Hawaii

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I go into the ocean almost once a week. Sometimes many times per week. It's NEVER cold out here, doesn't matter what time of year.

I would suggest getting some light swimming style shoes for while you're here. The surfing areas are fairly shallow. At least once you ride the waves in a bit. And there's corral EVERYWHERE, and it's sharp as fuck. I've cut my feet open more than a few times just trying to kick while swimming (now I just breast stroke everything and I'm fine). But you'll save yourself a lot of damage if you wear a foot protection that doesn't remove your ability to swim.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just got back from Maui - hadn't been in 12 years (Previously lived in Kona on the big island for a year and loved it)... Maybe my memory is hazy, maybe it was all the drugs, but I can't remember there being this many Chinese tourists on previous visits (especially Honolulu). It was insane, and not good insane like Carrot Top, but bad insane like Islam.

That said, had a dynamite time on Maui. My wife had never been and fell in love with Kihei and Paia especially. Did Molokini Crater (saw a smallish Tiger Shark and a giant Manta), did some surfing in Kihei at the cove (though the waves were mostly tiny - easy place to get up on a board for the wife who'd never surfed), road to Hana, etc. Had a great time. Shaved Ice at Ululani's was excellent, food at Tin Roof and Star Noodle was really good (my boy Sheldon from Top Chef!). All in all, I'd like to someday live around the Paia area. Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson Willi Nelson etc all live around there and they seem pretty cool. The real estate market is so crazy right now though, not sure it's a great time to buy even as an investment property.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just got back from Maui - hadn't been in 12 years (Previously lived in Kona on the big island for a year and loved it)... Maybe my memory is hazy, maybe it was all the drugs, but I can't remember there being this many Chinese tourists on previous visits (especially Honolulu). It was insane, and not good insane like Carrot Top, but bad insane like Islam.

That said, had a dynamite time on Maui. My wife had never been and fell in love with Kihei and Paia especially. Did Molokini Crater (saw a smallish Tiger Shark and a giant Manta), did some surfing in Kihei at the cove (though the waves were mostly tiny - easy place to get up on a board for the wife who'd never surfed), road to Hana, etc. Had a great time. Shaved Ice at Ululani's was excellent, food at Tin Roof and Star Noodle was really good (my boy Sheldon from Top Chef!). All in all, I'd like to someday live around the Paia area. Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson Willi Nelson etc all live around there and they seem pretty cool. The real estate market is so crazy right now though, not sure it's a great time to buy even as an investment property.
Japanese

It's crazy, when we were there a few times, the merchants would say konichiwa and straight up talk to my wife and i in Japanese.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been in Kauai since the 7th. Hiked to the Hanakapi'ai falls tdoay (part of the Kalalau trail on the Na Poli coast).

Probably the best hike I've ever done. First, despite the elevation, it seemed relatively easy (coming back up from the beach was a fucking workout, but otherwise not bad). But man, the falls were absolutely gorgeous. 300 fucking feet. Just insane. For an 8 mile hike I don't feel too bad today.

We also hiked the Sleeping Giant on the first day, which seemed quite hot. Went to the Allerton Gardens yesterday which were pretty amazing.

So far I've got to say Kauai is absolutely amazing. Wish we were here longer than two weeks.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Been in Kauai since the 7th. Hiked to the Hanakapi'ai falls tdoay (part of the Kalalau trail on the Na Poli coast).

Probably the best hike I've ever done. First, despite the elevation, it seemed relatively easy (coming back up from the beach was a fucking workout, but otherwise not bad). But man, the falls were absolutely gorgeous. 300 fucking feet. Just insane. For an 8 mile hike I don't feel too bad today.

We also hiked the Sleeping Giant on the first day, which seemed quite hot. Went to the Allerton Gardens yesterday which were pretty amazing.

So far I've got to say Kauai is absolutely amazing. Wish we were here longer than two weeks.

While you are in the neighborhood go shit in Zuckerberg's mailbox for me. Thanks in advance.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
And I would recommend the Big island over Kauai personally (though its still great), I like it so much I'm having a wedding there in a few months, and looking at buying some land there (some nice 1 acre plots starting at 35k... I wouldn't mind living there at some point, as in, that would be a fucking dream come true).

Nester

Vyemm Raider
And I would recommend the Big island over Kauai personally (though its still great), I like it so much I'm having a wedding there in a few months, and looking at buying some land there (some nice 1 acre plots starting at 35k... I wouldn't mind living there at some point, as in, that would be a fucking dream come true).

Link to one acre plots for $35k in Hawaii please. I share your dream. Only been to Maui but want to try Kauai or the big island this year.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Its probably way inland. Rural Hawaii isn't stupid expensive. It is just inaccessible to normal human life.

• 1Solidarity

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Don't buy all the land please. Also, if you're my neighbor, can I borrow some eggs?

landhooooo.png

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

that lot will have zero infrastructure on or anywhere near it. plan and paying big coin to get power brought in and setting up catchment for water which wont be potable because of lead from the volcano out gassing. You can go osmotic and UV filters, but I still wouldn't drink it and most locals don't. also need to put in septic tank and a leech field.

Upside is there is almost no light pollution on the Big Island. But those fucking Koki frogs are everywhere and loud and annoying at night. Tiny coqui frog becomes a big problem in Hawaii

But to the Hawaii Invasive Species Council, a state agency, their vast numbers create a "loud, incessant and annoying call from dusk to dawn." The male frogs chirp at about 90 decibels, roughly as loud as a lawn mower or garbage disposal.

Last edited:

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I also assuming building a house on Hawaii is far more expensive than on the mainland since everything needs to be boated in.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Don't worry guys everything works out for Onoes.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
that lot will have zero infrastructure on or anywhere near it. plan and paying big coin to get power brought in and setting up catchment for water which wont be potable because of lead from the volcano out gassing. You can go osmotic and UV filters, but I still wouldn't drink it and most locals don't. also need to put in septic tank and a leech field.

Upside is there is almost no light pollution on the Big Island. But those fucking Koki frogs are everywhere and loud and annoying at night. Tiny coqui frog becomes a big problem in Hawaii

All things I need to look into. Although all these lots are on the electrical grid already, so its just a connection to the pole. As for the water catchment, my understanding is that is pretty much the norm almost everywhere on the island? Every place I've stayed has been catchment anyway, so I was expecting that. I had no clue about it not being potable, I'll have to research that. And just like the water catchment, Septic and leech field is pretty standard right? To be honest, most of these are issues I've been looking at dealing with property in any remote area in the states as well, so none of this seems like a big deal to me.

Just some random googling and it seems like 6-8k for the septic and leech field, and 3-5k for the water catchment system. So, 35k for the land, 15k for the utilities, and then build a house for 100-200k. Pretty comparable to what you can spend anywhere around me in the Arizona hell-scape... only you know, in a tropical paradise. The grass is always greener right? :p

It's funny you brought up the frogs. My lady and I literally fell asleep to a youtube channel recording of them last night. She was brushing her teeth and I turned it on, and she came into the room going "What is that, birds? What are you doing?" and I said "It's the frogs from Hawaii, I've been on a Hawaii kick all day." Then we climbed into bed, I left it playing, we cuddled up, I kissed her forehead (I assume bringing her to orgasm) and we fell asleep.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Living in Hawaii sounds like a pain in the ass. Sure it seems like a paradise, but you're practically a prisoner to it. No concerts or live events of any kind, extremely inconvenient time zone, $400+ cost to go to even the cheapest destination, no access to goods mainland folks take for granted. Just sounds shitty.

• 1Solidarity

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
All things I need to look into. Although all these lots are on the electrical grid already, so its just a connection to the pole. As for the water catchment, my understanding is that is pretty much the norm almost everywhere on the island? Every place I've stayed has been catchment anyway, so I was expecting that. I had no clue about it not being potable, I'll have to research that. And just like the water catchment, Septic and leech field is pretty standard right? To be honest, most of these are issues I've been looking at dealing with property in any remote area in the states as well, so none of this seems like a big deal to me.

Just some random googling and it seems like 6-8k for the septic and leech field, and 3-5k for the water catchment system. So, 35k for the land, 15k for the utilities, and then build a house for 100-200k. Pretty comparable to what you can spend anywhere around me in the Arizona hell-scape... only you know, in a tropical paradise. The grass is always greener right? :p

It's funny you brought up the frogs. My lady and I literally fell asleep to a youtube channel recording of them last night. She was brushing her teeth and I turned it on, and she came into the room going "What is that, birds? What are you doing?" and I said "It's the frogs from Hawaii, I've been on a Hawaii kick all day." Then we climbed into bed, I left it playing, we cuddled up, I kissed her forehead (I assume bringing her to orgasm) and we fell asleep.

You are doing your due diligence, I was trying to make sure everyone people dreaming of a $35K land rush knew what they were getting into. It's very rural and undeveloped. 1 koki frog coming out of your PC speaker doesnt convey the sound of 20 of them pumping out 80-90 db all night.

Its hard to explain the big island vibe, it's one part back woods boonies, one part lawless wild west, one part lazy do-nothing motherfuckers, one part white rastafarians, one part meth addicts, one part heroin addicts, one part burnt out old hippies, one part racist white hating locals.

Personally I love it, I have property there I am going to retire to, but it's not for everyone. And I have huge advantage knowing the culture and the language. I have known a lot of people who moved there and noped out after a couple yrs because it's too slow, too isolated, too expensive cost of living. If you want to drop off the grid or off the face of the earth, it's the place to go.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Different strokes for different folks?

I currently live directly between Phoenix and Las Vegas... how many live shows do I go to per year? 1 or 2 maybe. Inconvenient time zone? I'm not even sure how that would negatively impact my day to day life. The cost of travel... I'm currently spending maybe 6-8k per year on travel. Literally every single destination has been next to the ocean, because that's where I want to go. Again with the goods, I can't imagine there is much that I can't get if I put my mind to it. Sure, it might cost more to get shipped over, but again, I don't really think I'm consuming all that many unique goods.

I'm sure your life is different from mine, and maybe each of those things would have a much bigger impact on your particular lifestyle, but for me, none of those things are issues at all.