You know you're getting old when.....

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I will trump you with my Commodore 128 (whopping 128k memory and of course the 5 1/4" floppy) while all my friends had the Commodore 64 or the Coleco Adam :)

Just look at this rich kid rubbing it in :-(
My cousin had a C64 so when I wanted to play the cool games I had to visit him.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
no different than you crowing over your 486 lol, I recall having a twinge of jealousy for the elite group that had 486's and their math co-processors...I had to assume this superior processing power was to compensate for the meager offerings they were born with :)

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
yeah it must have been 1992 when i spent a hard earned 2k german mark on that 486sx25 and i don't know how long later when i put the dx4/100 in :p

anyway ykygow you're at mom's nursing home-to-be and two white haired ladies comment to each other how you're such a fine young man and a real cute guy, and you turn around and wink at them.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Fuckin' kids. Ever play Zork on a TRS-80 Mod 3? My first computer, a Model 1, loaded from a cassette and Zork only came on a 5 1/4" floppy. Not even my stringy-floppy would work. I had to upgrade.

Rime

<Donor>
The ONLY good thing about my body is my teeth and gums. Haven't been to the dentist in ten years and not even a hint of a cavity or weird inflamed gum/puss thing that my buddies talk about.

I'm good for another 20 years if my teeth keep up.

Apparently, any broad-treatment antibiotic can cause it. Look it up if you are going to be on antibiotics and do what you can to help mitigate the chances. This is the worst thing I have ever experienced and I would not wish it on anyone.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was in my early 20s when I created my FoH account back in 2003. I can remember when MMORPGs were 90% chatting and 10% game, when a characters name actually meant something. /nostalgia

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Fuckin' kids. Ever play Zork on a TRS-80 Mod 3? My first computer, a Model 1, loaded from a cassette and Zork only came on a 5 1/4" floppy. Not even my stringy-floppy would work. I had to upgrade.
Yeah, fucking kids!

I played Joust and Pole Position, among other games, on my (dad's) Atari 800, that took TEN FUCKING MINUTES to load from a cassette tape. It literally made similar sounds to the modem I'd later get, except for ten fucking minutes. As far as I know, there wasn't even any way to turn it down.

I tell you, there is nothing more exciting than wanting to play your super awesome game after school with your buddy that you bragged about it to, and then waiting ten fucking minutes. And I'd say a good 1 out of 5 times it would fuck up (but you wouldn't know until it finished) and you'd have to start over again!

EDIT: I also used to get Computer Gaming World, which I believe was the one that actually had the code for a game in some issues. Except it was all just hexadecimal, so you literally had to type in AC12F EE754 etc. for hundreds, sometimes thousands of lines. And when you inevitably made a typo, you had to go through the whole fucking thing to figure out where you made it. My best friend and I used to take turns reading it out loud and typing it. That's where I played a version of Scorched Earth for the first time, I believe. You know, the tank lobbing game.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Scorched Earth was the old Mac game Cannon Fodder on steroids. Remember it fondly. Predecessor to Worms.

• 2Solidarity

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>

You have hereby earned the geriatric emoji
older-man_1f474.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
You have hereby earned the geriatric emoji
older-man_1f474.png

And then, because I needed to bring my work home (the Model 3s I had did estimating and the books for my business) I bought a TRS-80 4p, the p was for portable. It was actually about the size of a piece of carry on luggage, but it was portable.

About that time, IBM introduced the PC but I bought a Tandy 2000 instead. It ran Flight Simulator in color. Green. And then an Amiga 1000. My first PC was a custom build 286. I bought a copy of Windows for it and the rest is history.

IMG_1103 8x6.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
my first "video game"...
800px-Coleco_Electronic_Quarterback.jpg

Just came across it and it still works!

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I remember needing a cpu throttle application on our 12.whatever mhz processor to run some of the games that were out that were programmed with Hz frequencies.... My first home PC experience was with a monochrome screen, Prodigy dialup on a 4800baud modem. My uncle was a bit of a tech savant, and always handed down his tech. 286, 386, 486, 486DX2 33 and 66, DX4 100, 120, 5x86 133, then actual Pentium 150 and 166. 2X CD-ROM, old school LucasArts. Remember him running a peltier cooler to oc his 120 to 150 in the hopes it would make him better when playing Doom 2 over DWANGO. US Robotics 56k.... Once I recall installing the voice chip and ram onto an AWE32 sound card and playing with the text to voice shit that had only been available to fighter jet pilots.

These days shit is so easy, and so exceptionally complicated in different ways. Advancing literally faster than a normal person can absorb and utilize.... Wait, is that just me? At least I can still program a VCR.

• 1Blown
  • 1Like

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Today I feel old because I'm not enjoying PoE2: Deadfire as much as (apparently) every other person in existence. To me, the combat is muddled, the story is fairly boring, and none of the characters are remotely as interesting as the ones I remember from the BG games. The ship mini-game is cancer and the abilities are confusing as fuck. And this game is getting 10/10 and Perfect Game 100 4/4 Stars! Huh? Its okay - like an 8 maybe.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Today I feel old because I'm not enjoying PoE2: Deadfire as much as (apparently) every other person in existence. To me, the combat is muddled, the story is fairly boring, and none of the characters are remotely as interesting as the ones I remember from the BG games. The ship mini-game is cancer and the abilities are confusing as fuck. And this game is getting 10/10 and Perfect Game 100 4/4 Stars! Huh? Its okay - like an 8 maybe.

To be fair, the BG interface was also AIDS, but the characters and deep stories made those games. But then when I was 16 I had a lot more time and way less games, so spending 200 hours on BG more than once was easy.

Speaking of getting old....ugh. Zero tolerance for games with shit interfaces and controls.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I will trump you with my Commodore 128 (whopping 128k memory and of course the 5 1/4" floppy) while all my friends had the Commodore 64 or the Coleco Adam :)

View attachment 165946
MY first computer was a Commodore VIC-20 with 3.5k of RAM. My poor parents had to upgrade me nearly every year for Christmas -- went from the VIC-20 to a C64, then C128, then Atari 520ST, then Amiga 500. I think it was '90 or '91 that my dad bought me a Packard Bell 386SX-20. After that I started building my own.

By the way, this is an interesting video on Commodore / C64 history:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user