Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Raign

Golden Squire
Obviously FFXIV has telegraphs already. Two things I foresee with the system in a more WoW like game :

1. Balancing PvP/PvE is going to be even more of a pita than it already is. Good luck with that - both in terms of, firstly, getting the balance theoretically and implementing it and secondly dealing with the customer perception/vocal minority. Further, if they're going to implement any instant casts then they may as well kiss their ass goodnight before they even start trying to keep the complainers down. And if they aren't implementing instant casts then that's a big negative to a lot of people who play MMOs.

Having said all that I like the telegraph system. The salient point is that in MMOS everything comes at a cost.
Somewhat disagree here. The system, and difficulty are designed with telegraphs in mind. What breaks telegraphs is when that is not the case (e.g. Wow, which wasn't designed with them in mind, so when the mod community made telegraphs transparent, movement fights became trivial until the next expansion). So with that in mind the actual trade off for telegraphs is allowing modding (or severely handcuffing it at the very least).

I personally think modding is great -- in fact it has been the most missed aspect of WoW for me in all the iterations since. Providing telegraphs just avoids a repeat of DBM type exploitation of the system.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple difference I can think of between these telegraphs and most other games.

A) Every "skill" by a boss uses them, every single one. There is auto attack damage you can see in the videos but most of the damage comes from the ability use of a mob.

B) Seems like almost every player skill uses them(sure there are some that don't, you can see in that esper video that one heal is a targeted move + leaves a telegraph/ae on the caster and those spinning wheels had no telegraph). This is the major difference, showing the "area" for every player ability.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For me, its having played Tera a lot, where there were minimal telegraphs used for mob attacks. What made combat fun was learning the signs of an impending attack.
Yeah, TERA combat gameplay was balls deep fun, when some abilities ground stunlock your character just because it's so fun spamming cancel animation in 2013.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, TERA combat gameplay was balls deep fun, when some abilities ground stunlock your character just because it's so fun spamming cancel animation in 2013.
And what does that have to do with the amount of telegraphs used in WildStar? Though I agree with your dislike of animation locks, which WS avoids (mostly).

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Complaining about telegraphs in a game like Wildstar is like complaining why the sewage system smells like shit.

Troll bullshit
Thanks for being predictably dense and not even thinking things through. I expected no less than that considering you replied to me.

Anyways, it was just a basic idea which could be expanded and improved on...which you didn't even consider.

Yeah, I could have explained further and made points which would give insight into the meaning of each little detail, but I had hoped that giving a basic idea of what I was thinking could elicit some discussion about it and flesh it out further, perhaps expanding it beyond what I was considering.

But...troll away, and please...don't use your brain at all. You're good at that.

As for my talking privileges? Go fuck yourself.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And what does that have to do with the amount of telegraphs used in WildStar? Though I agree with your dislike of animation locks, which WS avoids (mostly).
I was drunk commenting on TERA gameplay in general and didn't even read your post. Please accept my apologies. Now, anyone saying TERA gameplay was good should have his eyes removed with a fork and skullfucked to death.

Fedor

<Banned>
medic and engineer renamed to surgeon and mechanic

EYqvbFs.jpg

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Spellslinger
So is it really dual wielding blasters? From that video it seemed like even though the characters were holding two guns, it was always of the same kind. Being able to dual wield to me is more of giving the choice of using two different weapons, not just have a graphical representation of two guns in one slot. So most likely loot will be labeled "blasters" not "blaster".

Anyone know of how the item slots work? Would be a shame if one handed guns suffered the same liability as a two hander. A warrior, having 1h and a shield, can look forwards to upgrading both the left and right hand slots. If dual blasters is really only one gun, but taking up both slots counting as dual wield, then you have one less upgrade slot. Stats can be upgraded to match the power upgrade of a 2h of course, but still a shame if you for instance can't use one gun with one elemental attack and one with another. Choice is good.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So is it really dual wielding blasters? From that video it seemed like even though the characters were holding two guns, it was always of the same kind. Being able to dual wield to me is more of giving the choice of using two different weapons, not just have a graphical representation of two guns in one slot. So most likely loot will be labeled "blasters" not "blaster".

Anyone know of how the item slots work? Would be a shame if one handed guns suffered the same liability as a two hander. A warrior, having 1h and a shield, can look forwards to upgrading both the left and right hand slots. If dual blasters is really only one gun, but taking up both slots counting as dual wield, then you have one less upgrade slot. Stats can be upgraded to match the power upgrade of a 2h of course, but still a shame if you for instance can't use one gun with one elemental attack and one with another. Choice is good.
I don't know specifics, but my GUESS is each class only has 1 weapon slot and all classes are confirmed to get shields as a separate slot.

bayr_sl

shitlord
No, you just equip one item into a slot. The beauty of single weapon classes, for me it's hard to even believe they are weapons in a system like that

Xevy

Log Wizard
Probably already mentioned, but maybe not:

How would people feel about telegraphs for NPC's in PVE if during raids they had telegraphs, BUT they were randomly shaped? Boom! Difficulty and that RNG element people love to bitch about/nostalgify on.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Probably already mentioned, but maybe not:

How would people feel about telegraphs for NPC's in PVE if during raids they had telegraphs, BUT they were randomly shaped? Boom! Difficulty and that RNG element people love to bitch about/nostalgify on.
Fuck that shit, just give me Heigan as every boss, where bads can be carried.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So has anyone here who may or may not be in beta* created a guild?

* - NDAs are gay. Hard gay.