Fall 2021 Anime Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is the demon slayer season any different from the actual train movie? Are you saying that the season is just the movie sliced into episodes?
I broke down and watched the first episode, it was a prequel episode of all new content showing what Rengoku was doing immediately prior to boarding the train. If UFOtable doesn't want torch and pitchfork mobs they'll probably reanimate most of it without changing the story beats, but won't change things anywhere near as much as Boruto did when that series re-did the Momoshiki arc.

If they literally just reuse the movie footage to pad out the anime season, I'll be pretty goddamn salty.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I broke down and watched the first episode, it was a prequel episode of all new content showing what Rengoku was doing immediately prior to boarding the train. If UFOtable doesn't want torch and pitchfork mobs they'll probably reanimate most of it without changing the story beats, but won't change things anywhere near as much as Boruto did when that series re-did the Momoshiki arc.

If they literally just reuse the movie footage to pad out the anime season, I'll be pretty goddamn salty.

Wait, this was a prequel to the movie. Haven't seen that yet, but now is the time.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Is the demon slayer season any different from the actual train movie? Are you saying that the season is just the movie sliced into episodes?

1st episode was a prequel to him getting on the train. So I assume there will be some differences from the movie.

World's Finest Assassin was great. So was Banished.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Movie is solid. Like "S" rank anime as far as movie's go. GREAT ending.
Honestly, I feel like the anime adaptation would have bombed if it hadn't been made by a peerless studio like UFOtable. The manga may a freakish success, but at it's core it's a very generic, tropey, formulaic shonen. The silliness of Zenitsu is completely at odds with the otherwise extremely dark tone of the series. Although I'll give the writer credit for knowing his audience because Zenitsu is apparently one of the most popular characters in Japan. I really wasn't sold on the series until the Natagumo Mountain arc, and then it was like everything fell into place. The fight between Tanjiro and Rui is one of the best fight scenes in the history of anime, and most of the competition on my shortlist was also animated by UFOtable.

Mugen Train was fantastic. It really showed how far beyond a Mizunoto a Hashira is, and the incredible power level of an Upper Moon. It also means that Tanjiro is going to have to go through some kind of absolutely ridiculous power creeping (typical to shonen) to stand any chance against the Upper Moons or Muzan himself.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The manga may a freakish success, but at it's core it's a very generic, tropey, formulaic shonen.
You make it sound like it's a bad thing. The manga knows its target audience, and I wouldn't fault them for that. Especially not after American comics generally shit on their target audience for "diversity" and "inclusivity".

All these shounen are optimized for their target audience, as they get feedback week after week from polls. And if you don't perform like the audience expects you to, you get cancelled and axed. Simple as that.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Watched that demon slayer movie. It was surprisingly good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Honestly, I feel like the anime adaptation would have bombed if it hadn't been made by a peerless studio like UFOtable. The manga may a freakish success, but at it's core it's a very generic, tropey, formulaic shonen. The silliness of Zenitsu is completely at odds with the otherwise extremely dark tone of the series. Although I'll give the writer credit for knowing his audience because Zenitsu is apparently one of the most popular characters in Japan. I really wasn't sold on the series until the Natagumo Mountain arc, and then it was like everything fell into place. The fight between Tanjiro and Rui is one of the best fight scenes in the history of anime, and most of the competition on my shortlist was also animated by UFOtable.

Mugen Train was fantastic. It really showed how far beyond a Mizunoto a Hashira is, and the incredible power level of an Upper Moon. It also means that Tanjiro is going to have to go through some kind of absolutely ridiculous power creeping (typical to shonen) to stand any chance against the Upper Moons or Muzan himself.

There were some other parts of the anime that made me say: yeah, this is better than the usual shit.

The Tamari (?) demon with the arrow demon was some cool shit. Muzan really making you feel like this mother fucker is not to be fucked with, without being some over the top vilain. Just, they captured the absolute aura of badassery around the character.

Tanjiro chopping the spider mom's head off was beautiful. Zenitsu as annoying as he is has the big payback when he finally gets the fuck shit up. it's just satisfying. All the character development was done without being in the way of the story.

And yeah obviously you're right about the Rui fight and Mugen train. Shit is S+ tier.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Tamari (?) demon with the arrow demon was some cool shit.
Maybe it's unfair but UFOtable has blown me away so many times that it takes something on the level of Tanjiro vs Rui for them to wow me anymore. Like yeah, even when I was kinda meh on the story the animation was amazing but that's just what I expect from UFOtable at this point.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

Zenitsu is far and away the most popular character in the Manga/Anime in Japan.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I was hoping this would expand a bit more beyond the movie. I liked that the first episode was some added backstory but the rest seems to be just to movie, there was a few scenes that were expanded, but that's it. Either way Rengoku is badass enough I'll watch it again. Even if it's just repeat.

Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-no-Yaiba-Mugen-Train.png

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Paladin ep2 was pretty good.

Platinum End ep2, interesting end. Didn't really expect it go into high school.

World Trigger ep2, still the same goodness I've been expecting.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I was hoping this would expand a bit more beyond the movie. I liked that the first episode was some added backstory but the rest seems to be just to movie, there was a few scenes that were expanded, but that's it. Either way Rengoku is badass enough I'll watch it again. Even if it's just repeat.

Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-no-Yaiba-Mugen-Train.png
I just watched the movie, and since that was the best stuff I've seen from this series and among the best anime minutes I've experienced. I'll give it a total pass if the rest of the season is half as good. I didn't feel it about s1, but that movie was up there with the real emotional anime experiences like inuyashiki or the part 1 ending credits of jujutsu kaisen.

Last edited: