Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Hmm. I know its a pipe dream but....

When is GW going to see the light and understand that an exact fucking port of the table top game to the PC would be a fucking gold mine.

We live in the age of micro transactions. Buy a squad of 5 marines for 10.00. Add special weapons for 2 bucks each. Convert it to assault or heavy for 15.00. Buy paint set with limited use for 5.00. Add any number of cosmetic enhancements on each squad member for 1.00 each. Sell a really, really basic 1000 point army of any race for 30.00 to start people off and allow for games up to any point total.

No stores, no retail employees, no warehouses full of shit or any overhead at all. Or stay with 1980s business model.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
A high-level strategic "general command" AI
I addressed AI above already, but I still consider AI to be a dubious replacement in what would otherwise be a PvP scenario against other players. And frankly many Devs have talked positively about the AI in their games, and 99% of the time it's turned out to be the same old shit.

The setup is similar to a PvP game
Except it isn't PvP against other players, which whether anyone wants to believe it or not will ruin it for a lot of players. Any kind of PvE 40K MMO would have an incredibly steep hill to climb in order to sell that game to players, regardless of how you want to theorycraft any potential PvE design parameters.

AI adjusts its difficulty and strength to the players online, rather than the designers hoping there's about an equal balance between, say Imperium, Tyranids, Eldars and Orks, both on capacities of players, but also number of players. Less chance of a wreck.
It's give and take. You're assuming that the AI would work well, wouldn't be exploitable, or any number of other issues. You've always had to make some sort of a sacrifice for either full AI or player based PvP, and neither is perfect. I'll be the first to admit that there will always be issues with player faction (im)balance, but I would gladly take that over an entire game based on the promise of capable AI just so it can cater to PvE homers. And besides, what I envisioned wouldn't be fully player-based PvP in any event any more than EVE is (which for those that haven't played, has quite a bit of PvE from 'rats' to missions to Sleepers or whatever else).

Granted, 95% of the devs are probably too stupid to envision anything else, or, if they are, some execs are probably going to get cold feet at one point and try to ask their devs "isn't this too diifferent from WoW? Can we have some yellow ! marks somewhere?".
Well can you blame me? When the industry stops making 95% of modern MMOs based on almost the exact same XP/Level/item progression and other assorted design decisions then I'll stop taking those as the PvE baseline example.

Here you have. Your PVE-based MMO, with objectives, meaningful influence on the world, opportunities to help groups, and whatnot.
A lot of what you said doesn't scream "meaningful PvP" to me. Ranks, achievement scores, achievement structure rewards, objectives...that does not give it a meaningful influence on the game world in my mind. All that sounds like is an FPS console style 40K game morphed into some sort of PvE MMO. I went into some depth earlier about what I would consider to be factors in creating a game with a PvP facet that has a meaningful affect on the game world itself, but what you describe sounds completely uninteresting to me.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Any kind of PvE 40K MMO would have an incredibly steep hill to climb in order to sell that game to players, regardless of how you want to theorycraft any potential PvE design parameters.
Says who?

Lets see:
-Space Marine; Single player game. I didn't buy it for the multiplayer portion. Also, one of the features asked for the most was the Co-op campaign that never came, instead we got the exterminatus thing. To be honest with you? All of my friends that have played SM when asked about a 40K MMO, want more SM, but able to co-op it with friends and go on more missions. With the option to play as Chaos and have locations along their way where they can duke it out against space marines and vice versa.
-Dawn of War series, 1 and 2. Doubt multiplayer was its strength. It sold on its single player campaigns. I only played multiplayer with my buds. Neither of those games were anything like Warcraft of StarCraft in terms of multiplayer community. Why do I say this? If the common consensus is that PvP is 40K's strength in the PC gaming world, what better source to use than the Dawn of War games. I never felt that multiplayer was ever their greatest strength and main reason people bought those games, I could be wrong though.

I have played the RPG, and we have played PCs versus PCs. We had an issue with too many people showing up to smash everyone into a single group. I mean, they make all kinds of references for the RPG that you can do whatever you want, and like most PnP RPGs if you are limiting yourself to what you say above - playing a retinue and doing PvE - then that's on you, honestly. It's no different than old D&D groups that tried to run two separate and opposing groups when they had an excess of players and some wanted to play evil characters. We did that some back in the day and it didn't go any worse than the standard RPG games went. If you're limiting yourself to playing the RPG as a psuedo-PvE encounter then I don't know what to tell you, other than it is a horrible argument to try to support a PvE 40K MMO with.
None of those games are designed for that, neither is D&D 3.5+ . That sort of play is discouraged actually (see the numerous D&D insiders). If you and your group played that way, more power to you guys. Normally around here, you either got warned or kicked from the groups. The official D&D games didn't allow players doing that either. All of the groups out here that are running the dark heresy series of RPGs (Deathwatch, rogue Trader, etc) have a single DM and a group of players around them, all working for the inquisitor or what ever. This is besides things like hero arenas and such.

The reason why I threw in the dark heresy examples was to show that a co-op MMORPG with a lot of depth is very feasible, optional Pvp thrown in.

Actually, be interesting to take a survey of the local gaming groups to see what their take on it is, I can easily do that. We have a hobbytown that rakes in about 30-40 every Friday night for gaming, and another store that has a Wednesday campaign. Back when I had my own store, we talked the same BS we're talking about right now, a 40K mmo. Most of the hype back then was around the Warhammer fantasy one by mythic. Rarely did any of the numerous neckbeards ever say "it must have pvp at it's core and pvp must be meaningful". The main talk back then was a game similar to Inquisitor, where all players were imperials banding together.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with PvP. Hell, I got no problem with Planetside in 40K land, I'd actually prefer that. I just don't understand why you guys say that PvP has to be at its core. When you say 0.0 space, I translate that to mean: I -must- PvP to get the better shit. Unless you guys mean just the mechanic and not the risk-reward part (which then defeats the whole purpose).

I just don't see GW taking a risk (or any small company licensor) taking a risk on something like that. GW already has a track record of catering to the WoW sort of game composition:
-Mythic's Warhammer Online
-The original warhammer online was going to be that everyone was Empire (and allies of the empire), fighting the various denizens of the setting. Keep in mind that this first iteration of the game was almost entirely funded by GW and they had both hands in the cookie dough.
-In White Dwarf 300 (if I recall correctly), GW themselves said that "Movie Marines" (i.e. the concept of Space Marines found in the novels and fluff) is not conducive to proper balanced gameplay and that concessions have to be made in the spirit of sportsmanship and fun. Be interesting to see how that idea translates to the rest of their IP's and MMOs derived from them.

I'm not saying the game should ONLY be PvE, or PvP, I'm just playing devil's advocate on behalf of Grandma Wendy knowing how they prefer the big bucks.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Any kind of PvE 40K MMO would have an incredibly steep hill to climb in order to sell that game to players,
... to PVP-oriented players, you mean?

It's probably not much more or less a hard sell than a PVP-based game to PVE players. And there's a lot of them. Consider that 75% of the players in EVE don't step out of Empire. There's 144 PVP servers vs 138 PVE servers in WoW EU. The point we probably do agree is that you can't make a good PVE-and-PVP game. One of the facets is going to be shit.
It's give and take. You're assuming that the AI would work well, wouldn't be exploitable, or any number of other issues.
Just like any PVE-based game. Unbeatable AI is easy; all AI gets intended design flaws so that you can figure how to beat them. And it's also easier to adjust if something is wrong, because the AI isn't going to flood your forums with complaints about being nerfed.
but what you describe sounds completely uninteresting to me.
Possibly. We may very well need TWO Warhammer 40k MMOs
smile.png

I want you to actually read a few books from the Black Library, especially stuff from the Horus Heresy and then read this sentence again.
I know the way Space Marines are "built". Repeat after me: "The lore serves the gameplay. The lore is there to support the gameplay". You can dump people straight into the game with everything at hand. That may work for Space Marines, but that does not work for actual, real people. The kind who play the game. Those people need an introduction to the game, they need downtime, they need socialization.
t's impossible to build a decent WH40K MMO.
I presume you also viscerally hate every single movie that adapt a novel. When you change medium, the way the background is presented, and which parts are used, changes. It's inevitable. And that's why a MMO is not going to be a tabletop game or a complete, 100% accurate, faithful adaptation of every sentence ever written in the lore books. If you can't deal with that fact, no game based on an existing non-game IP is ever going to be decent.

When is GW going to see the light and understand that an exact fucking port of the table top game to the PC would be a fucking gold mine.
Yeah good point. Just run it like M:TG or any of the other online CCGs. Buy new units, monthly ladder tourneys, use it as qualifiers for world tourneys, etc.

sunhillow_sl

shitlord
Hmm. I know its a pipe dream but....

We live in the age of micro transactions. Buy a squad of 5 marines for 10.00. Add special weapons for 2 bucks each. Convert it to assault or heavy for 15.00. Buy paint set with limited use for 5.00. Add any number of cosmetic enhancements on each squad member for 1.00 each. Sell a really, really basic 1000 point army of any race for 30.00 to start people off and allow for games up to any point total.

No stores, no retail employees, no warehouses full of shit or any overhead at all. Or stay with 1980s business model.
This x10. I am honestly surprised they haven't done this yet.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Let's hope it is more like PlanetSide type open world PvP.
Um no. Planetside is open world PvP just likeWarhammer Online's. If you don't have the number advantage, good luck winning. Balance is right out the window. This game will be DOA if its anything like Planetside 2 or Warhammer Online.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
I've played that game before, it's called WH40k: Space Marine.
This is a bad thing? If Eternal Crusade ends up being just multiple factions (and SM Chapters) of endless, mindless slaughter, I would be so happy. WH40K Space Marine was an amazing game; truly a paragon of Space Marine gaming. The multiplayer even more so.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see something like PvEvP in the way that the open world is essentially a coop against AI and when you want PvP, it's more like WAR's scenarios or just matches like Space Marine. Of course you can/will expand on simple DM/DTF/Dom/ect, but keep the general chassis as is: Small scale PvP, Big Scale PvE.

Also, I'm not even considering any other race other than Space Marine. What Chapter to be?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
This x10. I am honestly surprised they haven't done this yet.
Make that x1000.

Make a really well done fantasy version and 40k version with micro transactions to buy your units , replicate the book rules - have open games , and sponsored tournaments with prizes and holy shit , I'd throw money at both and be in nerd heaven.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think one thing that would get 40k some of the best press possible would be a really well done movie. I am talking Saving Private Ryan style cinematic and grittiness. Focus kinda small to begin with (maybe a world that is lost from Terra) to introduce people to the world or use Imperial Army that gets hit by Orks or something. Then toward the end, show at least a handful of Space Marines. Something like that would pump so much into the franchise.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I think one thing that would get 40k some of the best press possible would be a really well done movie. I am talking Saving Private Ryan style cinematic and grittiness. Focus kinda small to begin with (maybe a world that is lost from Terra) to introduce people to the world or use Imperial Army that gets hit by Orks or something. Then toward the end, show at least a handful of Space Marines. Something like that would pump so much into the franchise.
I don't think you would ever want to see the Warhammer movie that comes out after the care bears in marketing got a hold of it. They would gut it, not because of the violence; heck no, they could show a full hour of baby corpses raining down onto a field of wood chippers and probably get a pg-13 rating. No, the committees and media would rip it apart for being insensitive to women and minorities.

That said Iwouldlike to see a movie that wasn't CG.

Maybe a movie that depicted the human empire as the depraved, paranoid, vicious, personality cult that the source material makes it out to be... focus on the inquisition side of things. Show them torturing and killing their own. Killing innocents. Make the "cults" they are pursuing seem reasonable in resisting such a draconian authority. Really make it look like humanity has almost no redeeming qualities. Then, just when people think they have it figured out that the inquisition is insane and are cheering for the resistance, bring in the bad guys. Have the forces of chaos get summoned, by the cultists, through a new tear in the warp appearing right in the thick of it.

Then just turn the place into a bloody mess and show what happens when the warp takes hold of a populated center. In the aftermath, despite humanity being wretched and horrible, the audience would be aware that there are far worse things out there.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
A few shop owners and I had talked in a group setting after they had spoke to GW distribution about a PC version of 40k. They were all led to believe that since paints are so profitable for GW, they have no intention of doing a pure PC port at this time.

Not sure if the math really makes that true, but I would really love to see a PC game. I don't buy anything now, but I would buy digital minis and play online.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We could get Roger Christian to direct, as I think he'd nail the size disparity between normal humans and Space Marines. He worked magic with the Psychlos in Battlefield Earth.