaster – subtitled Warcraft III: Reforged – will have an online multiplayer component that is fully compatible with the original Warcraft III online multiplayer, among other new details.

Yes, this means users loading up the ridiculous 4K remaster of the beloved RTS will be able to play it online with holdout grognards that are still logging into that same old lions gate portal – for a game that launched back in 2002.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I ran through the demo mission at Blizzcon on hard; the mechanics are 1:1 as far as I could tell.

The update is pretty awesome from a graphics perspective, but it is definitely not modified in any way mechanically. I'll buy it since it means I don't have to monkey around with resolution shit to get it to display properly at 1080p (not even awesome mode.) And it has been awhile since I ran through War 3 and FT. Honestly my standout from the whole blizzcon ordeal.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I kind of enjoy coop in SC2. Clearly WC has enough heroes and iconic maps to do something similar. I don't know that I would pay a bunch for a re-skin but add some modern game modes and altered units/mechanics and I'd consider it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
shit so you can just straight up play DOTA 1 with the new game? or is that only for like.. non-custom games lol

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well... nevermind then

Blizzard to Retcon Lore in Warcraft III Remaster to Better Follow Retcons in World of Warcraft - Niche Gamer

Stillwell later clarified that they don’t want to simply remaster Warcraft III, but instead “do more with it,” hence the push to retcon things in the game’s various storylines came up. This is being done by writer Christie Golden, an author that worked with Blizzard on multiple Warcraft novels.

Golden is working to bring “parity” with the stories in Warcraft III and its MMO successor World of Warcraft, with a “renewed focus” on a few central characters “that we thought deserved a little bit more time in the limelight.”

• 2Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Typical Blizzard. They'll retcon anything and everything if they think it'll make them more money. They care zero about lore.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They aren't really retconning anything new though are they? Just retroactively 'fixing' War3 to match retcons they've already done in WoW.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They aren't really retconning anything new though are they? Just retroactively 'fixing' War3 to match retcons they've already done in WoW.

No way to know yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Either way, it's a remake rather than a remaster with any story changes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean it's been what, 14 years of relentless recons every time they write new lore? I just don't see how it really matters anymore. I mean yeah, you're technically correct that it's a remake instead of a remaster, but I'm beyond being upset about warcraft retcons at this point.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I was never upset by the retcons in WoW. Mildly annoyed maybe, but certainly not upset. This pisses me off though as the point behind remastering a game like this is to provide modern enhancements to a beloved game. Changing the story on top of those enhancements makes it an entirely different game.

And this is why my previously mentioned "fuck pre-ordering" stance is important.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
beta started, streams on twitch. Orcs and Humans only so far. Menu very barebones. Doesn't really look like they'll make the 2019 release.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
beta started, streams on twitch. Orcs and Humans only so far. Menu very barebones. Doesn't really look like they'll make the 2019 release.

The delay is probably trying to figure out how to let gold spammers send you channel invites.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WC3 in my opinion hit an excellent middle ground. It was detailed enough to give you an idea of what was going on, but also let you fill in the gaps, and create your own image in the game.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
B4330C92-B1E2-41A1-AEF0-DE2A7E8FA842.jpeg

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If they neuter the custom map and use the same custom map system that Starcraft II used they will be fucking up immensely. For the second time.

You had some cool custom maps in SC2 but it was way harder to actually find games of shit you wanted compared to SC:BW and WC3.

xzi

Mouthbreather
how many people were actually playing customs in sc2 though? sc has always been the more 'serious' game I'm not that surprised it took me forever to find games, even just TD games for a while.

I haven't been in the editor in quite a while but what was the issue with it? Genuinely curious as I have no real experience on it. I made quite a few WC3 maps though.