World of Warcraft: Current Year

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I did Freehold last night as a tank. Every once in a while I would get knocked up in the air and a mob would drop agro down to 60% or something. That's going to be annoying at higher keys.

They fixed that this patch. It completely wiped aggro before, was a bug. You won't lose any now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I was fortunate to finish all the mythical last night with a guild group and I do agree that the people running them right now are not going to be your average player. With that said having to PUG some of these could suck.

The orb in temple can bug out and go up on a cliff side you can’t reach bricking your run and also they can sometimes just randomly despawn or spawn inside terrain. Apparently all reported in the beta, still not fixed.

My SO was having a hell of a time on sisters in manor as a H pal in her mythic group. I think it’s a combo of lowish dps and not helping with trying to interrupt most of the casts. The magic damage is real for that fight and really is the harder ones to heal in manor.

Boggles the mind, that at these early gear #'s you have retarded derps who cast not a single interrupt in an entire mythic dungeon. Tanking on my paladin, it was almost enough to make me /afk out of the fucking dungeon.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I've been tanking heroics as a prot warrior and it's pretty fucking annoying. I haven't been a prot warrior since Cata, but now I have like 2x as many abilities. Only like 7 in rotation, but then like 9 situational ones that are fucking annoying. Also fuck any sort of ranged mob, ESPECIALLY the kind that can't be interrupted. I don't think I actually take any damage from anything other than uninterrupted skills and me standing in "don't-stand-in-that" shit. All the prot guides, FOR BFA, I read were for single target aggro (Why?) which is retarded as it's just like back in my day where you just AE spam shit until it's nice and angry then roll through defensive rotation.

Heroic DPS on single targets for PUGS varies from most classes doing 5k-7k, some DH's and shit doing like 10-11k, but mostly PUGS doing like 30% more DPS single target than me as protection. Oh and none of them interrupt, ever. Last MMO I played was Wildstar and I wish even the drooling silver dungeon carries from that game were in these WoW Pugs because at least they knew how to use interrupts, especially without a fucking limited action bar.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been tanking heroics as a prot warrior and it's pretty fucking annoying. I haven't been a prot warrior since Cata, but now I have like 2x as many abilities. Only like 7 in rotation, but then like 9 situational ones that are fucking annoying. Also fuck any sort of ranged mob, ESPECIALLY the kind that can't be interrupted. I don't think I actually take any damage from anything other than uninterrupted skills and me standing in "don't-stand-in-that" shit. All the prot guides, FOR BFA, I read were for single target aggro (Why?) which is retarded as it's just like back in my day where you just AE spam shit until it's nice and angry then roll through defensive rotation.

]Heroic DPS on single targets for PUGS varies from most classes doing 5k-7k, some DH's and shit doing like 10-11k, but mostly PUGS doing like 30% more DPS single target than me as protection. Oh and none of them interrupt, ever. Last MMO I played was Wildstar and I wish even the drooling silver dungeon carries from that game were in these WoW Pugs because at least they knew how to use interrupts, especially without a fucking limited action bar.
A part of me wishes that Wildstar had done well, but holy shit did it make my hands literally twitch after leveling a Medic to max when it first released. I kid you not, my left hand pinky would involuntary spasm.

On the subject of DPS, I have nfc what I'm doing wrong, but even the SimCraft stuff says I'm not too far behind target for DPS. What I don't understand is how I'm sim'ing at roughly 6-7k for Affliction yet I see Affliction Warlocks in comparable gear (i320ish) doing over 8k? I feel like I'm missing something but I just can't see it. EDIT - To clarify on sim'ing, I'm setting it for completely unbuffed; just gear, Azerite traits, 1 boss Patchwerk style and that's it.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I didn't realize the Darkmoon decks were so simple. I was auctioning WTB Blockades for 55k for a while, and when nobody offered it I just looked up the cards, and realized I could make them for 22k each. Bought all the cards and made several and proceeded to sell them for 62k. WTF? Is that how these decks make people money? Ignorance of how they are made?

Yes people are this lazy and/or stupid. I have made about 500k since Sunday fucking around with only the Darkmoon Blockade cards spending about 1-2 hours back and forth on the AH. Seriously if I had the time I would be fucking cleaning up on the BfA launch right now shit can be flipped left and right. I bought tons of single cards between 1-4k and flipped them up to 20-30k a card. I have sold a few decks and I still have like 6 decks left.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I feel like this is the only time I have played this game and felt weaker and shittier every time I leveled. I am sure once you gear up at max level it will be like legion but holy shit does it feel like a slog from 116+

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
r/wow - Unequipping Heart of Azeroth and trinkets lowers your TTK on open-world mobs in BFA.

tl;dr Unequipping gear will make you more powerful in WQ, rares, and other open-world BFA content.

Blizzard has mobs scaling in power to match your bagged iLvL when in open-world BFA content. So, by unequipping high iLvL trinkets, rings, and your Heart of Azeroth, you can reduce your iLvL significantly while keeping your DPS relatively less impacted. The result of this is a lower TTK (faster kill time) on most mobs...

Bungie/Destiny uses the same mob scaling in their games, and of course one of the biggest complaints about progression in that game is that there's no feeling of becoming more powerful. You are always either under-geared, or just good enough. Having full raid gear in Destiny means you're just as viable as someone who just hit max level. Now that same mechanic is in BFA (was in Legion too), but is implemented in a far worse way.

This is poor game design. There is no feeling of power progression, just a grind with for a number that no longer has meaning. Equipping more powerful gear should always result in an increased feeling of power. This is a core concept of an RPG, and Blizzard has intentionally undermined it.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm getting hate PMs for "exposing the exploit". If this is what it takes get this stupid scaling mechanic removed, then so be it.

Edit2: You have to bank or sell your gear for mobs to scale back down. Bagging your gear will not affect iLvL scaling. (thanks /u/lovemaker69 )

Edit3: Blizzard's defense on this topic from Legion:

And even for the Mythic-geared bringer of death and destruction, when everything dies nearly instantly, you spend more time looting corpses than you do making them. You spend an order of magnitude longer traveling to a quest location than you do killing the quest target. You stop using your core class abilities and instead focus on spamming instants to tap mobs as quickly as possible before they die
So this is all because Blizzard felt top-tier players were too powerful for open-world content... It just seems like a very trivial thing to make such a substantial change for. Instead of destroying the sense of character progression, add tougher open-world quests and mobs that remain challenging even for top-tier players.

And this isn't getting fixed any time soon, it was addressed in March of 2017 by Blizzard rep "Watcher":

Yes, this reflects a deliberate change, but it's also not working exactly as we intended. The scaling may be too steep, and the fact that unequipping a piece of gear can ever be helpful is a bug in the system. We'll be looking into making changes to correct this in the very near future.
That fix that came in the near future? It was to monitor your bag iLvL for mob scaling, instead of equipped iLvL. To re-iterate, instead of addressing the problem that unequipping gear made you more powerful, they simply made it more difficult to abuse the system. You can still become more powerful by taking your rings off, it just takes a few extra steps now.

It's stupid this is even a thing. I do feel mobs are hitting a little to hard in the open world. They seem to rip through my mage shield in two-seconds which is annoying.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Thank you guys for the Elvui suggestion, I have weak aura's installed as well. My wife is playing a disc priest and she want to be able to track and apply atonement buff to me the tank in an easier fashion than having to target me. I'm reading up on mouseover macro's but is there a way to set it up so she can see the buffs on me or gets a timer countdown on the atonement on me without having to target me?

Appreciate the help, still so new a lot of the stuff out there seems overwhelming to a lvl 30

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thank you guys for the Elvui suggestion, I have weak aura's installed as well. My wife is playing a disc priest and she want to be able to track and apply atonement buff to me the tank in an easier fashion than having to target me. I'm reading up on mouseover macro's but is there a way to set it up so she can see the buffs on me or gets a timer countdown on the atonement on me without having to target me?

Appreciate the help, still so new a lot of the stuff out there seems overwhelming to a lvl 30
She can target you and type /focus

myxio

Molten Core Raider
On the subject of DPS, I have nfc what I'm doing wrong, but even the SimCraft stuff says I'm not too far behind target for DPS. What I don't understand is how I'm sim'ing at roughly 6-7k for Affliction yet I see Affliction Warlocks in comparable gear (i320ish) doing over 8k? I feel like I'm missing something but I just can't see it. EDIT - To clarify on sim'ing, I'm setting it for completely unbuffed; just gear, Azerite traits, 1 boss Patchwerk style and that's it.

If you are getting close to your sims then it's probably not anything worth worrying about. The biggest factor in all these sub 2 min dungeon boss fights will probably be if you managed to pool 5 shards before the pull or not.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They really want to see how many people they can get to quit it seems.

Getting to max level and seeing 90 different world quests available that refresh daily including such winners as "match game" as well as TWO copies of "protect baby turtles by trying to gauge arcs in a tight first person" combined with the knowledge that the entire rest of the story AND the rest of the game is behind them is a lot to swallow. Showing up at the end of Legion completely tainted my view of what World of Warcraft was actually like.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you are getting close to your sims then it's probably not anything worth worrying about. The biggest factor in all these sub 2 min dungeon boss fights will probably be if you managed to pool 5 shards before the pull or not.
Yeah, I've been forced to admit to myself I really was clueless on how things worked and optimal button pushing and conditions. Four years as a healer in FF14 have really changed how I look at things.

My major issue is all this talk of MUST BE 7K+ IN MYTHIC-0 really. I've been trying to breach that point but I just can't make it there. SimCraft is saying my target number for a Patchwerk fight is ~6020 for my current gear and talents with no buffs/food/pots, and I can get close to that mark (~5.6k give or take*; I make mistakes with button pushes from time to time), but when people are saying it needs to be 1k higher for Mythic and I'm sitting here at i324 shaking my head going wtfm8... a little anxiety. To be fair, this is Demonology. I haven't run the numbers for Destruction at all. ;p

* Lady Waycrest's Music Box is really messing with things, because the trinket will proc on nearby enemies you aren't even in combat with, so pets are going all over the place.

Random aside but I am really feeling the grind for leveling the Heart of Azeroth after reaching 17 with it.

Last edited:

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Depends a lot on the specific fights. I hit 12k on the Patchwerk like dude today at Waycrest Manor today because there was no movement or target switching. If I can get another Streaking Stars trait on chest I might be able to pop 14-15k - it's insane for short fights and I don't think the sims adjust rotation to take advantage of it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I believe we will see the same kinds of catchup AP mechanics we did in legion. Either they tweak the amount needed per level or we get billions and billions per stone at some point.
Not sure if official, but I had heard the costs will drop 10% per week.

A year from launch then we'll be at 0.9 to the 51st power, or levels will take 0.5% of what they do now... and that doesn't seem like enough of a discount.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
r/wow - Unequipping Heart of Azeroth and trinkets lowers your TTK on open-world mobs in BFA.

It's stupid this is even a thing. I do feel mobs are hitting a little to hard in the open world. They seem to rip through my mage shield in two-seconds which is annoying.

I've just tried it and it doesn't work : with full gear I'm at 336ilvl, with both rings stored in bank I'm still at 336 on the character sheet. Also with or without rings the mobs health stay the same (49870hp for a north Tiragarde fox) and damage is obviously way higher with rings equipped.

Dalien

Registered Hodor

Apparently people are equipping shit like Arcanite Reaper right now and tearing through mobs.

I've just tried it and it doesn't work : with full gear I'm at 336ilvl, with both rings stored in bank I'm still at 336 on the character sheet. Also with or without rings the mobs health stay the same (49870hp for a north Tiragarde fox) and damage is obviously way higher with rings equipped.

It doesn't work if you use the bank. You need to put them in void storage, or vendor them and buy them back later.

edit: I just threw my rings and trinkets in void storage, and mobs HP didn't change at all. Maybe my gear sucks too much for them to scale in the first place (300ish).

Last edited: