What IP would make a great MMO?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Star Wars has had two MMO's, one still active.
Battlestar Galactica has a failed MMO.
LOTR has a failed MMO.
Skyrim MMO can go fuck itself.
Sci-fi MMO's exist, they all just suck. Wildstar is sci-fi fantasy.

Honestly I'd like to see Blizzard cut the bullshit and do a full on blending of Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft, instead of the feigned shit they're doing in WOW. Hell, even include Overwatch to the mix.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
There's no chance in hell of it ever happening but I always thought Metroid would make for an awesome Sci-Fi MMO.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
David Eddings: The Belgariad & Malloreon. Tons of cool fantasy lore to create a rich world ripe for MMO adventures.

Already mentioned but Ill second Diablo. Fleshed out in MMORPG world with quests & non linear progression. Perhaps once WoW starts to peter out it will be worth Blizzard's while to invest in a new MMORPG again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
PUBG.

WTB post-apocalyptic realism in Soviet Russia.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shit, Id play the fuck out of a Hellboy universe if it was done right. The Secret World fucked up that possibility too much.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hands down Shadowrun.

The entire concept caters to instanced content, it has plenty of its own unique "rp" elements for those people, and there is a shit ton of source material already out there which can be utilized. The addition of magic and even corps which are bleeding edge with new tech (Ares, Aztechnology etc) makes a path for basically any itemization you want.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Think it was mentioned, but Mad Max for sure. Virtually endless possibilities there.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
The Wire, hardcore mode only. Sling rock to gain levels, but face the possibility of cops or Omar taking everything you've worked for. Experiment with strengths of drug batches, but cut the too much and you're toast.

Nikes and Versace raid gear. Gold chain of crack expedience. Make it to the top and get signed by 50 cent or the Knicks.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Star Wars has had two MMO's, one still active.
Battlestar Galactica has a failed MMO.
LOTR has a failed MMO.
Skyrim MMO can go fuck itself.
Sci-fi MMO's exist, they all just suck. Wildstar is sci-fi fantasy.

Honestly I'd like to see Blizzard cut the bullshit and do a full on blending of Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft, instead of the feigned shit they're doing in WOW. Hell, even include Overwatch to the mix.

It's pretty retarded to consider LOTRO a "failed MMO"

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Yea it's not failed but it's certainly off the beaten path.

Maybe not mainstream, it's all the EQ2 housewives and LOTR nerds. I've tried to enjoy the sucker like twelve time since I was in beta and it's just... Not quite there. Think it's the combat.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

The Lord of the Rings Online™ - Steam Charts

Maximum users 3,703 over a month, and hasn't had near 2,000 concurrent players in a month since 2013. I'm actually surprised it has survived 10 years. But hey, I guess that's what you get with dedicated IP fans. I dunno, I guess my idea of a successful MMO minimum would be Star Wars Galaxies, even though they shut that shit down, it's still getting emulated en mas. Maybe not failed, but certainly a minority in the market.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The Lord of the Rings Online™ - Steam Charts

Maximum users 3,703 over a month, and hasn't had near 2,000 concurrent players in a month since 2013. I'm actually surprised it has survived 10 years. But hey, I guess that's what you get with dedicated IP fans. I dunno, I guess my idea of a successful MMO minimum would be Star Wars Galaxies, even though they shut that shit down, it's still getting emulated en mas. Maybe not failed, but certainly a minority in the market.

I think most of the old school players probably just use the Turbine Launcher (or whoever they sold it to now?)