2021 NFL Offseason: QB Carousel Imminent -- Retirement Boogaloo

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I tried telling yall Fields was going to drop lol.

Simms must be going all in on the seizure report. Fuck off with mac Jones to the 49ers though. Lynch basically came out and said he wants Lance. There are also reports saying that Shanahan wants Jones and they are in a disagreement. Lynch said Kyle has final say but then also stated that his input is considered when making that final decision.....so.....who knows.

At least Lynch can say that he never wanted Jones and wanted Lance, after he is fired 3 years from now when Jones is a back up and Lance is in Disney World after winning a title for Washington Football Team.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I tried telling yall Fields was going to drop lol.

Simms must be going all in on the seizure report. Fuck off with mac Jones to the 49ers though. Lynch basically came out and said he wants Lance. There are also reports saying that Shanahan wants Jones and they are in a disagreement. Lynch said Kyle has final say but then also stated that his input is considered when making that final decision.....so.....who knows.

At least Lynch can say that he never wanted Jones and wanted Lance, after he is fired 3 years from now when Jones is a back up and Lance is in Disney World after winning a title for Washington Football Team.
WFT confirmed picking in top 5 for next decade. Thanks man!!!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Found this interesting

Yeah a lot of times teams get it wrong with WR's. That 2014 Draft was sick, but there are lot lately that aren't nearly as good (at least as far as who got picked first).

2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwill all go in the 1st, before Michael Thomas and Tyler Boyd.
2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross in the 1st, before Juju, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay
2018: DJ Moore goes before Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton
2019: Hollywood Brown, N'keal Harry before Deebo Samual, AJ Brown...then Mecole Hardman, JJ Arcega Whiteside, Parris Campbell, Andy Isabella before DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Terry McLaurin
2020: Henry Ruggs before Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb...Jalen Raegor before Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I consume a lot of NFL content, and I read a ton, especially the 49ers. When the 49ers moved up to 3rd and everyone was talking about Mac Jones, I automatically dismissed it. I consider Shanahan an extremely smart coach, especially on the offensive side of the bal. And it was impossible for me to come to grips with him thinking that Mac Jones, the far and away least athletic of the 5 top QBs, was the answer at QB for them. The same coach who has to see Wilson twice a year, Murray, and then got beat in the Super Bowl by Mahommes, somehow believes that Jones is the answer. I just refused to believe it.

But after that press conference yesterday, it just feels like he really is going that way. If they do in fact take Jones 3rd, it is going to show some serious arrogance from Shanahan in my opinion. It will be him saying "I know my system and if you can just give me a QB who can function within it, we can win". I don't know what about the press conference yesterday pushed me that way, it's just his defensiveness in some of the answers I guess. I continue to hold out hope that it isn't Jones, even though I honestly think Jones will do just fine in Shanahan's system. It is really all about the potential of Lance and Fields, and how much they paid to move up to it that would bum me out.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there for no real reason as we all look forward to Thursday.

It’s interesting to read comments like this and takes me back to 2018 draft for the bills. So many fans wanted Rosen over Allen. “Wrong josh” threads were everywhere in Bills land.

have some faith in the skills of your coach and GM who eat sleep and breath draft info for months. They have more Info then the public. Have faith in the process and don’t let disappointment cloud the fun of the draft night.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Yeah a lot of times teams get it wrong with WR's. That 2014 Draft was sick, but there are lot lately that aren't nearly as good (at least as far as who got picked first).

2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwill all go in the 1st, before Michael Thomas and Tyler Boyd.
2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross in the 1st, before Juju, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay
2018: DJ Moore goes before Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton
2019: Hollywood Brown, N'keal Harry before Deebo Samual, AJ Brown...then Mecole Hardman, JJ Arcega Whiteside, Parris Campbell, Andy Isabella before DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Terry McLaurin
2020: Henry Ruggs before Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb...Jalen Raegor before Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins.

Bills needed a WR last year. The trade for Diggs clearly worked out 💪. HOWEVER the draft pick given for diggs was used on Justin Jefferson... makes you think a bit.

2014 WR group hurts me. We moved up and spent a ton of Capital to get Sammy Watkins at 9....just never clicked with him in Buff..wonder how he would do with Allen. Kinda wish the bills picked him up in FA this year to satisfy the “what if..” bug

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
If Pitts and Chase are both off the board and Miami goes with Smith or Waddle at 6, I'd probably not feel super great about that. still hoping that someone trades into 4 for a QB or someone takes Sewell ahead of miami so they can get Pitts or Chase, or take Sewell themselves and move one of their tackles inside. But who the fuck knows.
Watch waddle be the best WR from this class a year from now.

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Chase is the best WR to come out at least the last handful of year. He is a complete beast. I think Waddle ends up better than Smith. Smith has serious bust potential at his size, especially if lands with an incompetent offensive staff.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It’s interesting to read comments like this and takes me back to 2018 draft for the bills. So many fans wanted Rosen over Allen. “Wrong josh” threads were everywhere in Bills land.

have some faith in the skills of your coach and GM who eat sleep and breath draft info for months. They have more Info then the public. Have faith in the process and don’t let disappointment cloud the fun of the draft night.
I'm obviously not a professional NFL scout, and in the end I will trust Shanahan knows more than me. However, your comparison is the exact opposite of what I am looking at. Josh Rosen was the typical statue QB he can only stay in the pocket, while Allen is the newer generation who can throw but is also mobile. It is really hard for me to wrap my head around thinking that McCorkle Jones being slightly more accurate than Fields or Lance, outweighs the athleticism gap between them.

Whoever is picked I will trust Shanahan to turn him into a great QB. And if not, well we are in for some dismal years either way.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The athletic QB craze is overblown. Tom's about as unathletic as any QB in the game and his 7 rings didn't seem to care. Mahomes athletic ability didn't save his ass this last Super Bowl. Kaepernick was a flash in the pan and once Russ started cooking, everyone left the cafeteria. Having an athletic QB gives you some options but Mahomes greatness comes from his ability to improvise his throws and see open WRs...on a fantastic team with elite receiving options. Rapistberger is a fatty but his ability to move around and stay on his feet is just as valuable as Mahomes skills for his team.

Teams need a solid roster in all three phases and an offensive plan that works with the QB they have. In the right system, Jones can be the best QB of this draft....as long as he reads defenses as quickly as in college and he stays accurate. Those are the ONLY traits that really matter. Allen did not really become an all-star until he got Diggs, upped his accuracy, and starting throwing all over the place. He still got his ass beat in the playoffs too.

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mahomes athletic ability didn't save his ass this last Super Bowl.
Yeah but the motherfucker made some amazing passes after long scrambles and his receivers kept dropping them. It should have been a much closer game and that's due entirely to his athleticism.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The athletic QB craze is overblown. Tom's about as unathletic as any QB in the game and his 7 rings didn't seem to care. Mahomes athletic ability didn't save his ass this last Super Bowl. Kaepernick was a flash in the pan and once Russ started cooking, everyone left the cafeteria. Having an athletic QB gives you some options but Mahomes greatness comes from his ability to improvise his throws and see open WRs...on a fantastic team with elite receiving options. Rapistberger is a fatty but his ability to move around and stay on his feet is just as valuable as Mahomes skills for his team.

Teams need a solid roster in all three phases and an offensive plan that works with the QB they have. In the right system, Jones can be the best QB of this draft....as long as he reads defenses as quickly as in college and he stays accurate. Those are the ONLY traits that really matter. Allen did not really become an all-star until he got Diggs, upped his accuracy, and starting throwing all over the place. He still got his ass beat in the playoffs too.

I tend to agree. It's certainly an added bonus to be able to move around and make off schedule plays, but it's not required and reading defenses and making throws from the pocket is required. The Seahawks have demonstrated in the last few years that if your QB is out running around all the time, no matter how amazing he is at it, it's not going to go that well. Even the most athletic QB can't beat a team with a solid O-line and a QB that can move the sticks efficiently from the pocket. That said, the athletic part *is* nice to have, and it's certainly fun to watch.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I agree to an extent, but Tom went to about the best offensive line in the league after they took Wirfs in the 1st last year, which allows him to still be a pure pocket passer and succeed. Unless you have a very top O line, frankly you need guys who can move around and scramble some. Mahomes' had the exact opposite problem, he was able to escape a lot but had turnstyles blocking for him...can't get away forever (plus receivers dropping balls even after he scrambled for his life).

I do think the league is moving towards a future where most every QB is going to have to be somewhat mobile. Pass rushers are just getting too athletic for them not to want to be able to get around a bit.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I totally understand what you are all saying, but (and again I am obviously not a pro scout) I just don't see Jones as being that much more accurate or better at processing reads than Fields.

I suppose we will know the answer in a few years!

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I agree to an extent, but Tom went to about the best offensive line in the league after they took Wirfs in the 1st last year, which allows him to still be a pure pocket passer and succeed. Unless you have a very top O line, frankly you need guys who can move around and scramble some. Mahomes' had the exact opposite problem, he was able to escape a lot but had turnstyles blocking for him...can't get away forever (plus receivers dropping balls even after he scrambled for his life).

I do think the league is moving towards a future where most every QB is going to have to be somewhat mobile. Pass rushers are just getting too athletic for them not to want to be able to get around a bit.

I don’t agree with either statement. Tom didn't have about the best offensive line for 20 straight years. He had a good one last year as an old man but not every year. KC knew they had turnstiles. Maybe the game plan needed more adjustment.

For the second argument. I always think that’s a terrible argument. "NFL suddenly employs new Supermen found frozen in cave. Our super duper new science creates them in a lab beside the COVID!" Terrible. Do you think Reggie White, LT, JT, Sapp and others wouldn’t succeed in today’s NFL? Surely, you jest? Do you think Walter Payton, OJ etc couldn’t run in today’s NFL? I think Sapp in his prime, with all those extra practices and conditioning, would dominate the fatties we see on the OL today just like he dominated then.

The OL of the 90s Broncos were much more athletic than these mega-fats today. WFT just traded for a lazy, mega-fatty. Miami has two starters over 320 lbs and just picked up a guy that's 340. Are you saying those guys are athletic??!!???!! With all those practices they don't have to do anymore?! C'mon now!!

No, the reality is that the NFL practices far less than it once did and has pushed offensive benefits so far that you don't need Supermen on the OL. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/02/nfl-holding-penalties-scoring/ . It's always about changed rules. Defense can't do nearly as much as they could two decades ago. Offense given so many advantages in the hopes of higher scoring.

The new QB rules and push are directly meant to up scoring and make it easier for QBs that can't read a defense, aren't as accurate, and are running backs to still succeed. Too many of the money makers aren't succeeding. We have to change this! QBs can't be touched. WRs can't be touched. Hard hits cause massive penalties. These rules let them spread the field more. Keep those QBs happy and healthy!

Numbers are changed so that QBs like Brady can stop dominating our damn game! Please, let the new kids bring in more money, Tom!!! Sure, it was a change to help the defense, wink, wink! We need less thinking, more running! Guys who can plan ahead have too big of an advantage! Just look at the last twenty years! The smartest QB kept winning damn it!!!! No more, Tom...and I think it will work. Tampa will not win this year's Super Bowl. Bank it.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

I was hoping the Chargers would make a move for Lawrence this year prior to last years draft. I am glad they didn't though as Telesco was clearly right on Herbert. He is a stud.

Also Teddy Throwsevelt to the Broncos for a 6th round pick.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It will be harder for new QBs coming into the league with this numbers change I think. Going to need a smart QB that can read formations and not just number formats.

• 1Like