Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm a little confused how anyone can read what Mist wrote and think that he was offering to give out keys.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a little confused how anyone can read what Mist wrote and think that he was offering to give out keys.
I originally thought the same thing... but since everyone else was doing it I thought I must be misreading it haha.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Give me a great level 50 experience with meaningful content and I don't give a shit about the leveling experience --- it feels that every MMO in the last decade has been trying to make 'the leveling experience' fun and it's always felt dull/boring. At least they've admitted it and have been focusing their resources on hopefully making an end game that can give me something to do for more than a week.
The problem is that leveling is what you will be doing first. If it sucks most people will quit before they hit max level. You could definitely avoid this by not having levels in a game, but that would require the "end game" to be fun for everyone. If its just your average raid grind I don't see much potential. I would also argue that what made WoW so successful is that it had a great leveling experience that hooked people early and kept them coming back for more. Some more recent game have sold a lot of boxes, but I doubt most players in those games even bothered to get a single character to max level.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would also argue that what made WoW so successful is that it had a great leveling experience that hooked people early and kept them coming back for more. .
Hmm not sure I can agree with this. I think just at the time everyone was just used to daoc/eq/ao type leveling where you just grinded mobs all day. So it was something different. Other then that it wasn't great. It wasn't until the later expansions when they started doing quest that had more depth and that were a lot more fun, plus phasing. It was also helped by a established IP where people recognized locations and persons.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I would also argue that what made WoW so successful is that it had a great leveling experience that hooked people early and kept them coming back for more.
Things that made WoW successful in order of impact:

1. IP
2. Accessibility
3. Coding (server stability + ease of use)
4. IP
5. IP
6. IP
7. IP
8. Did I mention the IP?
9. IP
10. Questing

Questing sucked in Vanilla through Cataclysm. I've only recently found the "story" worth paying attention to. They've definitely made major improvements in this department with MoP. For the first time in my WoW experience, questing seemed almost enjoyable.

The second time around, the story already feels played out though, so the shiney doesn't last.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Things that made WoW successful in order of impact:

1. IP
2. Accessibility
3. Coding (server stability + ease of use)
4. IP
5. IP
6. IP
7. IP
8. Did I mention the IP?
9. IP
10. Questing

Questing sucked in Vanilla through Cataclysm. I've only recently found the "story" worth paying attention to. They've definitely made major improvements in this department with MoP. For the first time in my WoW experience, questing seemed almost enjoyable.

The second time around, the story already feels played out though, so the shiney doesn't last.
I would bet that more than 2/3 of the WoW population have never played the previous Warcraft games.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hope you didn't imply that WoW had server stability in the beginning. Because you aren't supposed to forget that shit, or the WotLK Valentine's day debacle, or EQ's Luclin launch...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would bet that more than 2/3 of the WoW population have never played the previous Warcraft games.
In the beginning I'd say it was pretty large portion + people who played MMOs but as it grew that portion decreased dramatically but in turn those new people were popping their MMO cherries so it was all "new" to them. Still stands though , imo, vanilla + TBC questing was not "Great" it was pretty boring and just used to get to max but it was better then the previous way of progression via grinding the same mobs for hours at a time.

And yes server stability should never be used as a reason it succeeded so much in the early years or things like "Loot Bug" for months.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
~Everybody was loot bug kneeling~
~Those guys were greased and sliding~
~In fact it was a little bit frightening~
~But they desynced with horrible timing~

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
In part WoW's success was they shook up the formula. Kind of like what GW2 did (leveling wise) although they are different birds.

Quests weren't all that great but they were different and at the time better for most players. Now that we've seen the same shit regurgitated for what feels like forever people are getting burned out. GW2 shook things up some with its leveling system and that might be the new FOTM for a bit once people catch on and the 5 year development cycle catches up.

Sure some hard core Warcraft fans came to play but I'd argue most were casual fans and its success was hardly a result of that.

Biggest complaint of games released since is they don't get combat right like WoW did. I'd start there for why people played. Classes, while small in number, were pretty powerful and well done. The game world, well done.

Lots of reasons.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Ding 1k

Wild Star wouldn't be a bad game if their questing wasn't awful and the combat (class mechanics / abilities / feel) where boring as fuck. There is certainly potential I just couldn't give a shit long enough to find any of it because its BORING.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ding 1k

Wild Star wouldn't be a bad game if their questing wasn't awful and the combat (class mechanics / abilities / feel) where boring as fuck. There is certainly potential I just couldn't give a shit long enough to find any of it because its BORING.
To each their own I guess, I find it fun. Room for improvement sure, but every game is like that. I find it a lot better then gw2 combat wise(though I wouldn't mind combos) and really no different then running from heart to heart and PQ to PQ when it comes to progression. Only the pure action fps control style MMOs do I find better when it comes to combat, but I guess you can't have everything.

Given your post history in this thread from the very beginning, not shocked about your opinion.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I hope you didn't imply that WoW had server stability in the beginning. Because you aren't supposed to forget that shit, or the WotLK Valentine's day debacle, or EQ's Luclin launch...
Sure. However, if you compare it to the piles of festering release day failure that had occurred prior to it's release, it was incredibly polished.

I was speaking more in broad strokes, not specifically enough to indicate that WoW was successful because of server stability on 11/24/04. More like, WoW was incredibly polishedcomparatively speaking. Shall we use Vanguard as a case study?

Column_sl

shitlord
Wow was successful because those artists, and engineers were phenomenal.

IP always helps, but if your game stinks we all know what happens ( cough Star Wars cough)
I don't think anyone would disagree that Blizzard is succesful because they make a fucking polished product.

In todays MMO, you need a pretty damn good set of artists, and animators. I don't give a shit what anyone says, but if your game looks butt ugly ,but has good game mechanics its still just as bad as having bad mechanics, and beautiful graphics ( see Realm Reborn)

The jackasses that say graphics don't matter are full of shit imho.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Wow was successful because those artists, and engineers were phenomenal.
Yeah, I should've elaborated.

WoW was owned by Blizzard, which is totally different from the Star Wars IP, which had only licensees.

The art and engineering comes hand-and-hand with any Blizzard IP.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I hate to agree with Column on any MMO topics but he's correct here. WoW was extremely well done when it was released and 'fixed' EQ. People enjoyed the responsiveness on the controls and got used to the graphics. The world was cohesive, and the gameplay was pretty fun. Having a fun game that always worked was fairly unique.

Edit- compared to other MMOs it worked great.