North Korea

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
People really think the US/Japan would do a complete 180 from trying to appease NK to blowing up their Rocket? lolz

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I was genuinely curious if Gavinrad had something interesting to post about NK, guess he just can't step out of the angry forum guy personality for a minute and make a regular post.

(or he had nothing to contribute but wanted to sound smart)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was genuinely curious if Gavinrad had something interesting to post about NK, guess he just can't step out of the angry forum guy personality for a minute and make a regular post.

12/12/12 Never forget gavinrad got called out on his bullshit and tucked tail

Cybsled

It's not surprising China+Russia aren't happy with it, since randomly shooting stuff into orbit runs the risk of damaging THEIR satellites or astronauts if they happen to be up there. The "secret space plane" was definitely launched to pwn/capture the NK satellite though haha
wink.png

wink.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Nah, I've discussed my views about Best Korea before over on FoH. A big part of what is wrong with North Korea is the fact that nobody helped them rebuild after the Korean War (China's fault, not ours), but it doesn't help that they've been getting buttfucked by economic sanctions for decades (Our fault). I imagine that if we started treating them like an adult, it would encourage them to start acting like one.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Korea is like every other nation we dont get along with. Obama came in and just rebooted the same progression every other president did. Start withsustained, direct, and aggressive diplomacy, then when that doesnt work we go to sanctions and progress up to talking about how we'll sanction the fuck out of them. Maybe appeal to the UN (lol), and perhaps even rattle a few sabres by vague military threats or leaked plans on how we'd bunker buster this or that site.

Doesnt change anything.

Unless they think some sort of air strike would do something the only real options are do nothing, or missile defense!

rrr_img_2161.gif

rrr_img_2161.gif

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Wait, why is he banned now? Was curious to see if he actually had anything else to add.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't think the fallout would be that big. And NK wouldn't care enough to admit their shit got shot down.

As far as I'm concerned these kinds of harmless games should be legal during peace times. Fighter jets should also be allowed to frequently combat each other over open seas also, as long as it's caught on video for the public.
What would be the benefit of antagonizing NK, Russia, China, and possibly others? What upside is there? What is gained by attempting to shoot it down? That is crossing a line that no country in history has crossed, in shooting down another country's satellite launch. What kind of precedent does that set?

As far as fighter jets "combating" each other, real life isn't Top Gun. Fighter engagements are done at 50-100 miles with missiles these days. Outside of training, why would two nations' fighter jets approach to close range and mock dog fight each other? That's just asking for an international incident. And for the record, Russia has resumed their Bear bomber flights over the Arctic circle, with Canada and the US scrambling fighters to intercept and the Bears turning back before crossing any boundaries.

Gavinrad_sl said:
And you know what, fuck it, lets just go with 'I plead no contest about North Korea', cause I no longer feel like discussing it. This forum is already an even bigger hive of scum and faggotry than FoH was.
You're such a little pussy.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Korea is like every other nation we dont get along with. Obama came in and just rebooted the same progression every other president did. Start withsustained, direct, and aggressive diplomacy, then when that doesnt work we go to sanctions and progress up to talking about how we'll sanction the fuck out of them. Maybe appeal to the UN (lol), and perhaps even rattle a few sabres by vague military threats or leaked plans on how we'd bunker buster this or that site.

Doesnt change anything.

Unless they think some sort of air strike would do something the only real options are do nothing, or missile defense!

rrr_img_2161.gif
SK has a much bigger impact on NK behavior than we do. Things were progressing very well and there was very little hostility until Lee Myung Bak was elected. He is the George W of SK and basically single-handedly ruined any build up of diplomacy. During his presidency is when the Cheonan was sunk, NK tested a nuke, and the island in the west was shelled.

I do kind of find it funny that we get all up in arms when NK launches a satellite. Yea it's a "cover for developing weapons tech" etc etc, but what gives us, or any other country, the right to say "we'll do whatever we want, but you better not do the same."

rrr_img_2161.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I do kind of find it funny that we get all up in arms when NK launches a satellite. Yea it's a "cover for developing weapons tech" etc etc, but what gives us, or any other country, the right to say "we'll do whatever we want, but you better not do the same."
I agree with this a lot, but the 'right' is given by the global organization body (UN) voting to put sanctions on a country. Whether you call that a right or not is another debate.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ethically, I'm not sure we have a right other than that we do not trust the leadership of NK with long range nukes, out of self interest. Whether that is right or wrong is debatable.

This, however, gives us a de facto right

rrr_img_2221.jpg

rrr_img_2221.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I agree with this a lot, but the 'right' is given by the global organization body (UN) voting to put sanctions on a country. Whether you call that a right or not is another debate.
forcing your views on a sovereign country is never a 'right'

iannis

Musty Nester
Dashel is right honestly. The only way to stop this is to blow shit up and kill people. Nothing else works. The question is not do we have a right to do that, the question is Eomer's -- is it worth it to do that? My answer (and apparently the unspoken but understood answer of the American military) is "not yet". That's different than not ever. It's not about sovereign rights. It's not even about what is right. You can't defend or attack what's happening in North Korea through either of those avenues because if you tried it would lead us into war even more quickly.

It's about regional stability, global power, and american interests. Superpower ain't just words they say on the nightly news.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
forcing your views on a sovereign country is never a 'right'
I agree. The question is whether sanctions force your views on a sovereign country, or simply cut them off from the group of people imposing the sanction.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I think it depends on the context. Sanctioning as a punishment for aggression, like shelling SK or sinking the Cheonan, is fundamentally different from sanctioning for developing rocket technology. One is aggression, the other is technology that can be used as aggression. It's punishing shooting someone versus acquiring a gun. I don't know the correct answer for "should we let NK pursue military technologies" from a pragmatic point of view, but ethically, what we are doing is nothing more than bullying.

The problem with these "this country is dangerous, we have to do whatever we can to stop them" attitudes is that they seem to me to be precisely what causes war a majority of the time. It caused Vietnam*, it caused Iraq 2003, it would have caused the destruction of our planet during the Cuban Missile Crisis (while no military action led to eventual peace), it will likely cause the destruction of the entire middle east if Israel pursues that mentality with Iran.

On the other hand, what wars were caused by letting a country build up? Germany in WWII (and WWI? I don't know enough about that one)... is there any other?

It is this bullying "you aren't allowed to pursue what we already have" attitude that seems to cause most of the hostilities in the first place.

*our fear of communism spreading in a runaway manner

Soljourn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sanctions seem more like, if you want to develop nukes and test your rockets, that is fine, but we are no longer going to give you aid, buy anything from you or sell anything to you. I just don't see how that is bullying.