Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
huge if true and IF you can make a lot of this into "wire" relatively inexpensively.
that will be the true challenge...mass production. just because it works "small" scale doesn't mean you get a lot cheaply
and can it be done in powerful enough wires to be avail for consumer. right now it is doing millivolts? milliamps? of power. we need these to be able to do 100's of volts 24/7/365

claims oh we can save 3 nuclear power plants worth of energy a year if all was switched..well that is the problem.
all switching, how many hundreds of thousands or millions of miles of wire/conduit this would be needed?
in new york city alone there are almost 6 thousand miles of roadways, each needing electricity lines to service each building. just doing major transmission lines would require probably around 100 thousand miles of this stuff. and it would take DECADES to do it all.

i see this stuff first coming out in SMALL electronics and then ramping up to larger electronics over time- again if this works and is about cost wise the same as copper....

They're not going to be building transmission lines out of this stuff any time soon. It will be a massive invention if they can just use it internally in microchips.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I've heard that all of the lithium ion batteries in the world have enough capacity to power the US grid for like 3 minutes if you could somehow hook them all up. Without huge advances in battery tech we aren't going to be running the grid on batteries anytime soon either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I may have posted this video elsewhere, but for those that haven't seen it, here is a good run down of at least one thing current battery research is focusing on (Sulfur based batteries):

University of Illinois energy department:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone done a retrospective on these types of "breakthroughs"? It feels like we are batting single digits over the past half century.

What's the most recent one? The internet? Human genome sequenced? Though I don't know if that has really led to much.
Would be fun to have a website that tracks breakthroughs and summarizes the reason it didn't break through shit.

"NEW DRUG EVISCERATES CANCER" ... "kills the patient..."

"NEW BATTERY TECH STORES 10X ENERGY AS LiON!" ... "loses charge in 3 seconds..."

"NEW PROPELLENTLESS DRIVE" ... "just reacts to the earth's magnetic field..."

Sadly, most areas of research don't terminate with the authors admitting defeat, but instead just drag on as long as the authors can find $$$ to continue research. Which is good. Scientists spending their entire career doggedly pursuing a few ideas and faking it till they make it is how break throughs get made.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Would be fun to have a website that tracks breakthroughs and summarizes the reason it didn't break through shit.

"NEW DRUG EVISCERATES CANCER" ... "kills the patient..."

"NEW BATTERY TECH STORES 10X ENERGY AS LiON!" ... "loses charge in 3 seconds..."

"NEW PROPELLENTLESS DRIVE" ... "just reacts to the earth's magnetic field..."

Sadly, most areas of research don't terminate with the authors admitting defeat, but instead just drag on as long as the authors can find $$$ to continue research. Which is good. Scientists spending their entire career doggedly pursuing a few ideas and faking it till they make it is how break throughs get made.
Gimmie a name to call it. I'll throw something together for e-peen points.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Saw the headlines for this, going to try it for my mother in law and myself/the wife

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
interesting.

Here's the article:

Individuals assigned to the olfactory enrichment group were provided with an odorant diffuser (Diffuser World) and 7 essential oil odorants (rose, orange, eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint, rosemary, and lavender; from The Essential Oil Company, Portland, OR)

Funding
This work was supported by Procter and Gamble.

hmmm

here's the products being looked at.

Despite the minimal variety of olfactory exposure each night, we observed a clear, statistically significant (Timepoint x Group interaction, F = 6.63, p = 0.02, Cohen’s d = 1.08, a large-size effect) 226% difference between enriched and control older adults in performance on the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test (RAVLT; last learning trial A5; Figure 2). This test evaluates verbal learning and memory, including proactive interference, retroactive interference, delayed recall, retention, and recognition memory. We found that 3 of 11 Controls improved, 1 of 11 stayed the same, 7 of 11 did worse. Among the Enriched group, 6 of 12 improved, 5 of 12 stayed the same, 1 of 12 did worse
fnins-17-1200448-g002.jpg

I'm not familiar enough with the RAVLT to understand how this result substantiates the headline of "Participants in this study reaped a 226% increase in cognitive capacity compared to the control group". For me, if you tell me a list of 15 words and ask me to repeat them back in order and I get 5 of them right, and then you have me sleep-sniff essential oil scent of dog farts for 6 months and ask me to repeat that test and tell me I improved by 226%, I'd better have repeated 18.3 of these fucking words, not +0.9 of them.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I mean it makes sense on some level. Humans very strongly associate smells or tastes with specific memories or experiences. Even if you can’t recall the specific experience or memory, you still recognize it as having been previously experienced, so your brain is working to make those connections even if the original data was from decades ago

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not an expert to say that there isn't anything to any of that study, but literally anything involving essential oils immediately triggers my skepticism. I'm sure they are a decent way to get different scents, but everything about essential oils is a massive scam focused on just selling more essential oils, so I'd much rather see a version that didn't focus on those.

Cybsled

It probably has less to do with essential oils than what the person associated the smell with. Oils are probably just an easier way to disperse the smells

Like if they used rose oil and as a kid your grandparents had roses in their garden, your brain starts making connections because of the memory associated with the smell

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Not really the same thing but since I go around listening to podcasts all day I've noticed when a podcast has a rerun I can always remember what I was doing the first time I heard the podcast and as I listen to it I can remember being in the tractor stacking bales or whatever I was doing the first time it played even if it was years ago.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not really the same thing but since I go around listening to podcasts all day I've noticed when a podcast has a rerun I can always remember what I was doing the first time I heard the podcast and as I listen to it I can remember being in the tractor stacking bales or whatever I was doing the first time it played even if it was years ago.
I listen to audio books while driving and doing yard work and I have a confused jumble of conflated connections to parts of a story and what I was doing at the time. I blitzed through the entire Cradle series while recovering from a surgery for a week and now whenever I remember that book series I think of the time I spent sitting in my zero gravity chair on my deck.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Sound/music has long been a mnemonic aid, so I'm not surprised that smell is too. I just can't ever buy an essential oil, so I'd need the scents from something else.

Whenever I listen to a particular album (Omen - Warning of Danger) I remember the Riftwar books by Raymond E. Feist, because I was reading them when I bought that album and played it on repeat for days. Same with Megadeth - Rust in Peace and this hot girl I did Biology lab with in college. She was into the same music so we played it all the time when writing up our reports. To hurt my theory, however, I have no fucking clue what her name was!

The Brady Bunch had an episode about them making a song to remember some facts for a test even. I can't find any clips of it, but it happened I swear!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Parachuting in here to drop this vid on seeing radiation with the naked eye using a “cloud chamber.”

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users