Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Guarantee the average age of this board is over 30.

On topic image:

Passenger-plane-skids-off-runway-in-Turkeys-Trabzon-Airport.jpg

Become one of the fallen!

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
This board has been going for over 15 years now and the majority of us have been here since the beginning. I seriously doubt we had many 5 year olds posting back in the FoH EQ days.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Really? And where in this did I make the claim that it was anything but 20-30?

I mean, I'm seriously questioning your mental ability right now.

You seem confused. I said you were about a decade off; the average age of this board is 30-40, most likely.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Seeing as how time's moved on, I'm thinking the average age of this board has stayed the same. Which is about 20-30.

If time has moved on, why would the average age of members on this board remain the same? Wouldn't our average age increase over time??

We're not exactly flooding with new members here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think we might have been reading different forums back then...
I know a few people that were here from the start, or were here, that are in their upper 20's now. FoH had every age group of EverQuest visiting lol.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm pretty firmly in the wait and see camp. Every "big" MMO that releases sells a lot of boxes though. Truth is unless the game is universally panned pre-release most of us here will buy it.

The mmorpg.com style hype train is going to guarantee it sells well. Doesn't mean it will be good, who knows

This is as far from a "big" MMO as you can get. If it wasn't for this thread, which is 95% people making fun of it, I'd have never heard of it

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Isnt it safer to assume World of Warcraft is just old as fuck? What is it, 14 years old? The attrition that WoW is experiencing is a far cry from a thermostat of how the MMO genre's health is. WoW's success brought around great change, for the better or worse that included far more players under its umbrella. You know as well as I do that there are far more casual players than no-lifer's playing MMO's now, in 2018, then there was in 2004. You have to appreciate WoW for what it has become and hate that the market has not produced an extremely polished deeper MMO experience that would pick a veteran MMO player up after they quit WoW.
Still, new mmos are suffering from player exodus as well. The premise of these games is elaborate and persistent worlds for players to inhabit, yet they're lasting a matter of weeks for most. This is a problem when you're dumping years and lots of money into them.

Something is amiss, and I think it's time for the paradigm to shift back. That may very well mean less overall players up front, but that they actually grow over time.

• 2Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
They're either WoW clones or grindy mess clones. There is no middle ground. The ones that try and go for the middle ground (GW2 comes to mind), are just plain boring as fuck. They attempt at having a story, but it's just meh. You couldn't give a shit less about the characters or what they're doing. At least I couldn't.

• 2Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This is as far from a "big" MMO as you can get. If it wasn't for this thread, which is 95% people making fun of it, I'd have never heard of it
Yea, but if you're actively playing any MMO then you see people talking about it in general chat or whatever that games equivalent is. Most of those people that I see and blindly optimistic. This is definitely one of the largest MMO communities, but our cynicism is not universal. Deserved or not Pantheon is getting a lot of attention from just about anyone that actively plays MMO's, anecdotally at least.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yea, but if you're actively playing any MMO then you see people talking about it in general chat or whatever that games equivalent is.

Can't say that I have seen anyone mention this at all in any chat in the MMO I am currently casually playing.

• 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Still, new mmos are suffering from player exodus as well. The premise of these games is elaborate and persistent worlds for players to inhabit, yet they're lasting a matter of weeks for most. This is a problem when you're dumping years and lots of money into them.

Something is amiss, and I think it's time for the paradigm to shift back. That may very well mean less overall players up front, but that they actually grow over time.

I think you are way off on this. Some here have gotten the crazy idea that people are buying brand new games, and then just walking off before even the free month is up. Your individual experiences...aren't the norm. Random, made up shit...isn't reality. Here's some reality. Perfect Ten: The healthiest live MMORPGs at the end of 2016.

Give me this list of MMOs that on their last legs. I can tell you about the ones like Shadowbane, Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, WAR, SWG, CoH, and a few others that are dead.

Dullahan

I think you are way off on this. Some here have gotten the crazy idea that people are buying brand new games, and then just walking off before even the free month is up. Your individual experiences...aren't the norm. Random, made up shit...isn't reality. Here's some reality. Perfect Ten: The healthiest live MMORPGs at the end of 2016.

Give me this list of MMOs that on their last legs. I can tell you about the ones like Shadowbane, Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, WAR, SWG, CoH, and a few others that are dead.
Just because people still play games, doesn't mean they're doing great. Yes WoW is still profitable with many people still playing (mostly asian), yes ffxiv is doing well, but only after remaking their game. ESO is still okay, but suffered huge losses in their first year. Other than that, almost all the games in that list have lost the majority of their audience and relied heavily on cash shops and console releases to keep enough people playing.

I mean come on, Black Desert? Time to face the facts that most these games went from extremely popular to just stragglers in under 3 months.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Just because people still play games, doesn't mean they're doing great. Yes WoW is still profitable with many people still playing (mostly asian), yes ffxiv is doing well, but only after remaking their game. ESO is still okay, but suffered huge losses in their first year. Other than that, almost all the games in that list have lost the majority of their audience and relied heavily on cash shops and console releases to keep enough people playing.

I mean come on, Black Desert? Time to face the facts that most these games went from extremely popular to just stragglers in under 3 months.

According to this release of numbers, Black Desert Has 3.4 Million Players in NA and EU Servers by the end of 2015. Sure, it's probably dropped significantly...like most MMOs do unless there is nothing else to play. Your other points mean nothing. WoW...doing great. ESO...doing fine. FF...doing well. You're trying to put an addendum to the fact these games are very successful. Your comparison is a game developed by a guy who lost the majority of his audience within 6 months and needed a major publisher to fix the massive amount of bugs just to get it in releasable form.

You have zero evidence of your last statement. Just some 'feels' data. It's sad seeing the pretzels made just to push any positive spin for this game.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Dullahan

Feels data my ass. As someone who actually played most of these games, logging in a few months from launch and seeing nobody on your friends list still online, every player in the guild you started with offline, and what were previous "full servers" showing low population after 3 months, is a far cry from my "feels".

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity