Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
anyone see the moon tonight? it was bright as shit
It was a blue moon

1693523492189.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

My understanding is they took some stem cells, got the cells to essentially create an embryo, and the embryo started to develop without being fertilized. They ended it after 2 weeks

It does make me wonder. If the stem cells are from a specific person (and thus the embryo uses their DNA) and the embryo would in theory still develop and you could implant this into a person to gestate and grow, wouldn’t this basically open the door to human cloning potentially?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I couldn't really tell what this means when I read it. Is this the equivalent of me throwing 6 pieces of glass and a license plate onto a log and saying I grew a whole model of a car without an engine or wheels?
I'd say its closer to you blending up a baby and then molding a meat popsicle out of the parts into the closest shape of a baby and saying "Look, now we're not experimenting on babies!"

They literally tear apart embryos and try to reassemble a new one out of the parts to avoid the ethical quagmires of experimenting on embryos. Coincidently, the research was done at a Science institute in Rehovot Isreal. Paper was a mega pain in the ass to read with its awful formatting and overuse of unexplained jargon I needed to google, so I gave up about a third in, but got the jist of it. I think they really didn't want people realizing that the source for their non embroys was strictly human embryos.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Decreases by 90%? You might as well say it does nothing at all when it comes to the world of bacteria.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Decreases by 90%? You might as well say it does nothing at all when it comes to the world of bacteria.
Might as well not brush your teeth at all? I have no idea what the growth rate of streptococcus is, or the normal prescribed brushing regiment reduces them much at all. Obviously there are a lot of factors here but less bacteria/biofilm > less plaque > healthier teeth makes sense to me *shrug*

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Might as well not brush your teeth at all? I have no idea what the growth rate of streptococcus is, or the normal prescribed brushing regiment reduces them much at all. Obviously there are a lot of factors here but less bacteria/biofilm > less plaque > healthier teeth makes sense to me *shrug*
I'm just saying, the stuff we have already is 99.999+% effective in 30 seconds. Bacteria can split in like 5 minutes, which means at a 90% kill rate you'd be back to equilibrium as fast as 15-20 minutes.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not an expert to say that there isn't anything to any of that study, but literally anything involving essential oils immediately triggers my skepticism. I'm sure they are a decent way to get different scents, but everything about essential oils is a massive scam focused on just selling more essential oils, so I'd much rather see a version that didn't focus on those.
Old post but whatever.
What's wrong with essential oils ? Chemically, they're just plant extract full of potent chemicals, some dangerous (cinnamon oil will burn your skin), some very dangerous (tea tree oil is suspected to be teratogen), some benign. Since nobody can't patent plant extract, and they are really easy to produce, all your 40 years old Karen become world known chemist because they boiled some mint leaves.
it doesn't lessen the fact that most drugs we're producing are patentable derivatives of naturally occurring compounds. I've worked on a device made to detect fake malaria drugs, and while the molecule found in plant would be readily available, we only tested its variations manufactured by Novartis and co. My young naïve self asked why, and the answer was a far cry from the humanitarian mission I thought I was part of.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Old post but whatever.
What's wrong with essential oils ? Chemically, they're just plant extract full of potent chemicals, some dangerous (cinnamon oil will burn your skin), some very dangerous (tea tree oil is suspected to be teratogen), some benign. Since nobody can't patent plant extract, and they are really easy to produce, all your 40 years old Karen become world known chemist because they boiled some mint leaves.
it doesn't lessen the fact that most drugs we're producing are patentable derivatives of naturally occurring compounds. I've worked on a device made to detect fake malaria drugs, and while the molecule found in plant would be readily available, we only tested its variations manufactured by Novartis and co. My young naïve self asked why, and the answer was a far cry from the humanitarian mission I thought I was part of.
I'm not an expert on this shit obviously, but when the only exposure to essential oils for most of us is retarded mothers posting on Facebook that their kid had a cold and they started using Thieves Oil and the kid miraculously got over it in a few days (as opposed to all the other kids that get over it in a few days without it), and you should totally sign up to be a distributor under her and make thousands of dollars from the privacy of your own home for a low low low investment that will directly enrich her, hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Just like everything, I'm sure there is a benefit somewhere to the stuff, but when it is buried under multi-level marketing bullshit, I'm a bit skeptical. Furthermore, if they actually did what they are claimed to do, doctors would be prescribing them constantly. Or the FDA would be rushing to approve them so that then doctors could be prescribing them constantly.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I'm not an expert on this shit obviously, but when the only exposure to essential oils for most of us is retarded mothers posting on Facebook that their kid had a cold and they started using Thieves Oil and the kid miraculously got over it in a few days (as opposed to all the other kids that get over it in a few days without it), and you should totally sign up to be a distributor under her and make thousands of dollars from the privacy of your own home for a low low low investment that will directly enrich her, hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Just like everything, I'm sure there is a benefit somewhere to the stuff, but when it is buried under multi-level marketing bullshit, I'm a bit skeptical. Furthermore, if they actually did what they are claimed to do, doctors would be prescribing them constantly. Or the FDA would be rushing to approve them so that then doctors could be prescribing them constantly.
My general view is to consider all this natural stuff as more prevention than cure.
Also, no one wants to find a study for a substance that won’t have a patentable outcome.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>

• 1Like