Warhammer 40k

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Put together the chaos half of shadowspear last week. Kit is amazing. Was not impressed with the venomcrawler in the one game I played but the model gorgeous.
Who has 2 thumbs and would be interested in splitting a box for the primaris half

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The rumor mill has it that Shadowspear will be discontinued really soon? That kind of pisses me off, unless they plan on rolling it over into different permanent individual kits. Thing is...if they do that, why buy it if separate kits might be on the way? Conversely, if they don't and Shadowspear just poofs, then you're just kind of boned if you missed it. Either way these kind of releases just leave me scratching my head.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I hate these releases too. I'm an certain the box will go away, they will release them individually in about 4 to 6 months and they will be way more expensive individually. The characters will be $35 each, the troops will be boxes for 50-60...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I've had this conversation with a lot of the local gamers.

Like who the fuck is buying these board games for the board game?

• 2Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I hate these releases too. I'm an certain the box will go away, they will release them individually in about 4 to 6 months and they will be way more expensive individually. The characters will be $35 each, the troops will be boxes for 50-60...
One thing that blows my mind is...from my POV at least...how incredibly unpopular the loyalists half of the boxes sometimes are. The Dark Angels from Dark Vengeance, I just didn't see much (any) interest besides maybe one player, and the rest was Chaos players buying boxes and sticking half the models in a drawer.

Though that reminds me...I should probably stop playing vidya games so much, and try remodeling the DA models into CSM...but I digress.

I feel the same way with Shadowspear. How many players are tripping over themselves trying to get the Vanguards?

I get that GW doesn't want to have to deal with as much unsold stock. But I'm still waiting on MPK Chosen and Cultists.

What I still need to do is find some Space Crusade/Mission Dreadnought...dreadnoughts...with all the weapon options. Maybe on Ebay. Because those I don't have (though the last fucking thing I need is more dreads)

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hello Warhammer nerds. I’ve never played warhammer but I’ve followed it off and on since I was like 12. I also will not be getting into it as I don’t have the time nor know any groups that play. I’ve always loved the setting, art, brutality, etc.

My question is, are there any 40k novels that are actually decent Books/stories? I’d like to learn more about the characters, factions, lore. I really just know the factions and a few leader names and that’s it. So, looking for novels that introduce you to the world as if you have no idea about any of that stuff. I’m going to be traveling a bit more for work and figured I’d get back into reading. I’ve read hundreds of sci/fi fantasy novels and have always been curious about the warhammer books I see, but no idea where to start or if it’s even feasible with how little knowledge I have.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anything by Dan Abnett: Eisenhorn trilogy. Ravenor Trilogy. Gaunt's Ghost series. However, they are going to be pricey (unless you have a used book store near you) because they're out of print and in demand.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Horus Heresy stuff is very good. The codex's have some good stuff in them as well. Here's a link to the codex's but I don't think they have the books - MEGA

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Necropolis in the gaunts ghosts series is a good place to start to get a feel for the world it basically is Stalingrad set in the 40k universe. Really good. Eisenhorn is good but a bit higher power levels.

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
This guy has a bunch of videos that do a good job breaking down the lore. This is a good one to start with.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This guy has a bunch of videos that do a good job breaking down the lore. This is a good one to start with.

Listened to the first two while driving through a blizzard to St. Louis. Good stuff, I love the. Umbers they use, everything’s so epic in scale. Sacrifice thousands of psychers per day to keep the emperors going. Virus bomb a planet, 12 billion dead. No big deal, there’s a million more planets!

Thanks, I’ll listen to some more on my drive back home later this week. I like how that has only covered the humans, hasn’t even touched on any other race lol.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Chaos is Love. Chaos is Life.

(even though they've changed Chaos to be nothing but a one-sided trope nowadays)

• 1Solidarity

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Listened to the first two while driving through a blizzard to St. Louis. Good stuff, I love the. Umbers they use, everything’s so epic in scale. Sacrifice thousands of psychers per day to keep the emperors going. Virus bomb a planet, 12 billion dead. No big deal, there’s a million more planets!

Thanks, I’ll listen to some more on my drive back home later this week. I like how that has only covered the humans, hasn’t even touched on any other race lol.

Yeah I listened to 3 of them while playing Total War Warhammer this morning.. great stuff

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

He has other videos covering the other races and chaos ECT. All worth watching

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
He has other videos covering the other races and chaos ECT. All worth watching

I will keep going. The drive to St. Louis is really boring and I do it a few times a year. It makes the time go faster when you’re following stories rather than just music.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm a huge Grey Knights fan, Pandorax was fun a good read, The emperors gift is probably the best one, also the audio books for the Knights errant during the horrus heresy are well done, I can share them with you if you want them. Also Beast arises series is great and the audio books will get you through months of driving.

• 1Like

Jais

Trakanon Raider
At some point I found a link to a lot of the Codexs to be viewed for free online somewhere on FoH. I don't play the tabletop, I don't (yet) read the books but I do like the lore. Anyone have a link?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

If you really dig the lore then pick up some of the 40k anthology books. They are mostly on that epic scale; there is even one called Planetkill which is a whole book about stories where a planet is dying in different ways. Hell, some of the huge story lines have whole star systems exploding in one fucking paragraph.

• 1Like