Whats rustling your jimmies?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've never had trouble shaking loose particles from a spoon evenly across my food. Maybe just practice.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
#2 people who use something up and don't replace it. The other crew is eating up my blue cheese dressing and replacing it with fat free blue cheese. Here's how it goes. I start working here few months ago and all they had was fat free garbage. So I ordered the good stuff. I use it, the other crew uses it, then it runs out and they go back to using the fat free shit. So I have to order more of the good stuff. Everyone eats it until it's gone again. Eventually the fat free shit expires and gets tossed so they make a double order of fat free dressing and there's no room for mine in the cabinets. Lets leave aside the fact that if you purposely eat anything fat free I think less of you. It's almost like these cock suckers are trying to force everyone to eat fat free. I have a hard time believing they simply don't know the difference.

Put the high test Blue cheese dressing in breastmilk bags. Noone will touch the stuff!

lansinoh-100count-2.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

1654808219501.png

i was literally reading comments to buy a new roku when i saw the news/rumor. don't want anything to do with netflix

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Media players in general seem to have peaked because they have attracted the eye of evil corporate entities that want to stuff them full of advertising. Was looking at a Shield to replace my aging HTPC and all the recent comments were from people complaining about recently introduced ads.

I detest advertising in general and especially in anything I paid for so I'm probably going to have to build a new HTPC for 3 times the cost of a Shield.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Media players in general seem to have peaked because they have attracted the eye of evil corporate entities that want to stuff them full of advertising. Was looking at a Shield to replace my aging HTPC and all the recent comments were from people complaining about recently introduced ads.

I detest advertising in general and especially in anything I paid for so I'm probably going to have to build a new HTPC for 3 times the cost of a Shield.

Thanks for the heads up. Love my shield, but I'll block the updates.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Low wifi connectivity in the office shitter. :(

That's actually worse than what I have here, which is NO wifi in that building at all. At least I know to just take a magazine. You have to deal with the hope and frustration.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

It's tech in general. The ability is there so from now on every single piece of technology will have that shit in it.

I just loved dropping $1800 on a top of the line tv last year only to be bombarded with ads every time I turn the damn thing on.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the heads up. Love my shield, but I'll block the updates.
You must not have updated for like a year or more, because that's how long they have been there.

And to be clear, it isn't Nvidia's fault; Google pretty much demanded that if they want to use the Android TV platform, it must have the ads to go with it. Nvidia wasn't using them for the longest time, but Google put their foot down. At least that's what I read. I doubt Nvidia gets a cent from those ads, so I could believe it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sitting through this "listening" meeting at work, and the absolute whining going on here is mind boggling. It takes everything I have to sit here and be quiet about this. Literally just bitching to bitch. Bunch of God damn pussies.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Just got off the phone with tech support. Got a computer that's not outputting any video. So he wants to check the power supply. OK, fine. It's one of the supplies they ship, it's supposed to be 24 V so I measure it and it's like 23.8 V. He goes, oh that's not good, it's supposed to be 24V.

Izz u series Wakandan? This is an industrial computer. The actual voltage range is probably 10-50V (though I can't find it in the manual). But he thinks a less than 1% error might be the problem.

Fucker

Log Wizard

I run Plex on one computer and have an Apple TV box for the TV. Streams fine from PC to TV. Plex has outside sources for movies and crap, but you can turn them off. It doesn't need a lot of CPU, but SSD is a good idea for pics.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just heard the reason on this. The board "....wanted to go a more progressive direction, with DEI stuff, and [hr lady] didn't want to, so I guess she kind of resigned?"
Just found out we're going to use this company for HR and Payroll now
1654892754888.png

• 3Faggotry
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's tech in general. The ability is there so from now on every single piece of technology will have that shit in it.

I just loved dropping $1800 on a top of the line tv last year only to be bombarded with ads every time I turn the damn thing on.

Presumably you can kill this by not letting it connect to the internet?

Friend of mine dropped a similar amount on a new LG TV and the apps on it were infuriatingly slow to use and the input methods consisted of shitty voice recognition that didn't work right most of the time and an on-screen keyboard that makes it take 60 seconds to enter two words. Having finally entered the correct words in the Youtube app, we got to sit through a maximum-loudness ad before we got to actually see what we were trying to find. I was sitting there thinking how my ancient HTPC (still running a Core2duo) is still a vastly better user experience.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
My Samsung had a software update recently and installed a dozen streaming apps i've never heard of. Went through and deleted all of them but was unable to delete the Samsung TV app. That thing autolaunches at turn on now and immediately goes to some 30 second commercial before flipping to a bad knockoff of Chopped. This tv has only ever turned on to HDMI1 on my htpc, but now every time i turn the tv on it immediate launches the Samsung TV app and the blaring unskipable ad before i can back out of whatever show it's defaulted to and change source back to HDMI1. Some google searches found a couple methods to disable the app that didn't work. Week later i found the remote keycode to enter the hidden service menu to disable all of the smart features on the tv which did the trick. But now it's giving me a flashing mute icon in the corner despite not even having audio going to the tv (optical out on the htpc to my Denon 5.1). Toggle mute, volume up/down - nothing. I'm about to throw the damn thing away.

• 1Rustled

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I bought a Sony TV a couple years back to update and while it does have the Smart TV shit, it hasn't been very intrusive. I updated it when I got it and it's been offline ever since(turned off the online stuff on TV AND blocked it on the router in case it just randomly decided to connect itself again, who knows with this shit). There's a splash screen with a bunch of apps and all that crap if I got to the Home menu, but it doesn't default to that when I turn it on so haven't seen it since the update(or well I think I sat on the remote and hit the button once but yeah). Only thing I use my TV for is my PS5 and an Intel NUC to play videos with, shit's pretty nice, relatively cheap and it's still a "proper" PC so I didn't have to change my habits when I switched and it's good enough to play 4K movies on VLC which is basically all I cared about.

Granted I'm EU so not sure if we have laws that prevent manufacturers from fucking us as bad as in the US though or if it's just Sony being less dickheads about it. It sucks it has devolved into this situation where you have to look into whether the products you buy will have unnecessary shit tacked on you can't turn off. Upside is unless it just dies on me, I'll probably keep this one for a while. My previous TV was like 18years old, I only changed it cause it was getting really old, wasn't 4k and the aspect ratio wasn't even standard shit so I had parts of the screen cut off in games and stuff which was dumb.

Goatface

My Samsung had a software update recently and installed a dozen streaming apps i've never heard of. Went through and deleted all of them but was unable to delete the Samsung TV app. That thing autolaunches at turn on now and immediately goes to some 30 second commercial before flipping to a bad knockoff of Chopped. This tv has only ever turned on to HDMI1 on my htpc, but now every time i turn the tv on it immediate launches the Samsung TV app and the blaring unskipable ad before i can back out of whatever show it's defaulted to and change source back to HDMI1. Some google searches found a couple methods to disable the app that didn't work. Week later i found the remote keycode to enter the hidden service menu to disable all of the smart features on the tv which did the trick. But now it's giving me a flashing mute icon in the corner despite not even having audio going to the tv (optical out on the htpc to my Denon 5.1). Toggle mute, volume up/down - nothing. I'm about to throw the damn thing away.

i think this happens when tv defaults into loading smart hub at start up. it can (or could) be disabled.