The Animal Activism Crazy Thread

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are a few people on my facebook that routinely post patently false rumors. Whenever I post a quick link to snopes or some fact check website they always respond with, "Oh, I didn't research it." Like it's some nerdy burden to double google stuff that sounds like bullshit.

That's why I like this community. If you post some shit like "ice cubes will kill dogs" your rerolled street cred drops drastically and takes years of competent thought to overcome.
Totally, you can be a stupid ass here and people will actually call you out on that shit. Facebook is an echo chamber, people just want to pat each other on the back and its full of fuckheads sharing nonsense. Try debunking an outright lie and you get blasted or ignored or blown off. I personally can't stand all anti-science and conspiracy theory hippie new age and tin foil hattery type shit. Sort of like what Eomer said.

Video somehow relevant to thread:

iannis

Musty Nester
Little known fact, Ice Cubes will actually kill dogs.

It's true. ejucate yoself.

icecube.wisc.edu

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They were talking about the rapper Ice Cube.

That motherfucker will kill your dog.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
God, I'm so sick of the "adopt this dog" shit. Yeah, I feel bad about them too, but I didn't cause any of it. My animals have come from friends or the pound. I don't need to see 5 different fucking sad/dying dogs every fucking day. I got my fill of it when Ravvenn was championing that shit. I'd almost rather send an X-Box at this point.

This one chick on my Facebook feed has gone mental the last few years, and I would have deleted her by now if she didn't occasionally provide me with some awesome entertainment. She posted some shit about a month ago about how McDonald's beef was only (some low number) % beef. Some other guy beat me to posting the Snopes link, so I replied something along the lines of, "I'm sure glad someone else checks Snopes besides me." Not 2 minutes later she posted (in all caps), "IT ISN'T ABOUT FUCKING SNOPES, DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

So I responded with, "Oh yeah, sorry about that. Hey, fun fact. Organic food is fertilized with dead babies. I read it on the internet, so DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

One less friend
frown.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That doesn't make much sense. It would seem the guy on top of the pyramid is the one that needs to be stopped to end the trade. But its a pyramid so wouldn't taking out a couple of the guys on the bottom cause the whole thing to fall?

Numbers_sl

shitlord
That doesn't make much sense. It would seem the guy on top of the pyramid is the one that needs to be stopped to end the trade. But its a pyramid so wouldn't taking out a couple of the guys on the bottom cause the whole thing to fall?
Kind of like arresting people for dime bags has worked out? Shake your head boy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lul, white ppl are stupid with shark fin. this, just like those other white ppl who are against japanese and dolphins will never end. only shark fin soup is deeply embedded in chinese culture, probably in asian culture.

some infos:

shark fin soup is real, and expensive so you usually have it at weddings and whatever ppl you want to impress. i've drank my fair share of shark fin soup, cuz i'm asian and every asian has drank it. (unless you're super unfortunate) the fin is tasteless and doesn't add anything to the soup, it's the soup/broth that has all the yumminess. basically ordering shark fin soup is akin to "taking out the fine china" when someone you want to impress comes over.

the problem is that since these dumb asians love their shark fin soup (i never said i agree'd with it), ppl hunt sharks like crazy for their fins, and just their fins. the problem is shark meat is worthless, no one wants to eat shark, you see shark on the menu next to escargot? so they just fish out live sharks, cut off their fins and throw them back in the water, b/c no one will buy the shark meat and this lets them catch more sharks. (also not being weighed down by meat that doesn't give you money is a great incentive to throw finless sharks overboard).

culturally every asian grows up thinking shark fin soup is the bomb diggity and is as necessary as a bride wearing white (in asian reddings it's red, but whatever), it's also at every chinese wedding menu, and is like wine, it's just part of the package. (i had to customize my wedding menu to not have shark fin, not b/c i cared about those stupid sharks, but b/c its stupid expensive and i would rather my guests eat higher quality food instead)

also isn't that poster a bit racisit? i'm guessing it's promoted by the australian WWF since the website ends in .au, but come on white ppl, it just seems like an anti asian poster. can't throw in a white captain or a white sous chef or something?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You just admitted yourself that shark fin soup is an Asian custom in whole and total, so why is it racist? This is the kind of thing where animal activism seems well founded. I'm not at all a person who supports feel good animal rights campaigns, or animals over humans, and I'm sure as fuck a meat eater. But fishing sharks and wantonly cutting off their fins iswastefuland irresponsible. Its the kind of selfish human behavior that causes ecological messes. Sharks are a top predator, you can't just decimate their populations and expect them to bounce back and it will have no effect on the balance of sea life. As human populations have grown, old customs have to be reconsidered for the modern age. Continuing to do something stupid out of pure tradition isn't acceptable.

iannis

Musty Nester
It seems like the market for sharkskin boots is just no longer profitable.

To me the travesty isn't killing the shark. It's cutting off its fin and then throwing it back. There have got to be more useful pieces of the shark than just its fin.

LAZY ASIANS

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nope, there's no demand for shark meat, at most they'd probably reuse the shark as bait for future sharks, but once they dock, no one wants to buy the shark meat, just the fins. it's pretty much like ocean poaching where they just take the rhino horn and leave the rhino to die.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Yes, its totally comparable to your obsession with legalizing weed.
Don't you have to diffuse new norms into a population before you try and enforce those norms as well as addressing the economic side of the equation to be at all useful?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The shark I caught and ate from the Atlantic was really good =\
This one chick on my Facebook feed has gone mental the last few years, and I would have deleted her by now if she didn't occasionally provide me with some awesome entertainment. She posted some shit about a month ago about how McDonald's beef was only (some low number) % beef. Some other guy beat me to posting the Snopes link, so I replied something along the lines of, "I'm sure glad someone else checks Snopes besides me." Not 2 minutes later she posted (in all caps), "IT ISN'T ABOUT FUCKING SNOPES, DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

So I responded with, "Oh yeah, sorry about that. Hey, fun fact. Organic food is fertilized with dead babies. I read it on the internet, so DON'T EAT THAT FUCKING SHIT, IT IS BAD FOR YOU!"

One less friend
frown.png
Heh, I snopes my mother in law over that McDonalds beef thing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have given up trying to educate most of my facebook friends. I will only bother with family members. This gem was on my feed yesterday.

rrr_img_69864.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
its what makes fission possible. u want fission going on inside you?? gawd how fucking dumb are u?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For a second I thought they were referring to printed circuit boards and I was genuinely confused as to why they were pissed about that

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Here's the latest crazy. I didn't attach the 30 pages of insults being thrown my way after I mentioned I use it as a training tool for my dog.

rrr_img_70217.jpg