You may remember him as the neo Nazi surplus store owner from Falling Down

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Actor Frederic Forrest passed away at age 86

You may remember him as the neo Nazi surplus store owner from Falling Down

Of all his roles you pick that one? I will always remember him as Chef from Apocalypse Now.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I heard that the covid vaccine makes you unable to breathe underwater.

• 2Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Likelihood alcohol was involved?

eugene levy pop GIF by Schitt's Creek

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Doubt it, it's like the 10th death from rip tides in the last couple weeks around there

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Doubt it, it's like the 10th death from rip tides in the last couple weeks around there
shhh, shore towns dont like those things being reported. the Jersey Shore has its fair share of those every year, but you never see it on the NYC area news, its only reported in the local shore papers. they're afraid it would hurt tourism, so people have no idea they are in danger until they inexplicably get carried out into sea.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
shhh, shore towns dont like those things being reported. the Jersey Shore has its fair share of those every year, but you never see it on the NYC area news, its only reported in the local shore papers. they're afraid it would hurt tourism, so people have no idea they are in danger until they inexplicably get carried out into sea.
It's funny I grew up in Kenosha, Wi right on lake Michigan (for those of you unaware, growing up on Lake Michigan is significantly closer to growing up near the ocean than growing up near a lake, they don't call it the great lakes for nothing). North of town there's a beach where the riptides are VICIOUS. there are tons of signs and the news reports on any deaths that happen pretty openly. There are a ton of swimming beaches that are totally fine, just this one area is a deathtrap. As far as I can tell it hasn't hurt tourism much, however that beach is pretty close to the racine border and we have a saying in Kenosha... Racine is where all of Kenosha's labor lives. Racine is a dump, so no one is visiting that place anyway

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's funny I grew up in Kenosha, Wi right on lake Michigan (for those of you unaware, growing up on Lake Michigan is significantly closer to growing up near the ocean than growing up near a lake, they don't call it the great lakes for nothing). North of town there's a beach where the riptides are VICIOUS. there are tons of signs and the news reports on any deaths that happen pretty openly. There are a ton of swimming beaches that are totally fine, just this one area is a deathtrap. As far as I can tell it hasn't hurt tourism much, however that beach is pretty close to the racine border and we have a saying in Kenosha... Racine is where all of Kenosha's labor lives. Racine is a dump, so no one is visiting that place anyway
there is a rivalry of sorts betwen the townies in South Jersey and the people who live in the city areas of North Jersey and NYC area.... the townies call the north people "bennies", no idea why, but a typical Bennie goes down the shore (not to the shore or to the beach, its "down the shore") and drinks and parties making a mess and treating the townies like shit in the process. i can only speak for myself, but ive never seen that. its the rep we get. but the townies need north jersey dollars to survive down there on the off season. i'm sure this is the same everywhere where there is a tourist or beach town. my aunt has been a townie for as long as i'm alive, but she came from up here. she says none of that stuff is true, townies just like to bitch about outsiders. anyway, the riptide stuff is hushed up i believe because the tourism money is more important than safety, especially safety of some Benny outsider. just watch your shit if you come here. the undertow/riptide is real and it will fucking get you.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
11 in two weeks, 7 of those at Panama City.

It's definitely a bad year for rips. Although I basically avoid the beach from May through August.

Cybsled

If it was Pacific side Mexico, it’s always had bad rip tides. people don’t realize how fucking strong they can be

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
WTF? Do folks not teach kids how to deal with a Rip Tide anymore? Every kid here learns this before they are allowed in the ocean.

1 - Don't panic.

2 - Swim PARALLEL to the shore NOT back towards it til you are outside the Rip, they aren't usually very wide.

3 - Relax and catch a few waves to get back in to shore.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
WTF? Do folks not teach kids how to deal with a Rip Tide anymore? Every kid here learns this before they are allowed in the ocean.

1 - Don't panic.

2 - Swim PARALLEL to the shore NOT back towards it til you are outside the Rip, they aren't usually very wide.

3 - Relax and catch a few waves to get back in to shore.
No they don't learn anything. They get in the water and think the ocean is just like the kiddie pool in their backyard.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think people just teach "don't go near areas that where riptides and undertows are common"

There are certain geological formations that just create rough current thats hard to see until your in it so throw up some signs and warn people not to go there.

But I grew up in the Midwest and we tend to have a very different perspective on safety. Very much the play stupid games viewpoint, which, chuck, I think is why reporting on any kind of death doesn't do much in hurting any kind of tourism income.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think people just teach "don't go near areas that where riptides and undertows are common"

There are certain geological formations that just create rough current thats hard to see until your in it so throw up some signs and warn people not to go there.

But I grew up in the Midwest and we tend to have a very different perspective on safety. Very much the play stupid games viewpoint, which, chuck, I think is why reporting on any kind of death doesn't do much in hurting any kind of tourism income.
i dunno man. its kind of disturbing to watch or hear about a young kid drowning and when you get back home to at least expect to read about it. its not even mentioned up here. this state isnt big. you can cross the whole thing in 2 or 3 hours

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

There was signage and active involvement by police to keep people away from swimming in that area. The chief or whoever went into a long diatribe about it. People simply don't read the signs or think it can't possibly happen to them.