Weather

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Another tornado warning. Tornado on the ground 15 miles away headed this way to the river.

Edit - stopped at the river again.

Last edited:
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

80mph wind gust hit Dallas at 5am this morning as a massive front moved in. Power outages of course and the first report I saw were trucks turned over on I-35 from the wind. No tornado as of yet. Someone posted about it hitting on another forum. Looked up the weather at my grandmothers house in east, TX. I think someone was drunk. Front moving there next but it said major blizzard with heavy snow conditions at 72F all day until Thursday.

Edit 96mph wind gust @ Glen Heights.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have been feeling sorry for myself, but not as much as I should have apparently.

Montana just endured one of the nation’s most exceptional cold spells on record - The Washington Post

cold.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Today was blizzard day in Denver. When I went to work last night it was 50. It was raining and blowing a bit when I went home at 05:30. Went to get my car serviced at 8, and by the time I got out at 10 it was snowing and starting to quickly accumulate. Side roads were unplowed. Main roads were stop and go. Work sent everyone home to work from there. So that is what I am doing now. Huzzah.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
80mph wind gust hit Dallas at 5am this morning as a massive front moved in. Power outages of course and the first report I saw were trucks turned over on I-35 from the wind. No tornado as of yet. Someone posted about it hitting on another forum. Looked up the weather at my grandmothers house in east, TX. I think someone was drunk. Front moving there next but it said major blizzard with heavy snow conditions at 72F all day until Thursday.

Edit 96mph wind gust @ Glen Heights.
Sounds like you got hit with what we had in California this past weekend. We went camping in Barstow thinking the weather would be nice. Was miserably windy. Couldn't do shit.

• 1Like

Borzak

What a crap week for weather. Just had a hail storm blow thru.

• 1Like

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got rocked with heavy winds, and rain here in North Jersey. Thought the roof was going to peel off.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Borzak

Posted this in the nuke thread. High water and run off from the snow is impacting levees on the MS river. Shutting down nuke plant. All the spillways in Louisiana have been opened for a while trying to unload water off the river and get it into the gulf. All that snow is gonna be a lot of water when it melts.

I'll pass on shoveling cows out of the snow.

Deadly, Historic Flooding Swamps Plains, Midwest; Preparations Made to Shut Down Missouri River Nuclear Power Plant | The Weather Channel

In Nebraska, the rising Missouri River meant officials were preparing to shut down the Cooper Nuclear Plant in the town of Brownville, according to Omaha World-Herald reporter Nancy Gaarder.
Mark Becker, spokesman for the Nebraska Public Power District, previously told the Omaha World-Herald that if the river rises to 45.5 feet this weekend, as projected by the NWS, the nuclear power plant, which accounts for 35 percent of NPPD's power, will have to be shut down.

• 1Like

Borzak

You thought trucks blowing over was bad?

Bomb Cyclone Winds Blow Freight Train Off Railroad Bridge in New Mexico

A unusually powerful "bomb cyclone" storm system sweeping across the central United States blasted New Mexico with rare hurricane-force wind gusts on Wednesday, blowing roofs off houses, overturning semi-trucks on rural highways, and in one dramatic case, sweeping a freight train right off a railroad bridge.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

The storm was all south and east of me. We were forecast to get 3" of snow and didn't even get that. Digging those cows out of the snow bank looks like a shitty day to me though.

• 1Like

Borzak

Not really weather but, the MS river is incrediably high and that's before spring melt of the snow. The MS river in Baton Rouge is 2 feet from going over the levee, 2nd highest river stage since 1945 and the levee was raised since 1945. Starting to get sand boils where the river pops up on the inside of the levee from the bottom up. The 2 spillways, the Morganza spillway (bypasses Baton Rouge and New Orleans) which shuts off water from the MS river into the Atchafalaya swamp has only been opened twice till now since 1954 and is still closed, and Bonnet Carre spillway (bypasses New Orleans) which funnels the MS river thru Lake Pontchartrain and into the gulf has been open for quite a while. Getting kind of sport, river traffic being shut down to avoid bridge damage.

I can't imagine what is going to happen when the snow melt hits seeing as it was a pretty big snow year.

Bonnet%20Carre.gif

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Not really weather but, the MS river is incrediably high and that's before spring melt of the snow. The MS river in Baton Rouge is 2 feet from going over the levee, 2nd highest river stage since 1945 and the levee was raised since 1945. Starting to get sand boils where the river pops up on the inside of the levee from the bottom up. The 2 spillways, the Morganza spillway (bypasses Baton Rouge and New Orleans) which shuts off water from the MS river into the Atchafalaya swamp has only been opened twice till now since 1954 and is still closed, and Bonnet Carre spillway (bypasses New Orleans) which funnels the MS river thru Lake Pontchartrain and into the gulf has been open for quite a while. Getting kind of sport, river traffic being shut down to avoid bridge damage.

I can't imagine what is going to happen when the snow melt hits seeing as it was a pretty big snow year.

Bonnet%20Carre.gif
The ability to deal with immense water is not something i think New Orleans, is historically apt at
giphy.gif

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Family of coworkers have been evacutated due to flooding in Missouri. His sister woke up to water in the house. His mother was also evacuated.

• 2Like

Borzak

Yeah. When I was looking up the stats and river stages on the lower MS saw an article the Corps of Engineers didn't expect the water levels further upriver in Nebraska and such to make an impact further south. Not sure where they were thinking the water was going, expect possibly over a levee somewhere.

• 1Like

Borzak

I'm jinxed with tornadoes lately. My grandmother called and told me they had a tornado where my house is "near" in the metropolis of 225 people. Then last night the same line of bad weather made it here 300 miles away. Tornado watch, but no tornado. Had one north of here, killed some people and blew down a bunch of houses. It's been a pretty tornadoy spring. I read an article a few weeks ago that was really odd. In the year of 2018 more tornados on the ground in Louisiana than any other state. Which seemed really odd to me.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers

SeanDoe1z1

I'm jinxed with tornadoes lately. My grandmother called and told me they had a tornado where my house is "near" in the metropolis of 225 people. Then last night the same line of bad weather made it here 300 miles away. Tornado watch, but no tornado. Had one north of here, killed some people and blew down a bunch of houses. It's been a pretty tornadoy spring. I read an article a few weeks ago that was really odd. In the year of 2018 more tornados on the ground in Louisiana than any other state. Which seemed really odd to me.

While ago I had one touchdown about a 1/2 Km from my house that went opposite direction and took out a bunch of businesses overnight. No sirens/warnings so I figured just a typical bad storm and went back to sleep. Woke up to a bunch of calls/messages seeing how dead I was.

I guess the state's radar EAS takes 10-15mins to sweep/remodel and this landed inbetween sweeps -- state manager's explanation anyway.

Sad part is I admin an EAS rebroadcast that is responsible for multiple states and I largely ignore reporting emails unless they're failing continuity polls. Its automated though and easy to ignore. Maybe I'll redirect reports for the actual county I live in...

Or move to a state with zero natural disasters (Ohio?).

• 1Like