Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I honestly feel like DT is the worst mechanic in EQ. It's something where no matter how well prepared you are, how geared you, how skilled or knowledgeable, there's just nothing you can do about it -- someone will die. Like, I feel like everything should have the possibility, no matter how slim, of being able to be beaten without any deaths.
I always thought it made sense that divine beings on their native planes of existence could simply kill mortals who were trespassing there.

That said, as an element of game design it sucks. I think they should have added some quest you could do to give you an item that would make you impervious to death touch from a particular deity. Like maybe there is an epic style quest in classic that yields a necklace which shields you from Cazic Thules DT, and a separate one for Innoruuk.

I know some folks will just view this as another mandatory quest ala VP/VT key but I like those too so I guess I am just a retard lmao.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’m going to ask Zaide Zaide some ridiculous lore question he has to look up during the big raid....

1612367730671.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like a typical year 2001 Celestial Tomb raid. Can’t tell you the number of times i lost my corpse, because it was buried under a pile of 10 other ones. Xanupox’s epic was the only one ever to run out of Unlimited Charges of rez.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vedette

<Donor>
I always thought it made sense that divine beings on their native planes of existence could simply kill mortals who were trespassing there.

That said, as an element of game design it sucks. I think they should have added some quest you could do to give you an item that would make you impervious to death touch from a particular deity. Like maybe there is an epic style quest in classic that yields a necklace which shields you from Cazic Thules DT, and a separate one for Innoruuk.

I know some folks will just view this as another mandatory quest ala VP/VT key but I like those too so I guess I am just a retard lmao.

If it was a clickable that lasted for only a few seconds, and essentially let the guild chose who got the DT. I like this idea a lot. It would out the afk's/bots in the raid, and add a small amount of "skill" to the game.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If it was a clickable that lasted for only a few seconds, and essentially let the guild chose who got the DT. I like this idea a lot. It would out the afk's/bots in the raid, and add a small amount of "skill" to the game.
I wasn't thinking of that but I love the idea. Would have been great!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I can’t wait to hear about a full fear wipe and the guild mass deletes itself. Can you call the guild “Death Pact” , or maybe “Not A Cult”, or “Welcome to the family”, or just “Zaides death cult “

Sterling

El Presidente
I can’t wait to hear about a full fear wipe and the guild mass deletes itself. Can you call the guild “Death Pact” , or maybe “Not A Cult”, or “Welcome to the family”, or just “Zaides death cult “
Heaven's Gate.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
1. Make a Necro
2. Join Mandalorian
3. Wait until I call for TL's after an event
4. Start casting sacrifice

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That sounds like misremembering.
I took a screen right after it happened, but it doesn't have the actual zap in it. Was 5 in the morning on november the 7th 1999 back when cazic would randomly zap people farming armor from across the zone.

EQ000072.png

I think she was a bard, Aika Rydeen from the team Japan guild <Silence>. Team Japan would sort of cycle in for the night shift and keep it broken enough that people could zone in and make it to the west wall.

Bards got zapped alot.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Sort of surprisingly we've ended up with over 65 people so far, will probably have just a bit over 70 for launch.

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Looks like a typical year 2001 Celestial Tomb raid. Can’t tell you the number of times i lost my corpse, because it was buried under a pile of 10 other ones. Xanupox’s epic was the only one ever to run out of Unlimited Charges of rez.

I could be miss remembering guilds, but I vaguely remember an FOH necro FD'd in the path of cazic, and back when you could give npc's items, gave cazic a haste weapon/item and the dispell magic sword. Celestial Tomb got raped repeatedly by Cazic as I recall. Funniest shit I think ever happened on Veeshan.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I could be miss remembering guilds, but I vaguely remember an FOH necro FD'd in the path of cazic, and back when you could give npc's items, gave cazic a haste weapon/item and the dispell magic sword. Celestial Tomb got raped repeatedly by Cazic as I recall. Funniest shit I think ever happened on Veeshan.

The Legend of Mecha Cazic

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Around the time of late-Velious or early-Luclin, the god of Fear, Cazic Thule was buffed and some amazing loot was added to his table, making him once again a contested target for the servers top guilds. Late one night, the server goes down for an emergency reset. Celestial Tomb, already raiding Plane of Growth, knows this is our chance to finally get a shot at him. The calls go out to port to Feerrott. FoH showed up also, with a modest effort of maybe a group or two, and dispersed shortly after they saw the CT zerg flooding over the forest, causing trains and havoc everywhere they went.

Now, I need to break from the story for a moment and introduce Xerxes, one of Furor's FoH crony's. He was Iksar Necro and a real devious mother fucker. Level 60 Iksar Necros were rarer than the Ancient Cyclops at that point and he was a worshiper of Cazic Thule.

He was ominously present with us around the time we all zoned in.

Later, Xerxes was running around Fear, causing trains and mischief, but he never sent the hoards of fetid fiends, glare lords, and turmoil toads towards any Celestial Tomb groups. We all expected mass trains, but they never came. After a while, /who Xerxes came up blank and we continued with the task at hand. When we finally cleared enough to behold Cazic, he strangely was dual wielding weapons that looked like a Dark Reaver and a Katana. New weapons?! The raid started to buzz with excitement.

The zergs were lined up, buffed up, given a quick pep talk and sent streaming in to be snared and smashed back. As a Shaman, I had the important job of Slowing Cazic. Even with Malo and Tash, it would only land one in maybe 5 tries. It must have been my lucky night because, first cast we see the message, "Cazic Thule begins to yawn." Great, now I can go patch heal for the next 3 minutes... but wait, the main tank was just mowed down, and 3 more rogues in the blink of an eye. A cleric is summoned, dead. A Wizard is summoned, dead. What the fuck? The next tank gets agro and screams, "He's not slowed!". Not only was he not slowed, but he seemed to have Haste. The entire raid was a wipe.

Someone in Guild Chat says, "Xerxes fucked us. He gave Cazic a self-dispelling sword and a haste sword." It is like 1:45am at this point and the zerg mob was grumbling. Guild leadership quelled the masses and decided we could not give this target up. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The call went out, "bind in zone." We all gave each other an uneasy look, and you had the crazy zealots immediately dropping to their asses and memorizing Bind. Jesus fucking christ, the sane (and gainfully employed) among us got the cold sweats. We knew that we had to be at work in mere hours the next day.

The legend has it that Cazic piled the bodies sky high, with most of the Celestial Tomb's zerg leaving 4-5 naked bodies each upon the landscape. Truthfully, in reality... it was even worse. It was more like 10-15 bodies each. It was a loss of 2 or 3 levels each. We threw wave upon bloody wave to the feet of Cazic. It was the second coming of hamburger hill. We got him down to 4%, but alas he won the day.

It was past 2:45am at that point and about half the guild just said "fuck it" and logged on the spot. The rest rezzed up as best they could. We were all in shock and awe for what had just happened.

The next day Flame Vault exploded, with CT leadership demanding Xerxes must die. There were also claims that it was not the act of one lone terrorist but a FoH guild-wide conspiracy. FoH in turn posted a classic news article where a mad Gnome Scientist had created the ultimate weapon to eradicate the Zerg once and for all, MECHA-CAZIC. They had screenshots of the apocalyptic creation, bathing in the corpses of hundreds of CT zergs. With enough tears and threats being thrown back and forth, Verant actually suspended Xerxes a week for the stunt.

Veeshan, we know drama.
~Shaman of Celestial Tomb, '99-'01

Last edited:
  • 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Around the time of late-Velious or early-Luclin, the god of Fear, Cazic Thule was buffed and some amazing loot was added to his table, making him once again a contested target for the servers top guilds. Late one night, the server goes down for an emergency reset. Celestial Tomb, already raiding Plane of Growth, knows this is our chance to finally get a shot at him. The calls go out to port to Feerrott. FoH showed up also, with a modest effort of maybe a group or two, and dispersed shortly after they saw the CT zerg flooding over the forest, causing trains and havoc everywhere they went.

Now, I need to break from the story for a moment and introduce Xerxes, one of Furor's FoH crony's. He was Iksar Necro and a real devious mother fucker. Level 60 Iksar Necros were rarer than the Ancient Cyclops at that point and he just so happened to be a worshiper of Cazic Thule.

He was ominously present with us around the time we all zoned in.

Later, Xerxes was running around Fear, causing trains and mischief, but he never sent the hoards of fetid fiends, glare lords, and turmoil toads towards any CT groups. We all expected mass trains, but they never came. After a while, /who Xerxes came up blank and we continued with the task at hand. When we finally cleared enough to behold Cazic, he strangely was dual wielding a weapon that looked like a Bloodfire and a Katana. New weapons?! The raid started to buzz with excitement. The zergs were lined up, buffed up, given a quick pep talk and sent streaming in to be snared and smashed back. As a Shaman, I had the important job of Slowing Cazic. Even with Malo and Tash, it would only land one in maybe 5 tries. It must have been my lucky night because, first cast we see the message, "Cazic Thule begins to yawn." Great, now I can go patch heal for the next 3 minutes... but wait, the main tank was just mowed down, and 3 more rogues in the blink of an eye. A cleric is summoned, dead. A Wizard is summoned, dead. What the fuck? The next tank gets agro and screams, "He's not slowed!". Not only was he not slowed, but he seemed to have Haste. The entire raid was a wipe.

Someone in Guild Chat says, "Xerxes fucked us. He gave Cazic a self-dispelling sword and a haste sword." It is like 1:45am at this point and the zerg mob was grumbling. Guild leadership quelled the masses and decided we could not give this target up. Desperate times call for desperate measures and the call went out, "bind in zone." We all gave each other an uneasy look, and you had the crazy zealots immediately dropping to their asses and memorizing Bind. Jesus fucking christ, the sane (and gainfully employed) among us got the cold sweats.

The legend has it that Cazic piled the bodies sky high, with most of the Celestial Tomb's zerg leaving 4-5 naked bodies each upon the landscape. Truthfully... in reality... it was more like 10-15 bodies each. It was 2 to 3 levels each. We threw waive upon bloody waive to the feet of Cazic. It was the second coming of hamburger hill. We got him down to 4%, but alas he won the day.

It was past 2:45am at that point and about half the guild just said "fuck it" and logged on the spot. The rest rezzed up as best they could. We were all in shock and awe for what had just happened.

The next day Flame Vault exploded, with CT leadership demanding Xerxes must die and claiming it was not the act of one lone terrorist, but a FoH guild-wide conspiracy. FoH in turn posted a classic news article where a mad Gnome Scientist had created the ultimate weapon to eradicate the Zerg once and for all, MECHA-CAZIC. They had screenshots of the apocalyptic creation, bathing in the corpses of hundreds of CT zergs. With enough tears and threats being thrown back and forth, Verant actually suspended Xerxes a week for the stunt.

Veeshan, we know drama.
~Shaman of Celestial Tomb, '99-'01

Yeap, I remember him being suspended. I also believe that is when Sony/Verant took away the ability to have NPCs use/wield what players gave them.

I know you were on the shit end of that, but still the funniest thing I remember about Veeshan.