Black Friday 2017

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i havent bought a TV since 2006-7 so this is all very interesting to me.
Damn, and here I thought ours was old. I think we bought it in 2008, but it ended up getting a weird yellow spot (almost like a burn in, but it was just a basketball sized yellow blob in the middle of the screen). Sony had a warranty that lasts forever I guess, and so they gave us a replacement in I believe 2010 or 2011.

Wife and I have been talking about how it's amazing our TV has lasted this long. It'd be nice if we somehow didn't need a TV anymore, but I don't see that happening. We cut the DirecTV/cable cord 3 years ago, but I still download a decent amount of shows. We're down to only watching maybe 5 movies a year because everything is shit.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
I know this sounds silly, but I want to pick up a whitewater raft if one goes on crazy black friday sale. If anyone happens upon a crazy deal and can let me know I will worf you long time.
Not crazy at all. I did it multiple times in my earlier years. We always did it with guide and their equipment though. Not sure how many times you would have to go alone to make purchasing one worth the cost along with all the other things needed.

Oldbased

> Than U
Damn, and here I thought ours was old. I think we bought it in 2008, but it ended up getting a weird yellow spot (almost like a burn in, but it was just a basketball sized yellow blob in the middle of the screen). Sony had a warranty that lasts forever I guess, and so they gave us a replacement in I believe 2010 or 2011.

Wife and I have been talking about how it's amazing our TV has lasted this long. It'd be nice if we somehow didn't need a TV anymore, but I don't see that happening. We cut the DirecTV/cable cord 3 years ago, but I still download a decent amount of shows. We're down to only watching maybe 5 movies a year because everything is shit.
We had a old Westinghouse TV we replaced months ago from 2007. When I looked the issue it was doing up on youtube I came across the exact same issue for that model and in the comments someone said in 2012 that they were the last standing user of the TV before it died. I simply replied,"Wrong".
I had a Vizio 37inch that was awesome from 2008 I gave my grandmother to use 2 years ago, then she died and my cousins ransacked the house. It was awesome, it had actual speakers on it and they faced the front instead of the back like all these fucking tvs do now. It used like 300 watts of power and weighed 80lbs but it was only 4 inches thick. It had more inputs/outputs than any tv we have now. Of course my current pc room TV is 43 inches, uses like 40 watts and weights 30 lbs top. It's amazing how little power and how light all the new ones are now.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
We had a old Westinghouse TV we replaced months ago from 2007. When I looked the issue it was doing up on youtube I came across the exact same issue for that model and in the comments someone said in 2012 that they were the last standing user of the TV before it died. I simply replied,"Wrong".
I had a Vizio 37inch that was awesome from 2008 I gave my grandmother to use 2 years ago, then she died and my cousins ransacked the house. It was awesome, it had actual speakers on it and they faced the front instead of the back like all these fucking tvs do now. It used like 300 watts of power and weighed 80lbs but it was only 4 inches thick. It had more inputs/outputs than any tv we have now. Of course my current pc room TV is 43 inches, uses like 40 watts and weights 30 lbs top. It's amazing how little power and how light all the new ones are now.
im still rocking the same Vizio 37 inch 1080p LED i bought in 2009. i cant find any fault with it except for the fact that its old and its kinda small in comparison with today's mega size TVs. the 4k is amazing and all, but do i really need that kind of detail? ditto with the smart tv options. are those necessary? i want the Samsung curve tv because whether people think its a gimmick or not, it makes everything look 3 dimensional, which is a next step for me. those gay glasses 3d tvs are def a gimmick.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not crazy at all. I did it multiple times in my earlier years. We always did it with guide and their equipment though. Not sure how many times you would have to go alone to make purchasing one worth the cost along with all the other things needed.

I actually own one and it's one of the best investments I ever made. If you like rafting I strongly recommend at least just renting so you don't have to deal with the bro babysitting you.

I actually want to buy another one, for my parents. If there's a crazy good sale.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
We're looking for a decent soundbar (nothing that breaks the bank too much) and maybe one-two of those Amazon Echo's. I can't really think of anything I would need for gaming but if something catches my eye and is cheap enough, I'll always give it a look.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'll put this down for reference Amazon has consoles at
Switch, console only 344

Ps4slim 299
Ps4pro 399

Xbox1s with gow4, 289
Xbox1x 499
Pretty sure that switch price is 3rd Party, amazon isn’t going to sell it over msrp

Looks like the common BF price for ps4 slim is going to be $199, with some going $189.

Xbox one S is around the same.

Haven’t seen any deals on ps4 pro, which is dumb

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Every year I scour the ads for a single thing I can get excited about to buy and "beat the rush" and wake up early one year just to "live the experience" and grab glory by getting one of the amazing big ticket items.

Every year I end up with new Tupperware set for $20 at 2PM in a Lowe's or Home Depot.
Last year I got a comforter.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I thought the same thing. Meh, my 1080p 46" Samsung from 10 years ago is just fine. Then I upgraded to a LG OLED 4k and was blown away. 1080p looks amazing! 4k looks even better. I've gotten interested in movies again because they look so damn good!

I even started to game on it, through a Steam Link, because the TV looks better than my computer monitors. Investing in a good TV upped my quality of life so much! haha

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We're looking for a decent soundbar (nothing that breaks the bank too much) and maybe one-two of those Amazon Echo's. I can't really think of anything I would need for gaming but if something catches my eye and is cheap enough, I'll always give it a look.

The dots will be about 30 bucks. No idea if they will put the full sizes on sale since they just released the new generation. Amazon has had a buy X quantity and save Y dollars thing for a bit now. I'm going to buy some for xmas gifts (and hope they never discover the call feature).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
are refurbs any good? i am hesitant to buy something that was broken and repaired then sold back into the market.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty much every hand-held console I've ever bought has been a refurb, and they've worked great.

I don't think I'd buy one from like, the corner shop next to CD Trade Post, but the Ebay listings where they've sold thousands, yeah.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
are refurbs any good? i am hesitant to buy something that was broken and repaired then sold back into the market.

Most refurbs are literally just returns and repackaged shit I would guess.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Depends on the company and who handles the refurbs. Dyson I always buy refurbished. Both were either brand new and returned to the store before ever being used or they actually replaced shit to make them appear brand new. Both are 4+ years old.
Many refurbished things are people who bought it, took it home, had buyers remorse and returned it to store. They get sent back, repackaged and sold refurbished. Sometimes though you get the shady ass people who used it to replace a defective used to fuck item and they only repair the broken thing but everything else is still used to hell but you can't tell it.
I bought some Vizio soundbars last year on ebay for $40 shipped that was refurbished. Good as new, had full items and the damn things sound great. I got 3 for the price of 1 new one. They were clearly checked and repackaged as good as new condition either by Vizio themselves or a 3rd party handler of refurbishing.
IOW do some research on what brand you are buying and how they handle it.

Also, most big brands offer 6+ months even on refurbs. If it isn't fucking up by then, chances are it'll last full life. Sometimes refurbs are even better than new. Vizio tvs with the audio crackle/screen issue a few years back comes to mind. That was when Vizio went from best tv for price to shit and they had to step up quality and features again to regain market share. The refurbs had the issue corrected while the "new" ones on shelf still had the flaw.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Depends on the company and who handles the refurbs. Dyson I always buy refurbished. Both were either brand new and returned to the store before ever being used or they actually replaced shit to make them appear brand new. Both are 4+ years old.
Many refurbished things are people who bought it, took it home, had buyers remorse and returned it to store. They get sent back, repackaged and sold refurbished. Sometimes though you get the shady ass people who used it to replace a defective used to fuck item and they only repair the broken thing but everything else is still used to hell but you can't tell it.
I bought some Vizio soundbars last year on ebay for $40 shipped that was refurbished. Good as new, had full items and the damn things sound great. I got 3 for the price of 1 new one. They were clearly checked and repackaged as good as new condition either by Vizio themselves or a 3rd party handler of refurbishing.
IOW do some research on what brand you are buying and how they handle it.
amazon has some decent prices on refurbed PC desktops. for me that seems like something i dont want to mess with.

Oldbased

> Than U
amazon has some decent prices on refurbed PC desktops. for me that seems like something i dont want to mess with.
Ya, see my edit above I just did. As far as PC, I wouldn't do pc refurbs. General motors, speakers and stuff like that no problem. Sensitive electronics however, could be shipping damage, overheated, spiked and god knows what and even if they fixed something wrong, damage could be done to many parts that won't show for some time. Just to much stuff to go wrong. Same with phones.

• 1Like