Pruning the Politics thread for massive improvements, An experiment. (long read)

Implement the final solution by a skeleton

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Who cares? At least the "derails" are discussions and arguments by members of the forums, just not a pages full of random tweets posted by a nobody fhat half show something

I wish your feeling on this point were made before voting started.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 7 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ignore is there. Use it.

I believe in Free Speech so much I am willing to click past the Tolan and Scream derails. Do this, and it will really be an echo chamber.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
So, after looking through the last few hundred posts in the politics threads, tweets that fall under the conditions I listed are actually quite few.

Most of them are:
  • Trump tweets. No way we're banning these
  • There's also Posobiac, people know who that is I think, and the content is fairly obvious from the tweet, and a lot of the time the poster reacts to the tweet's content in some way.
  • Scott Adams tweets. Also falls within the scope.
  • James Woods tweets. Ditto
  • Undercover Huber tweets. Now, this is parody account (I believe?) but who it is doesn't really matter, the content does, and that is quite long, comes from a verifiable source, and is also commented on by the poster in question.
  • Tweets from news organization X. Falls within the scope IMO. If it's an out-there fake news source, it generally gets called out as such.
You get the idea. So really, how much content would you be pruning if you enacted a policy like this? Also, it would require a LOT of time from Amod to scan and make judgement calls on these types of posts along with the already implemented meme policy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
In the last 1000 posts to the Politics thread, there were 111 unique usernames posting. This seems like a healthy community of posters, and was one of the highest "active username" count for any thread on the forum (WOW:Legion scored higher with 717 but the other high traffic ones had double digit counts or much lower volume). For reference the query was as simple as SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT USERNAME). I will have a look to see if I can query the ratio of "content creators to consumer" but I suspect that the answer will be that Politics heavily beats other high volume threads like, for example FSR. And has a loyal contributor and reader base that vastly exceeds every other thread on this board.

The original problem statement states "is moving too fast for an average user to keep up and discussion on topics is stimed by frequent derails and trolls".

It isn't obvious to me why the best optimization for this forum is to ensure that the average user can consume all the content in a thread at their leisure, especially if it comes at the expense of free speech and through stifling contributions that are on topic. Why do we want to address this problem at all, and why through censorship and thread post throttling? We have an active community, one that doesn't always agree, that creates very different content from source data to tweets to reddit analysis etc. The thread seems to be thriving. It doesn't seem broken, so I am not clear on why we should take action to "fix it".

Last edited:
  • 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, I enjoy the derails. We have some busy days and most of them are because of the derails. We also have some really slow as fuck days in politics. Most of the threads on this site are slow as fuck. Politics keeps me in there partly because it actually has significant content(even if some is garbage). As Lend pointed out, libs have thin skin so without those four it would just be an echo chamber.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Banning people because you disagree with them is really fucking stupid.

• 6Solidarity
  • 6Like
Reactions: 11 users

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
So, after looking through the last few hundred posts in the politics threads, tweets that fall under the conditions I listed are actually quite few.

Most of them are:
  • Trump tweets. No way we're banning these
  • There's also Posobiac, people know who that is I think, and the content is fairly obvious from the tweet, and a lot of the time the poster reacts to the tweet's content in some way.
  • Scott Adams tweets. Also falls within the scope.
  • James Woods tweets. Ditto
  • Undercover Huber tweets. Now, this is parody account (I believe?) but who it is doesn't really matter, the content does, and that is quite long, comes from a verifiable source, and is also commented on by the poster in question.
  • Tweets from news organization X. Falls within the scope IMO. If it's an out-there fake news source, it generally gets called out as such.
You get the idea. So really, how much content would you be pruning if you enacted a policy like this? Also, it would require a LOT of time from Amod to scan and make judgement calls on these types of posts along with the already implemented meme policy.
Let’s say I drop a Bernie Sanders, Stephen Colbert, or Sam Harris tweet. Where do those fall?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'll say it again, I'lltake those chromosome smugglers and potatoes over people who post random nobody Twitter posts with zero context or discussion of their own added

95% of the posts you make on these boards solely consist of you insulting someone with no other content to the post so forgive me for thinking your opinion is meaningless as to what constitutes a quality post.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Sanders is an actual politician. He has more business to be talked about than Peterson for example.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If we ALL have to put specific people on ignore to enjoy a thread and have actual discussion then why the fuck are these specific people even allowed in the thread? Fuck 'em all.

Because.... FREEEEDOM!

Remember, you can tell how much you believe in a right when someone uses it in a way you don't approve of.

• 2Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
95% of the posts you make on these boards solely consist of you insulting someone with no other content to the post so forgive me for thinking your opinion is meaningless as to what constitutes a quality post.
You are an uneducated line cook who barely makes a living wage, looks like a meth head, and has zero critical thinking skills. You opinion on literally anything means nothing to no one.

You are a drain on society and contribute less than nothing. The only thing that upsets me is that we do not yet have automated machines to make your existence meaningless and pointless, so you'd be put down and waste zero resources.

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 4 users

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Sanders is an actual politician. He has more business to be talked about than Peterson for example.
Or James Wood, whom I’m almost surprised was so brazenly mentioned as unconditionally acceptable.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
How is this shit thread with a shit idea not in the rickshaw yet?

• 2Like
Status
Not open for further replies.