World of Warcraft: Current Year

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Why because one player made a couple good points (that I disagree with but I'm not going to discuss again as it's been discussed before) and everyone else was like 'story and transmogs'?

Why don't you go ahead and abandon your guild again? Shatter the forum dreams of these folks one last time?

I didn't raid with foh other than to cross server into their heroic runs a few times. Thinking the hate for BFA here stems from some busted up forum guild is pretty funny. Biggest bad change in BFA for me? No gear swapping in m+. This made it so the only point to raiding was to collect +gooder. In Legion I could collect tank trinkets when the tanks were done, or one of the raids had a healing trinket that was pretty useful. Lower ilvl avoidance and set pieces were an option and situational. Sure, none of this matters if all you do is your weekly 10 or 15 or whatever it is now, but not everyone chooses to play at the most basic level. I quit 2 months into BFA, you equipped your best average +gooder items and you were done. Complexity and options are a good and fun thing, but I wouldn't expect you to understand since you also think d3 is a better game than path of exile.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think swapping items made the game more complex, it just meant collecting more shit. Just another achievement or transmog to tick off the box. Well designed Skinner box.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Why don't you go ahead and abandon your guild again? Shatter the forum dreams of these folks one last time?

Y'know, Noodle fucked me over more than he did anyone else, and I'm not even slightly annoyed at him anymore. Why are you all over his nuts? Just curious.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think swapping items made the game more complex, it just meant collecting more shit.
This is just another step in the casualization of the game. Casuals didn't want to a) farm specific items and b) be reminded to swap/use gear. Like resist gear, specific unlocks (UBRS key, ZF hammer, MC water etc.), or buffs. Over time this was more and more tuned down or outright removed, and now nothing is left but boring +itemlevel. This is in stark contrast to equipment management being a staple of RPGs since ... basically forever.

That you don't understand it just shows that you are on the "it was tedious" side, while for us it was something to think and discuss about amongst peers. Which made interesting social interactions and links. And social interactions/links are what defines the MMO genre, or else why play with other people and not just play a singleplayer game.

This is what current management doesn't want, because they want to curate the online experience. All the while trying to sell WoW as a form of e-sport with Arena and MDI.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Swapping items allowed you to play how you desired to play. It had player freedom which can go a long way. All they keep doing is taking and taking and never replacing it with anything. Restricting things for the sake of blizzard doesn't like how you're playing.

Can't let you swap gear. Can't let you use master loot. Can't let you target the gear you want. Can't have pvp vendors because you might not be able to find them.

But I guess that's probably another conversation to be had.

• 1Truth!

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't understand it cause the way it was working was perfectly fine. You could only use master loot if it was 90% a guild group.. if you had too many pugs it was personal loot. Seems fine to me?

The only argument I've ever seen against it is trials not getting loot but honestly literally nobody has complained about that in the 14 years prior to that happening because they understand they're trials and they won't be getting BIS trinkets and weapons over a main raider that the guild knows is going to be around longer than 3 weeks.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't understand it cause the way it was working was perfectly fine. You could only use master loot if it was 90% a guild group.. if you had too many pugs it was personal loot. Seems fine to me?

The only argument I've ever seen against it is trials not getting loot but honestly literally nobody has complained about that in the 14 years prior to that happening because they understand they're trials and they won't be getting BIS trinkets and weapons over a main raider that the guild knows is going to be around longer than 3 weeks.

It was aimed at handcuffing the Methods and Limits of the world and was to prevent split raids. Another well thought out, masterfully executed plan by Ion and co.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It was aimed at handcuffing the Methods and Limits of the world and was to prevent split raids. Another well thought out, masterfully executed plan by Ion and co.

I wonder if they'll try to address that again with the new expansion. This expansion saw an entire guild race changing for an advantage, hopping sides to do a weekly quest one extra time before hopping back, server hopping to buy enough mats to level several tradeskills to better enable profitable splits and lots and lots and lots of split raids. Doing extra splits for each armor type is just standard operating procedure at that level.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I wonder if they'll try to address that again with the new expansion. This expansion saw an entire guild race changing for an advantage, hopping sides to do a weekly quest one extra time before hopping back, server hopping to buy enough mats to level several tradeskills to better enable profitable splits and lots and lots and lots of split raids. Doing extra splits for each armor type is just standard operating procedure at that level.

Hell with the way the game is now almost any of the top guilds can get 20 fans of the same class to do LFR, Normal, and Heroic and just throw the loot at Method/Limit/Etc. - In the end all it did was buttfuck casual guilds. Uber guilds are expected to trade it as if it was masterloot anyways.

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather

Yeah and not only did they cuck them into having to have even more alts making the change worthless, but ruined it for literally everybody else too. I can't think of a single even casual mythic guild that doesn't enforce loot trading which feels significantly worse than just losing a roll.

They did explicitly say during the Q&A about it before BFA that they are doing it to stop split raids when all they did is create more split raids lmao

It's such a weeeeeeeeeird change

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I know it's a small thing but I'd really rather pay 49.95 for the base game and get my boost than this 40/60/80 thing they've got going. At 40 bucks there's no boost and I like the boost so if I want one it's 60 but 80 comes with a free month so it's reaaaaaaaaaally more like 65 or so. They fiddled with the numbers just enough to try and push me in to buying the fancier edition when I've never bought the fancier edition ever for any game.

• 1Barf

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Y'know, Noodle fucked me over more than he did anyone else, and I'm not even slightly annoyed at him anymore. Why are you all over his nuts? Just curious.
Because he was a dick to me so I was being a dick back. I give zero shits that he realized he wasn't going to accomplish his goal where he was at so he moved on.

Neranja Neranja - I've always farmed whatever I needed. Needing more things does not make the game more complex.

Xaven

Molten Core Raider
God this game... I ended up doing some "spring cleaning" this morning before work. I deleted all my old alts from all servers. All I have left is my main (since Vanilla) and a bank alt. Part of me almost wants to delete those too and just be done with WoW but I'm torn. Firstly, I'm just a week's grinding away from getting Flying, and secondly... well, when you've played the same character for all expansions since Vanilla, you do get a bit attached. But on the flip side, being a hunter, what originally "made" it for me back in the day is no longer in the game. When I first played a hunter back about 4 months before BC I was blown away by how amazing hunters were. The pet was more than just a stat stick to me, I loved the pet management aspect, and have used the same pet since level 11, The Rake from Mulgore (as a NE, the epic journey from Elwyn Forrest where I leveled up to Mulgore earned me an entire level from 10). After countless expansions they've gutted the pet mechanic so much he's at best a stat stick, and at worst, possibly even a hindrance. I play BM just for stubbornness if anything, though I would probably do better being a petless MM hunter. But I just can't do it.

So this morning I came to the realisation that I pretty much have three options now:
1. Continue playing WoW, play my hunter and just keep going.
2. Delete my hunter and find a new class to try. It would probably be a Shaman, as I did level one healing dungeons way back when. I loved it until they changed totem mechanics, but I still think it's the most fun healing class.
3. Delete my bank alt and hunter and just quit playing WoW for good.

If I do do one of the first two, it would be mostly doing shit like old dungeons for gear collecting, pet battles and archeaology with the odd heroic or even M+. I just can't be arsed with raiding any more. But that comes into what some mentioned above, that WoW is basically a glorified Trading Card Game.

Was in a similar boat as you. Created my rogue on November 23rd, 2004 and been playing him since. BFA is so bad that I needed a change and other suggested I try out Demon Hunter. They are completely broken and are really fun to play. But don't delete your hunter as you will need a lvl 70 character to start a DH.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
I don't think swapping items made the game more complex, it just meant collecting more shit. Just another achievement or transmog to tick off the box. Well designed Skinner box.

May as well say every fight is just patchwerk, after all you're just pressing a key at any given moment, just not your 1 attack button. Just as complex. That's exactly what you sound like.

• 1Like